TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Drops Coil Suspension for Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by emchen, Oct 12, 2016.

1. emchen

emchen Member

Got a call from corporate today that our Model X 70D (now 75D), ordered in January, with coil suspension, will be built with SAS after-all. We are going to be charged half-price like everyone who took the offer months ago, $1250 with no alternative. Rep added that there have never been and never will be any Model X's built with coil.

• Informative x 2
  2. TacC

TacC Member

I thought coil suspension was dropped when the 60 and base white were dropped. Seems odd that it would take nearly a week to give you a ring.

Kudos to you for sticking to your guns on the coil suspension. I just wish you had more to show for it.

3. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Seems to me anyone still holding out should get SAS for free. Otherwise they're raising the price both parties agreed to.

Maybe they could give you SAS and just software limit you to just one height. :D

• Funny x 2
  4. outie

outie Member

They are definitely capable of doing that in the software. However, I guess most people who opt for coil is to avoid high(er) maintenance cost of SAS besides the added initial option cost. With a software limited SAS it's still prone to failure and let's say if it fails after warranty how much are you supposed to pay for the repair? SAS price? That doesn't make sense.

5. emchen

emchen Member

Yeah!

*Raises fist in the air.

They should pay us for the "upgrade"! ;-)

Doesn't hurt to wish.

• Like x 1
  6. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Should be free.

I wonder if they are cutting some things like this in order to focus more resources on the Model 3.

• Like x 2
  7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Doubt it. I don't see how building the X only with air suspension has anything to do with the 3. My guess is that the percentage of X orders with coils has been very low, and it simplifies production if the X is only built with air suspension.

8. flyhigh123

flyhigh123 Member

well that sucks... i had coil and went sas... but to force you to pay more isnt right either.... they should discount the 1250 further, maybe like $500 to be fair since you are being forced into something.

9. RobW2428

RobW2428 Member

Seems like it ought to be free for you. Sorry bout that.

10. maratd

maratd Member

Yup, same situation. Got another call from them today. Same offer. Doesn't seem like a good way to treat clients dropping 6 figures.

11. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

They make a half price offer, you can refuse, and they'll refund your $5000 deposit and say have a nice day. An X with the same features I ordered back in Feb. is now $6000 more expensive. So if I want an X (I do), it's cheaper to accept their offer than start all over again. And as the coils aren't an option anymore you'd end up with an X with SAS anyway.

• Helpful x 1
  12. maratd

maratd Member

Yes, of course. And nobody is saying they're not within their rights to do what they're doing.

It's just a dick move.

They lied by saying the car will be delivered while holding on to our cash. Not just once, repeatedly. Then they demanded more money if we ever want to see the car. Nice.

I would be out of business real quick if I treated my clients this way.

13. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

Don't see anything evil or nefarious or even bad juju here. Just normal contract stuff. Here's the relevant section from the purchase agreement:

So they could just cancel them all, and make everyone re-up at higher prices. They didn't do that, and offered a reasonable discount instead. Not seeing the drama here.

14. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Sounds like it was a victim of not enough demand.

The SAS is more appealing in an SUV vehicle, and a lot of the pro's of coil suspension aren't as applicable on the X.

To me it was a mistake for offering it in the first place.

15. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

I see this as being part of the danger of dealing with a relatively new company. Tesla does not have a long history from which to draw conclusions about which options, option packages, or even colors they should offer. We've seen them tweak things in a way that seem inexplicable to us as customers, but I assume there's plenty of actuarial work in the background that justifies those decisions. Tesla, as a company, is still in reasonably existential danger. They don't really have a huge war chest of cash that allows them to sell cars with lower margins just to get marketshare. If the added cost, complexity and time of offering any specific option isn't worth it to them, then we just have to deal with it because we're buying cars from a company that is younger than most other manufacturer's supplier contracts.

• Helpful x 1