Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy Plan / Virtual Power Plant (South Australia)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cafz

Jul 17, 2020
Australia
Tesla is now offering a Tesla Energy Plan where you become part of the Tesla Virtual Power Plant in South Australia.

It looks like the Cliffs Notes are:

• Tesla remotely controls your Powerwall charging/discharging as part of the VPP;
  • $220 (inc. GST) of "grid support" credits each year, per Powerwall, for being part of the VPP;
  • Supply charge 99c/day;
  • A Time-Of-Use tariff - Peak (6am-10am & 3pm-1am) 31.13c/kWh, Solar Sponge (10am-3pm) 16.5c/kWh, Off-peak (1am-6am) 21.99c/kWh;
  • Solar FIT of 7.5c/kWh for first 1500kWh/month (2.5c/kWh for exports above that);
  • You have to have both Solar PV and a Powerwall 2.
"Energy Locals" is the retailer they're using to provide the actual retail services (billing etc).

Tesla is now offering a Tesla Energy Plan where you become part of the Tesla Virtual Power Plant in South Australia.

• Tesla remotely controls your Powerwall charging/discharging as part of the VPP;
  • $220 (inc. GST) of "grid support" credits each year, per Powerwall, for being part of the VPP;
  • Supply charge 99c/day;
  • A Time-Of-Use tariff - Peak (6am-10am & 3pm-1am) 31.13c/kWh, Solar Sponge (10am-3pm) 16.5c/kWh, Off-peak (1am-6am) 21.99c/kWh;
  • Solar FIT of 7.5c/kWh for first 1500kWh/month (2.5c/kWh for exports above that);
"Energy Locals" is the retailer they're using to provide the actual retail services (billing etc).
Interesting that, based on the pricing, “off peak” is no longer “off peak”.

• Supply charge 99c/day;
Thats been available for at least a year. When I ran my spreadsheet on it after the battery install it wasnt the cheapest option. It came in a somewhat distant 3rd. I’m a heavy exporter so the FIT is generally what sets my best option. My exports peak at around 3000kwh per summer month (after filling 3 powerwalls and two cars so any FIT limits have a significant impact on my calculations. The outcome is likely different for others.

Interesting that, based on the pricing, “off peak” is no longer “off peak”.
That's a reflection of current reality in the SA electricity market - there's a small dip in demand overnight and a much larger dip during the middle of the day.

(Demand actually rises from 23:30 to 00:00 as all those HWS on fixed timers switch on - they really need to change some of those over to 11am!)

I'm in a retirement village with some 270 villas: most have solar as standard. We are in the process of going mostly offgrid with a company (Energy Trade) that installs panels over the clubhouses and bowls rinks, and a 1MWhr battery at its own cost, then does all the billing. Daily charge $0.80, electricity bought in $0.20 and sold back to the battery $0.15.
With any luck the development will be substantially self sufficient until be get a big EV presence.

Reactions: Hairyman and Vostok
I'm in a retirement village with some 270 villas: most have solar as standard. We are in the process of going mostly offgrid with a company (Energy Trade) that installs panels over the clubhouses and bowls rinks, and a 1MWhr battery at its own cost, then does all the billing. Daily charge $0.80, electricity bought in $0.20 and sold back to the battery $0.15.
With any luck the development will be substantially self sufficient until be get a big EV presence.

I forgot to say - GST is included in those figures.

So what’s the latest on this?

Figures Tesla is charging don’t seem to be all the flash hot, I just got the offer from Tesla.

464CB0D4-D142-47F8-8D53-88F330C31DBB.jpeg

On another note I have just been offered to join the EV Grid Trial that uses Jet Charge Chargemate Wall Charger….does anyone know if that is worthwhile or I’d be better off waiting for Gen2 Tesla Wall Chargers?

Link: Electric Vehicle Trial | EV Grid | Australia

128F8C5F-A8C9-461D-A6F2-5DB8AF013019.jpeg

It’s the very first post.

• Supply charge 99c/day;

It’s the very first post.
Sorry missed that point.
Energy locals SA prices (non tesla) are 29/14/18c. 6.5c. FIT with NO LIMIT. Alternatively 23/14/16 with 82.5c summer demand charge, or alternatively flat rate 25.5c. Flat rate works out best for me with the solar and batteries as I dont really buy power for 9-10 months of the year, and I export a lot in summer so need a no limits FIT plan as this pays my winter bill. Every house is different so I wont make a blanket statement, however when I modelled tesla’s offer a few months ago it wasnt great. My then AGL plan was better. The Energy Locals plan was substantially better than both…but may not be for anyone else.