Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy and utility scale projects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Richard Branson has an ambitious plan to wean the world off fossil fuels

Wonder how much billionaires talk to each other?

Quote:

The Caribbean Climate-Smart Coalition will work with global finance giants such as the Inter-American Development Bank, the World Bank, and the Caribbean Development Bank to mobilize $8 billion and bring new infrastructure and energy security to vulnerable regional communities.

End quote.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Richard Branson has an ambitious plan to wean the world off fossil fuels

Wonder how much billionaires talk to each other?

Quote:

The Caribbean Climate-Smart Coalition will work with global finance giants such as the Inter-American Development Bank, the World Bank, and the Caribbean Development Bank to mobilize $8 billion and bring new infrastructure and energy security to vulnerable regional communities.

End quote.
Someone please remind him that energy produced by wind and the sun are going to lose money and valuation of this project is as if right now less than zero...

Someone please remind him that energy produced by wind and the sun are going to lose money and valuation of this project is as if right now less than zero...
Replacing the centralized energy production system on most of these island with an interconnected solar/wind/storage microgrid scheme's will be far cheaper than what they have now.

Can you expand on your negative comments a bit? "Going to lose money"?

All they need is good policy and the market(Tesla and others) will handle the rest.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Replacing the centralized energy production system on most of these island with an interconnected solar/wind/storage microgrid scheme's will be far cheaper than what they have now.

Can you expand on your negative comments a bit? "Going to lose money"?

All they need is good policy and the market(Tesla and others) will handle the rest.
Please excuse me, i was in sarcastic mode. Most of the general investment market sees no value, ie no $$, in energy produced with little operating cost.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I had two calls from Tesla today wanting to get started with our roof installation. The problem is that I still don't have a firm quote, and I'm currently in Zurich, so my calls have basically consisted of "call back when I'm awake, which will be tomorrow morning your time!". The second came in at 2am here, and I never did get back to sleep (at least so far, two hours later...)

Nice article on LinkedIn regarding the electrification of Europe via North Africa large-scale solar projects:

A Word with Silvia Pariente-David - MENA CSP KIP

TuNur_Phase-1-3_2017_v2-300x298.png

Did someone say there is no money to be made here in the energy storage business? If so, Tesla should not be attracting any competition. The bigger question for me is who is going to be supplying the cells for this venture. If I remember correctly AES buys these off-the-shelf.

A month in, Tesla’s SA battery is surpassing expectations

An article about the first month of service of the big South Australia battery (Hornsdale Power Reserve) and what it's been up to. Now that we have a real battery in real service, people are following it closely to get a better sense of what it can do.

Very interesting reading, and generating excellent results. Results that looks like it's going to draw a lot more of itself into the market.

Second Tesla “big battery” to power Victorian farm

Tesla selected to supply the storage component (in partnership, again, with Neoen) for a 20MW/34MWh batter as part of a wind farm in Victoria. This is the system that has been previously discussed, that will enable a large agribusiness / hydroponic operation / greenhouse to be built and operated.

The article has some additional details - these operations typically use natural gas to generate heat, and get excess CO2 that is also needed. But the gas was too expensive and could not be reliably sourced, leaving the company the choice of not doing the project (old default) or what they're actually doing - recasting the energy needs for the whole operation into renewable energy.

The article goes into more details about the larger energy system, and the specific needs of this particular industrial consumer.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo