Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Email: $30,000 Off P100D!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious why many on this forum seem to think a 'major' interior update is on its way? Tesla has consistently gone the 'minor update' route for the past 2-3 yrs. This has provided the added advantage of continually refreshing the interior over time and ensuring that the market for the model S remains consistent and fresh.

From what I've seen, opinions by owners/forum members tend to differ from how the general public or non -Tesla owner seems to view the exterior/interior. Ie. just today I had 3 people come up to my vehicle at a car wash and for 25min all were extremely intrigued and wow'd by the ext and interior...namely the minimalist look and how futuristic the console looked. All of them were completely taken with the interior and how amazing the screen interface was, how simple and intuitive the design was, how well crafted the ergonomics were etc etc. I chuckled internally as I remember feeling the same prior to our purchase! What I'm implying here is that Tesla owners become quite accustomed to what they have and over time their opinions and desires to look for change with some of the 'faults' start to translate into comments like 'refresh needed..interior not good enough, we need more, lacking in this, that or the other '. However to put it into a larger context, non-Tesla owners still adore the model both in and out. They don't see the faults we do and are thus not demanding anything with respect to any major refresh...WE are! They just see the most technologically advanced vehicle ever produced wrapped in a beautiful package right out of the 22nd century! Which it truly is :)

Tesla knows this as well. They are marketing to new ice owners and trying to get the general public to come on board and adopt EV tech for the greater good of the world. In the eyes of those who don't own a Tesla or those who have recently purchased ...it is absolutely perfect as is. All I'm saying is that business decisions made by Tesla are not solely for the purpose of satisfying the needs of existing owners nor creating their design strategy based on those who are already convinced. They will take into account general consumer demand as well as competition within the industry. Ie. Chevy bolt, Nissan Leaf etc. For now until Lucid air, Faraday Future or even Merc, Volvo or any of the traditional auto companies provide a truly competitive model, Tesla's design is still top of the game in its class category.

I suspect we will see more minor updates as has been occurring every quarter or bi-yearly as this has worked thus far in keeping the interior constantly updated. Ie. door pockets, handles, maybe different trim, perhaps auto open/close as with model X.

As for Model 3, Model S and X may eventually start moving more towards a more luxurious version of the newer updated M3 design to keep all models coherent in style.

My 2 cents :)

You make some good points with regards to people being wowed by the interior, etc... However, I have noticed that typically those most wowed by the interior of a Tesla are not familiar with modern luxury car interiors. With the advent of the Model 3 and it's interior being on par with the Model S, along with the fact that many modern luxury cars interiors (Audi, MB, etc...) are on par with Teslas, and in most cases exceed Teslas design by a wide margin, the target market for the Model S is those Luxury car buyers - so you need a really awesome interior to wow THOSE people. You don't need to wow the Sentra drivers, necessarily - they aren't the ones that are going to be buying the Model S. You need to woo the people ready to drop north of $100k on a car at this point and the current interior is ... not really it. Not by a long shot.

With those two things in play, I think that's why we're going to see a major refresh of the interior sooner rather than later. It hasn't really changed since launch, whereas a lot of other features have. Nosecone, AP1, AP2, Dual Motor, etc... But going from my 2012 to my 2013, I notice very little difference, except the seats, otherwise, it's identical. I probably wouldn't even notice the seats if I didn't sit in them.

The interior is the next logical update on par with the nosecone update. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we don't see a rotated center screen ala the Model 3 - but, I can definitely see Tesla leaving it vertical to differentiate from the Model 3. But much like the cluster screen from early models to current models, I expect a major resolution bump regardless of orientation. Right now, the screen is looking a little fuzzy compared to smart phones and other screens people are used to seeing at this point.

