Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops solid white as a color choice - speculation as to why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a little surprised to see how many like / love the white color on cars. Obviously, car color is a very personal decision and choice. I personally don't like white cars, but I see people's perspective that it's an easy color to take care of. I'm sure there are plenty of people think my blue is unsightly :(. To each of their own, I guess.

I am a little surprised to see how many like / love the white color on cars. Obviously, car color is a very personal decision and choice. I personally don't like white cars, but I see people's perspective that it's an easy color to take care of. I'm sure there are plenty of people think my blue is unsightly :(. To each of their own, I guess.

I never thought I'd own a white car. Actually most of my cars have been a metallic/dark grey color. I went with solid white on the Model S for two reasons -- one, I couldn't justify spending $500-$1500 on a color that didn't truly excite me and they really didn't have any unique offerings, and two, it just looked good with the giant black glass roof. I continued that look by going with the light grey interior with black ash trim. No regrets about it at all.

For me, it depends on the car. My previous cars were dark grey, dark blue and black. However, about 15 years ago when I purchased a BMW, I thought it looked good in either black or white. Living in Florida, White again was the smart choice for me. It wasn't until the Model S, that I thought White would look best to me. I would love to get a Model S in Black, but our spring/summer temps make this even more of an oven when sitting outside and I learned the hard way with my previous choices. I actually like each color offered for the Model S, including the Titanium color that has been eliminated.

Did my solid white S just go up $1000 in value? :)
This is my first white everyday car. (Had a white Corvette weekender)
I am finding it always dirty and those damn bugs on the front grill are so noticable. I hadn't realized what a serial bug-killer I was until driving white.

• Funny
Reactions: TrevTremaine
It's really bizarre since white is the energy saving summer color for those who live in sunny climates. Less AC required.

OR... they found that when they made the cars fully automonous, the white cars would only navigate to Starbucks and GOP rallies?

KIDDING!!

• Funny
Reactions: alseTrick
Is there a chance this is temporary? Tesla is always messing with things, and maybe they are just upgrading a paint line. I've heard of bigger car companies stopping certain colors for some time periods when they do things in factories, and then bringing them back:

Grand Cherokee, Durango Limited Colors for Paint Shop Upgrade

This may just be Tesla's way of getting the white cars out of the queue. Which appears it would happen near the end of the year, since an order placed Oct 1 would be early Dec delivery. Then they can do whatever change, and bring it back at some point.

Yes. They discontinued solid black for a short period as well before bringing it back. If I recall correctly, it happened right around the time they killed the old green and blue colors. Could be that more color changes are on the way.

I didn't see anybody mention this upthread, but Tesla dropped solid white for a few days last year (April 2015 according to the Options Wiki), then brought it back. As I recall there was a similar tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth here on TMC. :)

(They also dropped silver (for a somewhat longer time) and then brought it back.)

Bruce.

I have solid white. I agonized about pearl white vs solid white and I was never able to see the solid white in person before I ordered.

A few days ago I saw both side-by-side. I am so glad I got the solid white. The pearl is nice but to me the brightness of the solid white stands out.

I waffled a lot on options for my Model S, but at the end of the day I am super happy:
  • Cloth seats. If you don't feel you need leather, get the textile seats. They look great, are high-quality, feel great, and save $2500 that you can put into something else.
  • Base audio. Unless you listen to music with thumping bass, you won't miss the upgraded audio in my opinion.

Noooo another reason I can't upgrade now. Solid white with spoiler and black rims all day!
Yea, I know it sounds like an excuse but it can be surprisingly important - when spending this much money the car should come in a color I like (which is white). I was seriously thinking of picking up a second Tesla, but it would be parking next to the solid white one, and pearl white to me almost always looks yellowish and/or aged, or like it needs a wash - but only when next to a solid white car (I had pearl white Lexus and Porsche in the past, always avoided parking them next to solid white cars). Pearl white is also impossible to match with touch up paint, so for me, I don't want pearl white even if it was a free upgrade.

Reactions: Naonak
Concur--from only a few feet away, they look the same.

BAD MOVE TESLA!

The pearl white has been a nightmare to match on our older P85 and we remain disappointed with Tesla's boneheaded move on this.
I agree. We bought our first (and only) pearl white car in 2014 and a few weeks later a tiny (less than a dime size) nick of the pain only happened in a parking lot while we were inside shopping. With any other car I have ever had, it would be a quick touch up job by a airbrush guy but we found out the only suitable fix was a full repaint of the bumper and even then it would likely not match the surrounding panels exactly. No more pearl white for this family.