TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla emblems problem

Discussion in 'Model S' started by W0QR, Jul 18, 2015.

1. W0QR

W0QR Member

I noticed during drying the Model S (June 2015) that both the right and left illuminated emblems stick out away from the body. It's the sharp end..the trailing edge that sticks out away from the body. I think those are candidates for breakage. Maybe it's just my car--but that's a fit and finish issue as far as I'm concerned. If there's interest I might be able to come up with a pix or video. Anyone else with that issue?

2. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Can you post a photo to show what you're talking about?

3. Mike Tuccelli

Mike Tuccelli Member

Oh yes. All of them have that. That's why you don't ever use car wash with brushes!

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I use car washes with brushes all the time without issue. The only problem I had with these pieces is that they rusted out over my first winter and Tesla had to replace them (along with the T on the trunk lid). Newer ones seem to be holding up better.

5. BertL

BertL Active Member

#5 BertL, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    Yes, my S90D built 9-2015 has the same issue, and I looked at a couple of others parked at the SC last time I was there. Same. Fortunately, the gap is largest on the trailing end towards the rear of the vehicle, and the aluminum lip overhangs the top of the plastic indicator fairly well, so hopefully it's less likely to get caught on something when traveling forward. Still, the gap is not insignificant and I'm very careful since finding this the first time I hand-washed ;) my MS, and would be a bit frightened of automated car washes with spinning brushes traveling the reverse direction. Yikes.

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1190.jpg

6. WMAC

WMAC Member

7. BertL

BertL Active Member

Thanks for the idea, but no it won't. The gap is much wider than what a piece of 3rd-party wrap would resolve, even if that wrap went around the back edge of the indicator.