You make some good points with regards to people being wowed by the interior, etc... However, I have noticed that typically those most wowed by the interior of a Tesla are not familiar with modern luxury car interiors. With the advent of the Model 3 and it's interior being on par with the Model S, along with the fact that many modern luxury cars interiors (Audi, MB, etc...) are on par with Teslas, and in most cases exceed Teslas design by a wide margin, the target market for the Model S is those Luxury car buyers - so you need a really awesome interior to wow THOSE people. You don't need to wow the Sentra drivers, necessarily - they aren't the ones that are going to be buying the Model S. You need to woo the people ready to drop north of $100k on a car at this point and the current interior is ... not really it. Not by a long shot.

With those two things in play, I think that's why we're going to see a major refresh of the interior sooner rather than later. It hasn't really changed since launch, whereas a lot of other features have. Nosecone, AP1, AP2, Dual Motor, etc... But going from my 2012 to my 2013, I notice very little difference, except the seats, otherwise, it's identical. I probably wouldn't even notice the seats if I didn't sit in them.

The interior is the next logical update on par with the nosecone update. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we don't see a rotated center screen ala the Model 3 - but, I can definitely see Tesla leaving it vertical to differentiate from the Model 3. But much like the cluster screen from early models to current models, I expect a major resolution bump regardless of orientation. Right now, the screen is looking a little fuzzy compared to smart phones and other screens people are used to seeing at this point.

I'd agree except 2 of the 3 folks had a new 2017 corvette and the other a Grand Cherokee SRT with hemi engine. They were auto enthusiasts. The 3rd was a as mentioned a regular car owner :)

I agree that some sort of update would be a logical move. Argh...I'm so ready to purchase an inventory P100D at an amazing discount but I'd shoot myself if next month they announce some interesting interior refreshes or worst a 110d or same 100d with 2170 cells and way better range.
What to do??

Reactions: P100D_OSLO
I'd agree except 2 of the 3 folks had a new 2017 corvette and the other a Grand Cherokee SRT with hemi engine. They were auto enthusiasts. The 3rd was a as mentioned a regular car owner :)

I agree that some sort of update would be a logical move. Argh...I'm so ready to purchase an inventory P100D at an amazing discount but I'd shoot myself if next month they announce some interesting interior refreshes or worst a 110d or same 100d with 2170 cells and way better range.
What to do??

I'll tell you what I did. I just bought it!
Obsidian black on white P100D. :) 160k cnd or basically 125kusd. 2800km (1750miles) and loaded to the nines. Can't wait!! Traded in my pre facelift blue 90D and she and AP1 will be missed :( Ended up leasing it as the residual stayed the same off the msrp and the payments ended up being similar to the 90D. Wow...all excited again as was the first time!! Just couldn't miss the discount even if slight refresh coming. It's the rocket :)

Attachments

• IMG_3369.PNG
    IMG_3369.PNG
    315.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3370.PNG
    IMG_3370.PNG
    281 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Obsidian black on white P100D. :) 160k cnd or basically 125kusd. 2800km (1750miles) and loaded to the nines. Can't wait!! Traded in my pre facelift blue 90D and she and AP1 will be missed :( Ended up leasing it as the residual stayed the same off the msrp and the payments ended up being similar to the 90D. Wow...all excited again as was the first time!!
Haha...that is awesome...fast turnaround for sure. Nice decision....I'm sure you'll love it. Will be interested to hear how much of a difference the P100D is compared to the 90D. I'm in your old boat...waiting to see what happens in Q4. o_OCongrats!

Obsidian black on white P100D. :) 160k cnd or basically 125kusd. 2800km (1750miles) and loaded to the nines. Can't wait!! Traded in my pre facelift blue 90D and she and AP1 will be missed :( Ended up leasing it as the residual stayed the same off the msrp and the payments ended up being similar to the 90D. Wow...all excited again as was the first time!! Just couldn't miss the discount even if slight refresh coming. It's the rocket :)

This! I was in the exact same boat and did the same thing! Couldn't pass up $127,000 for a fully loaded badass P100D. Even if the interior refresh comes, I am OK as I would likely not have forked out $145,000 for a brand new one for an updated interior anyway.

Congrats to you!!

