Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops annual service for as needed service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thoroughly lost now. I got my Model S in Feb. 2013 and bought the 4+4. In 2 days, I'm going in for my 6th visit, like 3-4 months late. :oops: Although since I've put on more miles than whatever-amount-per-year, I have a some vague recollection that they doubled up service once or twice to catch up on things that needed doing/checking, although I believe the guy said I had a couple of service visits yet, so I don't know if I'm just confused about that extra service thing?!

I guess I'll ask them Friday to explain it to me using words of one syllable, as if I were a very, very small child. :p

I went to the service center in Santa Clara, CA with my 2016 Model X - had a key FOB battery warning. I have a 4 year maintenance contract and they still charged me $22 (parts and labor) to replace the batteries on my key fobs!! Not sure what my $2750 maintenance contract buys me when it does not cover parts and labor on a part that cost $2 each! (marked up to $6 each of course). Well, I did not want to argue for this and paid it :-(

I went to the service center in Santa Clara, CA with my 2016 Model X - had a key FOB battery warning. I have a 4 year maintenance contract and they still charged me $22 (parts and labor) to replace the batteries on my key fobs!! Not sure what my $2750 maintenance contract buys me when it does not cover parts and labor on a part that cost $2 each! (marked up to $6 each of course). Well, I did not want to argue for this and paid it :-(
I think Tesla said they would refund the unused portion of service contracts.

Hmm, you'd think they'd take the $22 off that $2750.

Well, my quote for tomorrow's maintenance and warranty work is just the flat $200 under the ESA; everything else was listed as being $0. So maybe my SC hasn't gotten around to this yet. It was interesting they sent me a list ahead of time, a PDF I had to "sign"; that's new to me. There was warning that if I wanted any thing additional looked at/done - unless safety related - I'd have to reschedule. I guess they're really busy (shock). Still, that was new to me. And given they and I now have a contract for my service, it'd be nice if they honored it instead of trying to charge me when I just signed something saying it was $0 because I have maintenance pre-paid. And of course, there's the fact that they haven't actually contacted me to tell me my pre-paid service is junk now. . . . Hmm. Did they actually contact anyone? I expected I'd be getting one of those mass e-mails or what-not.

Hmm, you'd think they'd take the $22 off that $2750.

Well, my quote for tomorrow's maintenance and warranty work is just the flat $200 under the ESA; everything else was listed as being $0. So maybe my SC hasn't gotten around to this yet. It was interesting they sent me a list ahead of time, a PDF I had to "sign"; that's new to me. There was warning that if I wanted any thing additional looked at/done - unless safety related - I'd have to reschedule. I guess they're really busy (shock). Still, that was new to me. And given they and I now have a contract for my service, it'd be nice if they honored it instead of trying to charge me when I just signed something saying it was $0 because I have maintenance pre-paid. And of course, there's the fact that they haven't actually contacted me to tell me my pre-paid service is junk now. . . . Hmm. Did they actually contact anyone? I expected I'd be getting one of those mass e-mails or what-not.

Yes, the new approach is to send you an agreement in advance to have the work done, and if you want more stuff, you risk getting a different date. I believe that is to improve the efficiency of repairs. It worked quickly for me so I accept the logic of it. They also have been charging for some things for a long time, eg, the brake service if you want it done (now only suggested every 2 years). Big stuff is still covered.

Isn’t there a $250 deductible for repairs under the extended maintenance?