Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla employee arrested after gun brought to work discharges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess he didn't have concealed carry permit
From what I understand, it is very difficult for a member of the general public in my state (California) or at least my county and surrounding ones to get a concealed weapons permit unless you can prove that you're truly in danger and really need to carry a gun.

For example, here's what a police dept in my county says about CCW: San Jose Police Department. Santa Clara County sheriff draws legal fire for way she hands out concealed-gun permits – The Mercury News is a story on my county from 2011. I found Requests to Carry Hidden Guns Skyrocket in Santa Clara County from 2015 w/some (tiny) numbers. (Santa Clara County has a population of over 1.9 million. City of San Jose is just over a million of that.)

Tesla's Fremont plant is in Alameda County, which is right next to mine. The man in question resides in Oakland, which also is in that county. Search Concealed gun ruling stands: Foes can’t fight loosening of California permit standards – East Bay Times for Alameda.

From some digging (not sure how accurate the sources are) of supposed numbers of valid CCWs in various CA counties, it's unlikely the employee had a valid CCW.

Last edited:
Something that hasn't been mentioned.... there is a unionization effort going on at Tesla. Based on my past experiences, having been through 4 of those, people get all fired up (to coin a phrase), and start doing stupid things like that; so I wouldn't be surprised if that played a role in this...

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
Something that hasn't been mentioned.... there is a unionization effort going on at Tesla. Based on my past experiences, having been through 4 of those, people get all fired up (to coin a phrase), and start doing stupid things like that; so I wouldn't be surprised if that played a role in this...
You may be correct. Twenty years ago we had a double murder suicide at my office. The shooter was an ex Vietnam vet, ex police officer, and the union president (who was drinking while taking Prozac). Very sad mess all around.

I have been through several contentious contract negotiations with the union that worked in the factory I worked at in Texas. The rhetoric gets super high in the run up and once the workers go out on a strike, it gets really dicey when coming into the plant (I was a non-union engineer). One morning before dawn the roadway had been sprinkled with tacks to pop the tires of everyone driving in for example.

In my experience union reps are very, very good at riling up the employees against the company and sometimes people do stupid things in that atmosphere.

This incident didn't warrant a news story.

Disagree. Unintentional discharge of a firearm at a workplace is absolutely news. Don't conflate your distaste for tesla clickbait with a legit story.

It will be interesting to see if Tesla's code of conduct is zero tolerance. Many places around here are, my company included. ANY weapon on campus--even if it's in the trunk of your car--is grounds for immediate termination...if found of course.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
From what I understand, it is very difficult for a member of the general public in my state (California) or at least my county and surrounding ones to get a concealed weapons permit unless you can prove that you're truly in danger and really need to carry a gun.

For example, here's what a police dept in my county says about CCW: San Jose Police Department. Santa Clara County sheriff draws legal fire for way she hands out concealed-gun permits – The Mercury News is a story on my county from 2011. I found Requests to Carry Hidden Guns Skyrocket in Santa Clara County from 2015 w/some (tiny) numbers. (Santa Clara County has a population of over 1.9 million. City of San Jose is just over a million of that.)

Tesla's Fremont plant is in Alameda County, which is right next to mine. The man in question resides in Oakland, which also is in that county. Search Concealed gun ruling stands: Foes can’t fight loosening of California permit standards – East Bay Times for Alameda.

From some digging (not sure how accurate the sources are) of supposed numbers of valid CCWs in various CA counties, it's unlikely the employee had a valid CCW.

Geography wise MOST of California is shall issue for CCW. This includes the general public who can pass background checks.

CCWs are valid state wide.

Unlikely though this individual had a permit being commuting distance of Tesla.

Though I hear many employees ride the BART and I'd hate to go without protection riding that thing.

BART takeover robbery: 40 to 60 teens swarm train, hold up riders

I would never store a loaded firearm in a container that can be seperated from me. Should have been holstered but there are so many levels of fail that there is no point going there.

Last edited:
This is literally, the dumbest thing I have read on TMC and I have seen lots and lots of dumb things.

I have not received one single dollar of "union income" my whole life. Why am I not homeless and my children living in shelters?

and I'm self employed

Someone needs to stand up for the workers going through 'manufacturing hell' and working under unfair confidentiality agreements.
Pay them a fair wage already. Hopefully the NLRB complaints are taken seriously

and I'm self employed

Someone needs to stand up for the workers going through 'manufacturing hell' and working under unfair confidentiality agreements.
Pay them a fair wage already. Hopefully the NLRB complaints are taken seriously

Employment is at will. They can leave any time to work for another company.

I'd work on that line in a heartbeat for some stock options.