Attachments

• IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 86
Haha...that is awesome...fast turnaround for sure. Nice decision....I'm sure you'll love it. Will be interested to hear how much of a difference the P100D is compared to the 90D. I'm in your old boat...waiting to see what happens in Q4. o_OCongrats!

Thanks everyone! The 90D is no boat lol. I find the power delivery of the 90 to be perfectly balanced as compared to the P90D when we tested it all in 2015. I will miss that aspect of it. Very smooth power.

I'll be sure to update with a direct comparison :)

What to do??

I'm not sure I follow in relation to my post, so forgive me if I have misunderstood. But none of those cars are luxury cars, which is what the model S has to cater to. Now, especially, with the model 3 taking up the "budget" slot.

I am definitely waiting unless there is a nice CPO available.

Sceptical on the the numbers here. The range of a 100D is not 632km...it's actually 550km. 632 would be close to 400miles of range. Something I dont believe Tesla would just quietly introduce without fanfare. Likewise wouldn't there be some global announcement for 100D increased performance?

Those are NEDC ratings not EPA ratings. NEDC rating 632km (393mi) is equivalent to 539km (335mi) EPA .

I'm not sure I follow in relation to my post, so forgive me if I have misunderstood. But none of those cars are luxury cars, which is what the model S has to cater to. Now, especially, with the model 3 taking up the "budget" slot.

I am definitely waiting unless there is a nice CPO available.

Lol. It's ok. A corvette owner knows luxury...it was one of his few cars...others being a Porsche and a merchant S class. 2nd guy... Anyone who knows the price of an SRT with hellcat knows the expense. He also owns an Audi S7. What I was saying is the individuals were also auto enthusiasts who have no problem spending luxury dollars for a car :) they understood and drove luxury daily and were still impressed :)

CPO's are a great buy!

Those are NEDC ratings not EPA ratings. NEDC rating 632km (393mi) is equivalent to 539km (335mi) EPA .

Indeed. NEDC = Narcoleptic Elderly Driver Cycle ;) 75% of the cycle is at 50kph (31 mph) or less, 90% of the cycle is 70 kph (43mph) or less, and the peak (120 kph / 75mph) lasts only for a few seconds.

At least it's better than the Japanese 10-15 ;) That's the sort of cycle that you have to assume that people were laughing in the board room when it was proposed.

The NEDC / EPA difference has led to decades of me having to burst people's bubbles when they boast about how much more efficient European ICEs are / how much long European EV ranges are. It's even worse when you compare ICEs in the UK, where "miles per gallon" are measured on the NEDC, but the gallons are imperial gallons, which are 20% bigger than US gallons. And of course, when people are talking about the environment, you usually have to throw another bubble-burster in there when the vehicle is diesel-fueled, because diesel - being a roughly 15% denser fuel - represents roughly 15% more oil per gallon and emits roughly 15% more CO2 (ignoring the issues of other pollutants, which we were lied to about).

• Informative
Reactions: DurandalAI

I went from 85D to P100DL (for different reasons) and the acceleration difference is, as you would expect Ludicrous! The difference in acceleration at higher speed on the highway is especially noticeable. My 85D always felt a little slow to accelerate on the highway, but my P100DL feels like it has gobs and gobs of extra power. From a stop, the P100DL is more "brutal" than the 85D, that's the best way I can describe it. It actually pushes your entire body back in the seat and its actually a little terrifying to keep the accelerator mashed.

I went from 85D to P100DL (for different reasons) and the acceleration difference is, as you would expect Ludicrous! The difference in acceleration at higher speed on the highway is especially noticeable. My 85D always felt a little slow to accelerate on the highway, but my P100DL feels like it has gobs and gobs of extra power. From a stop, the P100DL is more "brutal" than the 85D, that's the best way I can describe it. It actually pushes your entire body back in the seat and its actually a little terrifying to keep the accelerator mashed.

