Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Employees have started taking Model 3 reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to that link it says that you can apply your reservation money to a Model S and Model X at any time. Does this mean that the $1000 is not refundable?
This has always been true for a reservation. In addition to being refundable, you could always apply it to another Tesla vehicle purchase.

For instance, when reserving my X, I also had them cancel my S reservation and put the money towards the sig deposit. I could also have had it refunded at any time.

Reactions: hoang51
I see...but wouldn't you do better to start a savings account that will at least get you a little interest?

^ That. The timeframe for the 3 is actually beneficial for a lot of reasons. Put down your $1000, then you essentially have almost a year to save and build a down payment, or stack monthly payments away. I'm looking forward to, and planning to at a minimum, pay for half the car when time comes to finance. If I can pull 3/4 or hell, pay in full, even better. Either way, this is my first pre-order type of vehicle purchase which is exciting. It gives you a chance to commit, then plan. It's a process, that I seemingly love so far.

^ That. The timeframe for the 3 is actually beneficial for a lot of reasons. Put down your $1000, then you essentially have almost a year to save and build a down payment, or stack monthly payments away. I'm looking forward to, and planning to at a minimum, pay for half the car when time comes to finance. If I can pull 3/4 or hell, pay in full, even better. Either way, this is my first pre-order type of vehicle purchase which is exciting. It gives you a chance to commit, then plan. It's a process, that I seemingly love so far.

Model 3 release will be LATE 2017, and expect that to be very similar to the X roll out... A handful of cars to Founders. I would anticipate an early-to-mid 2018 for the highly optioned vehicles, and then a mid-to-late 2018 for the medium to lower spec'd builds

Its very, very likely you have 2+ years to save up cash from the March 31 reveal.

The article also says most of the 15,000 employees are likely reserving one, so being in line on the 31st starts at around customer # 15,001 ...Actually higher than that if you're a new customer since existing Tesla owners are getting priority as well. I wonder what, if any meaningful impact on delivery dates/federal tax rebates there will be for the masses, (Those first time folks getting only a lightly upgraded model)

I am also curious to know if we can keep adding money to the reservation (start out with 1000 then add another 1000 later).

I tried doing similar to that when finalizing financing on my MX. Basically, the lender wanted to see more than the $5K I had put down, So I asked if I could add to the deposit so it showed up on the interim MVPA--but the answer was it was not doable.

• Helpful
Reactions: diamond.g
glad to see that the employees are really getting dibs on the car first! you know, since they actually fully deserve i for actually being part of the company that brought us the car, therefore actually directly helped in producing the model 3 *cough*

t the employees ... actually directly helped in producing the model 3 *cough*
You have to admit, they will a) work harder during the initial rollout; and b) drop fewer of the parts during assembly, knowing that they might be assembling their own car, their buddy's car or their spouses car. You know, all the stuff they _haven't_ been doing with the Model X. ;)

Reactions: tracksyde
While I think it's the right thing to do, it also will help with what has been a major issue for the X - no car to see in person. While I wouldn't expect the employee to let me test drive their car, it would be great to see it in the wild before there is enough inventory to have floor models - kill 2 birds...