Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy is horrible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say that I am constantly confused by the customer service issues at Tesla because the largest bone of contention seems to be the delay in being responded to. This has to be the easiest part for a tech company.

A simple JIRA style ticketing system can track every issue submitted and how long it has been since you were dealt with. The system itself could even automatically text you or put a note on your car screen to say that they're working on it if they didn't have staff free to contact you. Staff could get notifications about who needs contacting and when, and updates about the various work stages.

Given time you could probably replace a good deal of the humans with AI driven virtual customer service agents....

Reactions: goldengate
They offered to make up the difference of the tax credits (see below) because it was their fault. They put it in writing that they were going to offer me a rebate and even called beforehand to ask if that was OK.

I think you are one of the few who was offered a rebate for this. Did they put the offer into your contract, or was the offer via an email? Will be curious if they follow through.

That is my impression as well that after you pay in full they will send you the 4%. Hopefully that will not drag out. Hope it happens and not an empty promise.

Thats what I was told as well (get 4% back after the full PTO is given). Its not in writing, its verbally, so I am interested to see what happens. With that being said, my rep told me "there are a number of people they are doing this for, and I just needed to get approval to add your name to the group that this is being processed for".

Shrug. I was getting the powerwalls either way, and I am cautiously optimistic they will give me that money back. In my case its 2 powerwalls without solar and total cost was $18,230 or so, give or take. 4 percent of that is not chump change at all, but would not have stopped me from doing the project.

Im a bit more annoyed because I wanted the tax liability last year to offset some charges etc. Shrug. will see how it goes. I expect them to give it to me at this point, but figure it will be a few months.

Tesla has yet to reply to my request to even just cancel after failing to respond to multiple requests for clarification since mid December. This is several phone calls and emails in. I hope the reason for my poor response times are due to them terminating the people that have "helped" with my "install." That would do a lot to help future potential customers in my opinion.

I'd love to not have to be on top of these people but they lied about my install date via automated text when in actuality they hadn't even started the permitting. They have consistently reached out via text but just ghost me whenever I reply. There appears to be no boilerplate process at least in my experience unless the boilerplate includes constant fail models.
They canning of so many SolarCity people and the planned Nevada service center AFAIK never happening has created a service vacuum at Tesla Energy, but I think it's gonna turn around real fast. It's the #1 known problem.

Sales needed to be carved out of the organization and sales was what ran the show at SolarCity. Now they're building from the ground up and can hopefully afford to throw resources at Energy with the TSLA share price is doing so well.

We have Battery Day coming up soon and I have a sneaking suspicion that Powerwall pricing will be cut dramatically, so you may have actually saved yourself a few dollars here. Good luck.

Reactions: goldengate
So a manager called today. Apologized and said she would look at some issues.

She did offer a 4% credit once fully turned on.

I mentioned my pricing is not right for the 4th time. She looked into it and emailed me back.

I have a quote for 7.6 + 1 powerwall for ~$30600. She offered ~$1000 off. The current install price for a 7.6 + 2 powerwalls is $31925. I do not see how this is a great deal or even fair.

So a manager called today. Apologized and said she would look at some issues.

She did offer a 4% credit once fully turned on.

I mentioned my pricing is not right for the 4th time. She looked into it and emailed me back.

I have a quote for 7.6 + 1 powerwall for ~$30600. She offered ~$1000 off. The current install price for a 7.6 + 2 powerwalls is $31925. I do not see how this is a great deal or even fair.
That is not a deal at all. 2nd battery is about $6.5k.
May want to just take 2 batteries, 2nd costing $1.3k

Reactions: walla2
Thats what I was told as well (get 4% back after the full PTO is given). Its not in writing, its verbally, so I am interested to see what happens. With that being said, my rep told me "there are a number of people they are doing this for, and I just needed to get approval to add your name to the group that this is being processed for".

Shrug. I was getting the powerwalls either way, and I am cautiously optimistic they will give me that money back. In my case its 2 powerwalls without solar and total cost was $18,230 or so, give or take. 4 percent of that is not chump change at all, but would not have stopped me from doing the project.

Im a bit more annoyed because I wanted the tax liability last year to offset some charges etc. Shrug. will see how it goes. I expect them to give it to me at this point, but figure it will be a few months.
I just looked at my past emails from them. It does state that I will get the refund.
Great. Will they forget to send me a 1099 next year or will I be paying income tax on that refund?:rolleyes:

So Tesla pushed hard, speed through a redesign, and updated my quote to today's pricing ($2500 higher than yesterday's) but close with 2 powerwalls. I agreed overall and was informed the installers came out today to preinspect the panel.

