Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Enables Speed Limits Through Mobile App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has added a new feature that enables owners to limit the speed of their cars through a mobile app.

“Speed Limit Mode” gives owners the ability to set limits for both speed and acceleration. Maximum vehicle speed can be set between 50-90 mph.

Tesla previously release a similar feature with “Valet Mode,” which temporarily limited functions like top speed, acceleration, access to the glove box and frunk, as well as access to personal information and car settings.

It seems like it would be a helpful feature for parents handing over their Tesla keys to young drivers, and potentially fun to watch a high-speed chase remote controlled to a crawl.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: dedicatedtek
Oh hey, it looks like I kinda sorta almost get the feature I asked for back in 2015! Looking forward to playing with it when my car firmware catches up to my phone app.

(Probably that was not the use case Tesla had in mind for this feature, but as with all good features that's how it goes -- you never know how people are going to use it once it's out of the bag.)

It kind of already does this. Hazards come on, and AP is not allowed to be engaged until end of trip.

*Until the car stops and put in park.

Its the same if you manually exceed 90MPH w/autosteer engaged.... but being electric, a quick pull over on the shoulder doesn't cost you much time. Although arguably, locking out features meant to improve safety kinda seems backwards.