Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy called me about Founders Powerwall 2 today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!
My Founders Powerwall 2 experience seems a bit different from some of the other posts here, so I thought I'd start a new thread about it. Mods: Please feel free to merge in to another thread.

Contact Method: Phone and personalized email
I received a call from a Tesla Energy associate today who was reaching out to contact me about the Founders Series Powerwall 2. I was just leaving work, so I missed the call. The associate left a voicemail and followed up with a personal email in the 5 minutes it took me to get settled in my car and listen to the voicemail.

I immediately called back and we had a 19 minute phone call.

Introduction:
The associate introduced himself as the Tesla Energy representative that would be my point of contact and guide me through the Powerwall 2 experience. (His email signature block included the title of "Inside Energy Advisor | Sales")

Information Verification and Installation Location Confirmation:
He verified my personal information, contact info, physical (installation) location, and current energy provider. He followed with a recap of the Powerwall 2 features and capabilities.

Confirm Intended Use & Soft Sales Pitch:
He guided me through a series of questions to confirm my desired use cases: Solar Integration, Utilize TOU Rates, Whole Home Backup or Partial Backup. Following that discussion, he indicated that whole home backup would likely require 2x Powerwall 2's. He indicated that I could modify my order to add a 'standard' Powerwall 2 at my expense to the Founder's Powerwall 2. I indicated that I sought to minimize installation costs given the power rates in Texas and generally reliable service in my area.

Timeline Expectation Setting:
He gave an overview that after Tesla had the site survey information, the critical path would be the queue for the system design. He indicated that they currently have a ~15-18 business day design backlog IIRC. Following design, they would proceed with the utility interconnection agreement and installation. He indicated that the design backlog would be longer than the actual installation backlog.

Site Survey Options:
He indicated that I had two options for the site survey. I could execute a guided 'self survey' by taking pictures and measurements of specified areas and submitting them through a Tesla portal. Alternatively, I could request an on site assessment by a Tesla Energy representative. I believe he directly stated that it would be faster if I executed the self survey path. I indicated that I would be comfortable with the self survey option.

Commitment to Followup:
He indicated that he would followup Friday afternoon on how the self survey was progressing if I hadnt already submitted my information.

Email Followup:
He sent me another personalized email with instructions for the self survey along with the Powerwall 2 'Welcome Guide.'

Installation Pricing:
We did not have a direct discussion about installation pricing. However, I left the call with the clear impression that I would bear the cost of installation and that the referral included the materials of the Powerwall 2 and the Gateway only.

Transferring/Assigning Referral Program Powerwall 2s:
At no point in the conversation flow did he indicate that I had the option to assign or transfer the Powerwall 2 to another person. In fairness, I didnt directly ask this question.

Referral Program: October 16, 2016 - January 15, 2017

Attachments

• powerwall-overview-welcome-guide.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 121
Also known as Phase 6.

Any updates?
Over the weekend, I was able to take photos and complete the self survey. I submitted the information via a link to a super helpful guided survey.

I went ahead and expanded every branching option so you could see what the experience flow looks like for customers that use the self survey option.

I submitted this information on Saturday and havent yet had a response (It's now late Wednesday).

Attachments

• Tesla Powerwall Self Survey Form - Formstack.pdf
    894.3 KB · Views: 97
Over the weekend, I was able to take photos and complete the self survey. I submitted the information via a link to a super helpful guided survey.

I went ahead and expanded every branching option so you could see what the experience flow looks like for customers that use the self survey option.

I submitted this information on Saturday and havent yet had a response (It's now late Wednesday).
I see one of the points says to include the ground on the shot. In my situation, my ground was only connected to my water line, which was acceptable at the time. They ended up adding another ground actually in the ground right by my meter.

Reactions: MajorCuddles
I see one of the points says to include the ground on the shot. In my situation, my ground was only connected to my water line, which was acceptable at the time. They ended up adding another ground actually in the ground right by my meter.
They meant the ground, as in the stuff down below us (Earth, soil, dirt, etc.), not the ground connection. If they meant the ground connection, they probably would have said that, and certainly the picture would not be specifying the ground like they did.