Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops solid white as a color choice - speculation as to why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
removing white is such an counter intuitive choice. Its the best hot weather color for any car. All those dark colors are lethal to touch after they've been in the sun - and then the AC has to work overtime to drag the inside temperature down.
As AC is the biggest battery drain after the traction motor you would think they would be doing everything to help - but it seems the other way around.
Give me white every time - especially in Texas.

Why did the price for the sound system instantly jump from $900 to $2,500? Wheels from $3,500 to $4,500? Etc, etc, etc. Mo money, mo money, mo money, and......because they can. While most car manufacturers set pricing down to the last dollar based on a specified profit margin of x percent, Tesla charges whatever they want because people pay it. The Model S is a cash printing machine. Added options give them the C note printing plates. There's a reason their guaranteed buyback for the base model was 50% and options were only 40% (if I remember correctly). There's a reason the lease rate un-proportionately goes up as you add options and there's a reason a fully loaded P85D or P90D depreciates at a much greater rate than does a base model 75. Options are a cash cow. Seriously, $1,500 more for a gallon of paint in a different color?? Because they can and because most will pay it and now, other than solid black, if you want a Tesla, you'll be forced to pay at least $1,000 for your color choice. Still blows me away that its $40,000 to go from a 90D to a P100D. All you really get for $40,000 is a car that accelerates quicker, oh and some paint on the brake calipers! The extra 10 or 15 miles in range doesn't allow you to skip any Superchargers on long trips or make the car charge any faster. Again, because they can!!

I love my Model S. Certainly have never spent as much as I did on it before on any car ever, not even half as much. While I can afford it, it was a slight stretch. My car is a year old. With all the changes over the past year, sadly they've priced me out of the Tesla market (to replace the same car as-is). So once its time for my car to go, unless I want to seriously downsize to the Model 3, I may be forced to choose something else. But, right now, Tesla really is the only game in town for this type of car, so that gives them the power to do what they do. As soon as Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, etc. all come out with their higher end EV's, Tesla will no longer be able to get away with their pricing tactics. There will finally be "competition", which will be good for the consumer. By then, with the Model 3 already developed and in production, they'll be able to afford to be more reasonable on pricing. For now, we continue to pay for the development of the Model 3.

Reactions: OlavA
Perl white is nice, but:
1. When parked next to a solid white car, it looks "dimmer" , as if it needs a wash.
2. Whenever you need to use touch-up paint, it takes 2 layers and it a lot more effort to make it match (on some larger patches it never quite matches as well as solid white)

I've owned both, would pick solid white every time.

I was going to make this same topic. I was playing in the design studio last night with Model S's, and I noticed the base white wasn't there.

I have a very early first day reservation for a Model 3. I will not take a black car at any price, and I don't want to pay extra for any color. I was planning on getting a plain white color, not that pearl stuff. I'd only pay extra for paint if it were a nice bright color I liked. And NONE of the Model S colors qualify for that.

OK. I do not understand this change in colors.

Why would a company drop the most popular color in America? Unless I am out of date, white has been the perennial top color for quite some time. But what really kills me is the drop of the Titanium. OMG, the car looks fantastic in that color. Both S and X. Maybe I have no taste (except in my mouth), but I love that color and would have chosen that if it were available at the time. Though I really do love my Steel Grey-turned Midnight Silver-whatever.

Seriously, I am trying to figure out what their strategy is for appealing to those who are just interested in buying a car, as opposed to the koolaid drinkers like me and presumably y'all. It's so important that they appeal to the masses for success.

As a boss of mine said when I was young: "cater to the masses, eat with the elite". Tesla needs to move to a mass market approach in order to be successful. My hope is that the M3 will be that. But to date, they have done nothing but but sell more and more expensive versions of our cars.

Can they make the transition? I am still wondering.

Maybe they have a different color, that they will announce when all the current ordered white cars have been produced.

Yeah, maybe. But white is a staple color. The only viable excuse or reason would be if they ran out of this specific white color and need to place a volume order for another white that might be shaded slightly different. I also liked Ti and it was my second choice. Classy, rich color.

They should be adding colors not deleting.

I would also like to know HOW an optional color costs $1000. Tesla is getting a huge discount for buying paint in bulk quantities, there's no way I am going to believe that they are putting $1000 worth of paint on the car, even if some special prep is needed!

And for what they charge for paint, I am very disappointed to see the underside of the car not completely coated in body color paint! I don't care if it is aluminum or not, if I have to pay for paint, I want paint EVERYWHERE!!! No bare metal at all or primered surfaces!

• Funny
Reactions: calisnow