Thanks for the warning! Is that without ludicrous mode+ 'max battery'...just the regular (lol) 2.7sec?
I've always found the 90D to be a great balance of refined power vs brute force and I'm not particularly fond of roller coasters. But at times I've wished for more from the 50-90kph Zone as well as highway. I guess day to day driving one wouldn't notice much difference unless driving like an idiot.

Thanks for the warning! Is that without ludicrous mode+ 'max battery'...just the regular (lol) 2.7sec?
I've always found the 90D to be a great balance of refined power vs brute force and I'm not particularly fond of roller coasters. But at times I've wished for more from the 50-90kph Zone.

Without max batt, without ludi+. I rarely use those :)

The 85D/90D is smooth yes, but the P100DL just allows you to do so much more. You truly have "teleportation" abilities to go and be wherever you want on the road. For me its not about racing, its about allowing me to do what I need on the road, whether its accelerating on the highway, overtaking someone, etc. The 85D/90D do that just fine, its just a easier in the P100DL :)

Without max batt, without ludi+. I rarely use those :)

The 85D/90D is smooth yes, but the P100DL just allows you to do so much more. You truly have "teleportation" abilities to go and be wherever you want on the road. For me its not about racing, its about allowing me to do what I need on the road, whether its accelerating on the highway, overtaking someone, etc. The 85D/90D do that just fine, its just a easier in the P100DL :)

Beauty :) same thoughts re: racing. I just like being able to just GO at any speeds. So far with the 90D I've avoided any speeding tickets and tend to keep a watchful eye on typical cop stops.
I'm praying the allure of being able to go 0-60kph in 1.5 seconds doesn't get the better of me. Lol

Ok so received some pics prior to shipping of the inventory P100D I purchased. All in all beautiful :)

However...seems like the passenger rear rim has curb rash on various parts of it :(

I know CPO cars receive a reconditioning process and at times get new rims and tires. What do they do for inventory purchases? Is it an 'as is' purchase with whatever defects it has? The car has only 2800km on it and was a loaner car. Someone must have damaged the rim.

Anyone have any knowledge on inventory purchases with respect to delivery issues or how or if Tesla preps them as they would a new order?

I'd be unhappy to have to pay to replace or fix/repaint a rim for a car only 3 months old and at that expense!

Attachments

• IMG_3485.JPG
    IMG_3485.JPG
    429.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3481.JPG
    IMG_3481.JPG
    325 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3482.JPG
    IMG_3482.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3483.JPG
    IMG_3483.JPG
    420.1 KB · Views: 71
Ok so received some pics prior to shipping of the inventory P100D I purchased. All in all beautiful :)

However...seems like the passenger rear rim has curb rash on various parts of it :(

I know CPO cars receive a reconditioning process and at times get new rims and tires. What do they do for inventory purchases? Is it an 'as is' purchase with whatever defects it has? The car has only 2800km on it and was a loaner car. Someone must have damaged the rim.

Anyone have any knowledge on inventory purchases with respect to delivery issues or how or if Tesla preps them as they would a new order?

I'd be unhappy to have to pay to replace or fix/repaint a rim for a car only 3 months old and at that expense!

I am wondering the same thing too... my inventory P100D had some minor curb rash as well.. I hope they replace/repair the rim prior to delivery. Any experience here?

Btw - beautiful car!

I am wondering the same thing too... my inventory P100D had some minor curb rash as well.. I hope they replace/repair the rim prior to delivery. Any experience here?

Btw - beautiful car!

Thanks. The fam and I will really miss the deep sea blue though...preferred color...but can't complain with the inventory price lol. (There is always wrap )

I'm trying to get an answer out of Tesla on this as it's not referred to anywhere in th agreement for inventory cars. For CPO's, there is explicit detail on reconditioning.

You took delivery with the curb rash? They didn't address it?

Ok update from Tesla: For all inventory purchases, all rims requiring repair/refinish will be done prior to delivery and returned to oem perfect spec :) They also Shampoo interior and buff and wax exterior for a showroom delivery. All door trim will also be checked for alignment...basically it goes through an extensive new car check over. :)