Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Enables Speed Limits Through Mobile App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has added a new feature that enables owners to limit the speed of their cars through a mobile app.

“Speed Limit Mode” gives owners the ability to set limits for both speed and acceleration. Maximum vehicle speed can be set between 50-90 mph.

Tesla previously release a similar feature with “Valet Mode,” which temporarily limited functions like top speed, acceleration, access to the glove box and frunk, as well as access to personal information and car settings.

It seems like it would be a helpful feature for parents handing over their Tesla keys to young drivers, and potentially fun to watch a high-speed chase remote controlled to a crawl.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: dedicatedtek
Great for (In my case very occasional) loans of the car....

But for everyday usage I long to get 2 x things added to me Tesla Model X Traffic aware cruize control system :
1/ Automatic reduce/increase my programmed speed when the car detects (via its maps only today) a lower/higher Speed Limit = Auto Adjust to speed limit detected.
2/ Read speed limit signs on the road, to adapt to real speed limit in case of works, or special situation, or occasional errors on Tesla maps.

I already lost 4 points on my driving licence since I got delivery of my beloved Tesla X 100D last Sept. So this would help keep the others left, a little longer.

Oh that would be awesome. Neighborhoods that suffer from excessive speeding could group source monkeywrenching that database with phantom speed traps and cars would slow down without having to waste public funds on actual cops.
Phantom speed traps where previous deaths have occurred. goal to lessen auto deaths
Actual patrol cars randomly show up, so no longer just a phantom trap.

Sadly speed traps are seldom used to improve safety.

A big debate around my town is why we have to wait until someone dies before we do something, when certain crosswalks and roads are obviously unsafe.

Surely we have progressed beyond the point of requiring human sacrifice to propitiate the traffic gods.
+40,000 each year for the last two years 2016-17.
<33,000 in 2014 lowest in US history - 2015-16-17 we killed ~20,000 extra people
Last 10 years is how many deaths? Seems we have plenty of sacrifice/data to find many dangerous places.

internet search - auto deaths per year
pick your sources

If I want to limit Valet Mode to 10mph, why shouldn't I be able to?

Because valets sometimes have to drive a block or so on the street to get to the actual parking lot, and it's really not a good idea to have cars on the public roads that can't keep up with traffic. Also, don't want to surprise the valet while he or she is diving with a car that won'trespond to the pedal in a remotely normal way.