Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Email: $30,000 Off P100D!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and will end up with market distortion with buyers holding off for quarterly firesales, pehaps only to be disappointed in a particular quarter and actually end up not buying at all.

Fool me once ...
^This^ Why would anyone with an ounce of financial sense not wait for Tesla's recent pattern of the pump and dump quarterly fire sale to purchase?

^This^ Why would anyone with an ounce of financial sense not wait for Tesla's recent pattern of the pump and dump quarterly fire sale to purchase?

I have to say, I am kind of thinking the same. However, for some reason some people are very skeptical of buying a demo/loaner car with low mileage and thus would apparently rather spend more and buy new. I am not one of those people, I am also relieved it's not new so I don't have to have panic attacks in the beginning trying to avoid inevitable small signs of wear and tear

Reactions: pilotSteve
@P100D_OSLO Did you see this on the website? I was just looking myself and I didn't see anything that indicated these types of incentives were being offered.

I bought my Inventory car on the Norwegian Tesla website under "New Inventory". Previous price was NOK 1.342.000 ($165,000) when built in April 2017, current new build price after price reduction on packages and P100D model is NOK 1.190.000 ($147,000) and price offered for my demo vechicle driven 11,000 km (6,800 miles) was NOK 1.025.000 ($128,000). Meaning a cool $20,000 off sticker price compared to a new build and an even bigger discount when compared to historical P100D prices :D

Here is the section on the US website, looks like a couple P100Ds are still available! New Inventory | Tesla

No SuperCharger experience here, still waiting on my Model 3. Are you saying that between 1/3 to 1/2 of SuperCharger stalls are typically inoperable?

No, 99% of the stalls work. But there are other considerations than ON vs OFF aka Works vs Doesn't Work.

Some entire sites are slower than they should be. Some individual stalls are slower than they should be. If it's the entire site and you are in an area with options you might go to another supercharger location to avoid that one. If it is just a single stall that is slow you might just move over one and be better off.

To add to that even if all the sites work to designed speeds there are multiple versions of the supercharger hardware with various top charging rates.

Now would his proposed maintenance cover just cleaning contacts and/or replacing connectors? Would he add in upgrading from older hardware to newer hardware?

Even if it wouldn't be under the category of "maintenance" some sites have poor electrical grid feed and could be improved by adding Powerpack(s) to essentially act as UPS to make charging be unaffected by noisy power or any sort of brownout type issue. Tesla Powerpack

Long and the short of it is no the superchargers aren't anywhere near as unreliable as your question implies, but yes there are a variety of random issues from location to location.

Have to say - Elon is right. I for one am unimpressed with some of Tesla's recent antics.

It also clobbers the wider resale market so all existing owners lose too - ie most of us here.

If Tesla offers massive $30K discounts this will become increasingly common knowledge to the wider public. High spec cars depreciate iro 25-30% in year one; doubling that to 50-60% is not an attractive proposition to even the most fanataical buyer. And if the top ones collapse in resale price, the ones further down the range get hit too

Furthermore this will damage future sales of top spec models in particular (ie those with the greatest margin and greatest revenue to Tesla) and will end up with market distortion with buyers holding off for quarterly firesales, pehaps only to be disappointed in a particular quarter and actually end up not buying at all.

Add to that reports of 100D performance improving to 3.3 sec which haven't been debunked yet, this picture being painted to me is that Tesla, not for the first time, are in a sales/marketing mess, and this mess is fundamentally of their own making and at the expense of their existing owners.

Nobody questions Tesla pushing the boundaries, however when they have no peers today for them to apparently trip over their own feet trying to outdo themselves is unseemly and ultimately damaging to ... Tesla.

Tesla would do well to remember

Fool me once ...

Umm...what?! Are you saying you actually believe the previous claim Leon made about not authorizing the heavy discounting in Q3 2016, and now he has actually managed to fool you again that he is unaware of these latest discounts?! Sorry if I have misinterpreted your post.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
To clarify - Elon is right in what he publically stated to the effect that discounting is bad and should not be repeated as it devalues the product.

This is a long term view of value, not a short term shabby quarter based scramble.

How much he knows of this quarter's antics, or has personally sanctioned, neither you nor me will ever know.

Ultimately demonstrating that Tesla vehicles have the lowest depreciation of any automaker will do more for the long term success of Tesla than most anything else.

Most owners never come near this forum so are not influenced by the (great) detail debates that take place here, they merely buy a vehicle, and may prioritize Tesla for environmental or other reaons, but will mostly judge it by how much it costs to own.
Discounting destroys this, never mind messing up the cognisant prospective purchasers who may now wait for EOQ only to find that particular quarter there are no bargains therefore pass on the opportunity.

Why can I say this?

