TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Energy announces new low profile solar panels

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by ecarfan, Apr 10, 2017.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

See Solar Panels | Tesla

Here is what they look like. Very impressive. This is what I've always wanted solar panels to look like! Tesla must be confident they can sell these at a price competitive with typical roof mount panels. It's hard for me to imagine how the mounting system works.
    [​IMG]

2. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Very nice looking option when you don't need a roof replacement, but I'm so loving those solar roof tiles......

3. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

Moist gummy bears!

• Funny x 2
  4. thimel

thimel Member

I thought solar panels were mounted slightly elevated so air could circulate under them to cool the cells thus improving the efficiency.
    I wonder if this mounting systems compromises this cooling in return for better looks?

5. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

They appear to be slightly raised on the website pictures, with the skirt masking it from the street view. Good design if they can pull off sufficient ventilation while producing a lower profile than typically found with competitors.

Panels with a
    Sleek, Low-Profile Design
    Our solar panels blend into your roof with integrated front skirts and no visible mounting hardware. The result is a clean, streamlined look.

6. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Yeah I wondered about ventilation too. Presumably the skirts allow for ventilation and also the panels are still raised above the roof a bit. Looks great on a gray shingle roof. On a Spanish tile roof, not so much!

7. timpierc

timpierc Member

Hey! They look like every other type of solar panel! I'm sure they'll still look just as good as the competition when you have to go around roof protrusions. (Sarcasm).

If this is supposed to get us excited about Tesla's solution to existing roof options, then a collective yawn is in order.

8. JPP

JPP Active Member

We have a 3 year oid SolarCity install (16kw in 4 strings) on a black composition shingle roof. Canadian Solar panels--nice and black with black trim. Nice angled black front skirts at lower edges. Panels sit maybe 2" off of the deck. Not sure how the 'new improved' version is a whole lot different.

9. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Since we now know how the pricing is on the Solar Roof, I was trying to get a comparison quote and all the page seems to have is 'we'll call you'. Anyone done that or gotten ballpark pricing?

I was waiting for the Solar Roof, since I do need a new (asphalt shingle) roof. But if these panels are a lot better in pricing, I can get a new roof for $5K or so and then get these panels added on top.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. miimura

miimura Active Member

When I had my house built, the solar installer came out and installed the standoffs and roof penetrations for the wiring before the asphalt shingles were put on. The roofer just did their thing around the solar work. The panels and micro-inverters were installed much later. Wouldn't this result in better roof waterproofing? Not sure, but it worked out well for me. If you are getting a new roof and solar, I would recommend this procedure.

11. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

12. googlepeakoil

googlepeakoil Member

#12 googlepeakoil, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
    The best improvement you can get for solar panels is to have them in a square, not in bits. And to get black panels with black edges. Look a lot nicer than silver ones.
    Although I doubt they have the "skirt" at the top - temperature / efficiency would be my concern too. My system is rated at 4kw (actually 14x LG 285W Mono Black's which are over-rated at about 288 max = 4032 W. When it's sunny they do about 3700-3800 on a clear blue sky and 25C (70F?) ambient. When the sun pops out from behind the clouds they jump from <2000 to 4200 for about 3 seconds (ie. above nameplate power!) - presumably because the panels are cooler... before quickly dropping back to the 3800's. And we live in England - not Arizona so aren't going to see 100F days.
    I find with white clouds (and the sun near perpendicular to the panels) you get about 2000 W (50%).
    Light grey clouds (800-1500 (25-30%? )
    Dark grey clouds ( 200-400 W 5-10% )
    Dark clouds and rain (100-150 W - crap )
    If there's any shade on the panels then this drops by more than half - the low sun in England and nearby trees causes Nov -> Feb 50% - 100% shading and we struggle to do 2kWh in the Winter while I can get 25-28kWh on the best day in June.

If you're going for solar - always go for as much as allowed / you can afford.
    Remember a lot of the cost is in the scaffolding / overheads. Doubling the # of panels might only cost 25% more depending on installer.
    Remember - a Washing machine / dishwasher heating water is pulling 3kW. A 5kW system will only be doing >3KW in good conditions (see above). The more panels you have the more you will be generating 3kW for more of the day. The more you can sell back to the grid. The more future proof you are by the time your house is charging future Power Walls and cars!
    A car is going to be wanting to pull about 5kW - and if charged during the day you want that to be all solar - so it's free!!!
    Another bit of advice - you only need micro inverters if you want to check each panel (not really necessary) or have shading issues. Otherwise having 1 or 2 main inverters is more sensible. I have 1x 4kW rated inverter. But the 14 panels are in 2 strings of 7 panels. If you shade 10% of a panel on one string that string typically drops 50% !

13. boaterva

Got a callback from Tesla, and discussing this today, so will see what they say. Let them know the 'Roof' wasn't cost effective (asphalt in need of replacing), so, was interested in the 'Panels'.

14. boaterva

Finally connected with someone after a couple of days... Summary proposal is 12.4kW system, 38 panels (of the new Tesla variety), two PW2's, total around $46K. No financing where I am in Northern Virginia, so I need to decide to self-finance (HELOC?) or wait a bit to save up some bucks.

Interesting stats I got out of the SC (I assume) person: The old panels are 300W, the new ' Tesla' ones are 325W.

Another interesting fact is I had a depo in on the Solar Roof, cancelled that and got the refund back in five days. Seems a lot quicker than some of the Model 3 refunds we have heard about.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Thanks for the graph.

There seems to be a about 1.5% efficiency drop for every 10ºC (18ºF) rise in panel temperature on that example.

I would guess that the front skirt Tesla is showing would inhibit cooling of the front row center panels by restricting air flow from the bottom of the array. As panels heat the air under them it will rise, drawing in cool air from the sides, but not as effectively as an unshielded array that could pull in air from the front.

What does your chart portend for Tesla Solar Roof? Tesla Tiles will get no underneath ventilation, so they must operate hotter than equivalent panels with air flow beneath them keeping them closer to ambient air temperatures. I wonder how much of an over rating factor a Tesla Tile roof must have built in to produce a certain target output?

• Like x 1
  16. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

Your roof will have airflow all around it and free convection. The only way it wouldn't is if a taller building or a cliff face or something was next to your house to block the wind. Since shading would then be an issue you can be certain that panels won't be in a shaded area and non shaded areas will have adequate airflow.

Will the bottom panels near the skirt be warmer: Yes. Will they be warmer enough to make you regret having a skirt: No.

It's basically a non issue. BOM, installation, rebates/refunds, grid electric costs, etcetera are all bigger factors and will drown out any 0.00x% efficiency difference that skirt causes as a percent of the overall installation.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

1.5% absolute IIRC
    So about 10% of generation, or loss of 1% generation per C

18. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Is it just me or do these new low profile panels look about the same as every other panel with a skirt around them? They don't look any more low profile to me than the panels I see in my neighborhood or the panels in this image. Has Tesla provided any comparative specs so we can see the difference?

Attached Files:

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Yes

• Funny x 1
  20. 1208

1208 Active Member

No

• Like x 1