Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla endorsed Konig snow chains damaged rims

Have Konig snow chains damaging your rims?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I joined this post when I read a memeber post about damage to their rims from using Tesla sponsored Konig snow chains. Sadly, I didn’t see that post prior to my experience installing these snow chains on my car and my rims are damaged as well. :( I have had my new Tesla model 3 for less than 3 months and now the rims are permanently damaged. I bought thier specifc chains because not wanting to be out of warranty. I put the Konig chains on correctly, frankly I don’t know how those chains can be installed incorrectly. I have a Tesla service appointment new week. Any advice on how to handle that service appointment? (PS, I’m not a “Karen” type, so no chance of that.) Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• 5ED0A155-45B2-41D8-8CC9-4B46B3A20C0B.jpeg
    5ED0A155-45B2-41D8-8CC9-4B46B3A20C0B.jpeg
    485.7 KB · Views: 293
  • 7F158EFE-E9A3-42B8-852D-6DB493E24F11.jpeg
    7F158EFE-E9A3-42B8-852D-6DB493E24F11.jpeg
    553.4 KB · Views: 189
Any advice on how to handle that service appointment?
Cancel it. You didn't read the manual which has a big bold warning that says:
"If your Model 3 is equipped with aero covers, you must remove them before installing tire chains."

The damage shown in your posted photos is the aero covers...not your wheels. You explicitly did what the manual said you must not do. Aero cover damage is expected if you put chains over them.

The good news is aero covers are relatively inexpensive to replace...much less than wheels which are probably unscathed.