Well, for the exact reason that this was me, personally, at end of Q2 looking for a New Inventory P100D; none were available at the sort of discounts I had seen Inventory vehicles go in a previous quorter, so I passed on the sale.
Purely by fluke an acquaintance sold me his vehicle privately (via a broker) so I got my P100D in the end.
Tesla though lost a sale to me.
I now look with shock at the discounts on offer and realise that had I bought Inventory from Tesla last Quarter I would now be staring at a 30K loss less than 3 months later. Had I been caught in this way I can guarantee I would be right up there as the most pissed Tesla owner around.

There is a further bizarre twist to all this.

The number of heavily discounted inventory vehicles involved is tiny comapred to a quarter's turnover.
So any extra sales will be almost insignificant statistically.

The damage would appear to far outweigh any possible advantage.

I've heard that due to the recent coverage of the "fire sale" emails going around, Tesla pulled a lot of their inventory back and is not advertising it publicly where EV-CPO and other sites can see it. They've gone back to the internal sales tactics where quite a few of us have garnered great deals, and they even launched a new looking sales portal that I saw when I was killing time in the showroom in Buena Park while charging yesterday.

Reactions: bhuwan
I've heard that due to the recent coverage of the "fire sale" emails going around, Tesla pulled a lot of their inventory back and is not advertising it publicly where EV-CPO and other sites can see it. They've gone back to the internal sales tactics where quite a few of us have garnered great deals, and they even launched a new looking sales portal that I saw when I was killing time in the showroom in Buena Park while charging yesterday.
So is your OA able to get some better deals?

So is your OA able to get some better deals?

To be honest, I don't know. I've been busy with work and I asked him to call me if he found me a deal too good to pass up and he did. After we picked out our new X and S, I kinda stopped looking. I've heard others getting deals from him but I don't know if their deals of the century though.

So many people have been messaging me on here asking questions and to look for cars for them thinking I work for Tesla.

To be honest, I don't know. I've been busy with work and I asked him to call me if he found me a deal too good to pass up and he did. After we picked out our new X and S, I kinda stopped looking. I've heard others getting deals from him but I don't know if their deals of the century though.

So many people have been messaging me on here asking questions and to look for cars for them thinking I work for Tesla.
If he posts a deal of Century, be sure to pass it on :)

I now look with shock at the discounts on offer and realise that had I bought Inventory from Tesla last Quarter I would now be staring at a 30K loss less than 3 months later.

To be fair, it is not a $30k discount from today's prices—that is the discount from its original selling price. First Tesla rolled the PUP and Premium interior into the base price, effectively discounting the car by $8300 for anyone who wanted those options (or $8800 for anyone who wanted carbon fiber, too). Then, more recently, they lowered the base price by $5k, netting an effective lowering of price by $13,300 (or $13,800). So that $30k discount really amounts to $16k-17k from today's prices.

Have to say - Elon is right. I for one am unimpressed with some of Tesla's recent antics.

It also clobbers the wider resale market so all existing owners lose too - ie most of us here.

If Tesla offers massive $30K discounts this will become increasingly common knowledge to the wider public. High spec cars depreciate iro 25-30% in year one; doubling that to 50-60% is not an attractive proposition to even the most fanataical buyer. And if the top ones collapse in resale price, the ones further down the range get hit too

Furthermore this will damage future sales of top spec models in particular (ie those with the greatest margin and greatest revenue to Tesla) and will end up with market distortion with buyers holding off for quarterly firesales, pehaps only to be disappointed in a particular quarter and actually end up not buying at all.

Add to that reports of 100D performance improving to 3.3 sec which haven't been debunked yet, this picture being painted to me is that Tesla, not for the first time, are in a sales/marketing mess, and this mess is fundamentally of their own making and at the expense of their existing owners.

Nobody questions Tesla pushing the boundaries, however when they have no peers today for them to apparently trip over their own feet trying to outdo themselves is unseemly and ultimately damaging to ... Tesla.

Tesla would do well to remember

Fool me once ...

They are desperate to move iron ... typical auto company behavior. Can't believe they would do this damage to their margins and their (past and potentially repeat) customers if they had any other choice.

Look for negotiated pricing and commissioned sales associates in leisure suits next ...

Reactions: u00mem9
They make $45K on P100D's - dropping it some doesn't hurt that much, also if they able to cut the price of battery production by 50% it will also increase their margins to help offset the cost of the overall car.
Keep in mind this is more of an iphone sales model not a car sales model. Everyone speculates that something new is coming - so unit sales slow down.

@thegruf , we all understand why discounting is bad for current owners, and bad for Tesla long term. Yet it continues.

Elon leaked some BS impassioned plea that it would never happen again. I found it hilarious, but some of the true believers asked for a second glass of kook aid. The point is, the discounting continues.

Obvious conclusions include: Elon lied about discounts, and since he personally explained in depth why they are counterproductive long-term, it means Tesla feels they have no choice. I'm not sure how worried I am about a fall off in sales, but when you're selling a growth story with a valuation 100x future earnings, it would tend to change your focus!