Once they arrived, the installers were shocked to find I had a concrete tile roof. They informed us they could not install on this roof as planned and would have to update the plan. We were informed they had only done a handful of tile roofs and never one like ours. They indicated they did not have the proper equipment. We were told the two people that came out was the install team. I told my wife to tell them nicely to leave after hearing this.

So over 6 months in and a ton of botches, the ultimate botch is they weren't going to do it anyway.

I messaged Tesla and asked for a refund of my $100 and cancellation. Management called and said everything was good for tomorrow, that she talked to the 3 teams of installers and they were all good. She indicated no one had told us the install couldn't be done including the people that talked to my wife on site just minutes ago. I asked her if she would allow someone that had just said they had no experience, equipment, or knowledge about our project, roof, or install to install a solar system on her roof? She said she would not.

I told them to cancel. I wished them luck but indicated that it was sad that Tesla couldn't sell their energy product to a guy that owns 4 Tesla's and is a SoCal energy customer.

I stand by my title. Tesla Energy is horrible.

Walla2, sorry to hear this. Forgot if you have flat concrete tile or not but if flat, this is what you need.
https://unirac.com/wp-content/uploads/48_TILEHOOK_INSTALLATION.pdf

Certainly more parts to string the runners but that is what I used on my roof with Iron Ridge rails and other parts.
ps. did tesla asked what you have on the roof? They did me even though I have panels up already.
I guess the word was not passed on. Piss poor planning on someone's part.

• Informative
We were informed they had only done a handful of tile roofs

They had only done a handful of tile roofs in So Cal? The land of the tile roof? That sounds crazy. I think I have a concrete tile roof (flat tiles) and Tesla Energy had no issues with that portion of our install (many issues otherwise, I digress).

But, you are better off cancelling. If you want solar and Powerwalls there are other companies who will install and probably provide much better customer service.

They had only done a handful of tile roofs in So Cal? The land of the tile roof? That sounds crazy. I think I have a concrete tile roof (flat tiles) and Tesla Energy had no issues with that portion of our install (many issues otherwise, I digress).

I am in Washington and have a property in SoCal but it is still disappointing as they failed to recognize my roof type until 1 day in a 7 month design and permitting process.

Walla2, sorry to hear this. Forgot if you have flat concrete tile or not but if flat, this is what you need.
https://unirac.com/wp-content/uploads/48_TILEHOOK_INSTALLATION.pdf

Certainly more parts to string the runners but that is what I used on my roof with Iron Ridge rails and other parts.
ps. did tesla asked what you have on the roof? They did me even though I have panels up already.
I guess the word was not passed on. Piss poor planning on someone's part.

I did tell them, they have photos, etc. They didn't send equipment or tell the installers though apparently.

I will look at that option with a different company. Ideally, Tesla would have just shown up with the right stuff and experts but they didn't even try until the last second.

Which property were you trying to install on (washington or CA?). I have concrete tile roof and tesla (solar city actually) installed on it with zero complaints, issues or "yeah buts". As @Az_Rael said, this is the "land of the tile roof" in southern california. If they didnt install on them here, there wouldnt BE any solar here.

Which property were you trying to install on (washington or CA?). I have concrete tile roof and tesla (solar city actually) installed on it with zero complaints, issues or "yeah buts". As @Az_Rael said, this is the "land of the tile roof" in southern california. If they didnt install on them here, there wouldnt BE any solar here.

My California property has asphalt and a Tesla solar install already. My house in Washington State is in a market where Tesla Energy struggles more where 1:100000 houses have tile roofs. Amazing how different building styles are just a few miles north.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
We have Battery Day coming up soon and I have a sneaking suspicion that Powerwall pricing will be cut dramatically, so you may have actually saved yourself a few dollars here. Good luck.

Can you elaborate on your thoughts around Battery Day? Any idea when it is? Google was not my friend on this one. I am considering a Powerwall and don't want to spend $$$ and have the price marked down.... which is what happened to my Model 3...thanks

So the ordeal is over with the final result of no installation. Management did call me and indicated either the installer or my wife is lying about what was said at the time of the pre-inspection about not being able to install. That's fairly offensive, but again it's over so I let it go.

Tesla did fairly rapidly credit my account the $100 reserve fee to their credit.

Ironically, I received a cold call text from Tesla trying to sell a solar system for my Washington house on Friday. I declined.

I do hope they improve. This was just sad.

• Informative
Reactions: StarLog