Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy Plan / Virtual Power Plant (South Australia)

cafz

Jul 17, 2020
Australia
Tesla is now offering a Tesla Energy Plan where you become part of the Tesla Virtual Power Plant in South Australia.

It looks like the Cliffs Notes are:

• Tesla remotely controls your Powerwall charging/discharging as part of the VPP;
  • $220 (inc. GST) of "grid support" credits each year, per Powerwall, for being part of the VPP;
  • Supply charge 99c/day;
  • A Time-Of-Use tariff - Peak (6am-10am & 3pm-1am) 31.13c/kWh, Solar Sponge (10am-3pm) 16.5c/kWh, Off-peak (1am-6am) 21.99c/kWh;
  • Solar FIT of 7.5c/kWh for first 1500kWh/month (2.5c/kWh for exports above that);
  • You have to have both Solar PV and a Powerwall 2.
"Energy Locals" is the retailer they're using to provide the actual retail services (billing etc).

Vostok

Jul 1, 2017
Sydney
Tesla is now offering a Tesla Energy Plan where you become part of the Tesla Virtual Power Plant in South Australia.

• Tesla remotely controls your Powerwall charging/discharging as part of the VPP;
  • $220 (inc. GST) of "grid support" credits each year, per Powerwall, for being part of the VPP;
  • Supply charge 99c/day;
  • A Time-Of-Use tariff - Peak (6am-10am & 3pm-1am) 31.13c/kWh, Solar Sponge (10am-3pm) 16.5c/kWh, Off-peak (1am-6am) 21.99c/kWh;
  • Solar FIT of 7.5c/kWh for first 1500kWh/month (2.5c/kWh for exports above that);
"Energy Locals" is the retailer they're using to provide the actual retail services (billing etc).
Interesting that, based on the pricing, “off peak” is no longer “off peak”.

paulp

Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide, Australia

• Supply charge 99c/day;
Thats been available for at least a year. When I ran my spreadsheet on it after the battery install it wasnt the cheapest option. It came in a somewhat distant 3rd. I’m a heavy exporter so the FIT is generally what sets my best option. My exports peak at around 3000kwh per summer month (after filling 3 powerwalls and two cars so any FIT limits have a significant impact on my calculations. The outcome is likely different for others.

cafz

Jul 17, 2020
Australia
Interesting that, based on the pricing, “off peak” is no longer “off peak”.
That's a reflection of current reality in the SA electricity market - there's a small dip in demand overnight and a much larger dip during the middle of the day.

(Demand actually rises from 23:30 to 00:00 as all those HWS on fixed timers switch on - they really need to change some of those over to 11am!)

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
I'm in a retirement village with some 270 villas: most have solar as standard. We are in the process of going mostly offgrid with a company (Energy Trade) that installs panels over the clubhouses and bowls rinks, and a 1MWhr battery at its own cost, then does all the billing. Daily charge $0.80, electricity bought in $0.20 and sold back to the battery $0.15.
With any luck the development will be substantially self sufficient until be get a big EV presence.

Reactions: Hairyman and Vostok

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
I'm in a retirement village with some 270 villas: most have solar as standard. We are in the process of going mostly offgrid with a company (Energy Trade) that installs panels over the clubhouses and bowls rinks, and a 1MWhr battery at its own cost, then does all the billing. Daily charge $0.80, electricity bought in $0.20 and sold back to the battery $0.15.
With any luck the development will be substantially self sufficient until be get a big EV presence.

I forgot to say - GST is included in those figures.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
Note I said "mostly off-grid". No, of course it isn't fully free of the grid, but the charging structure considers the bulk buying of grid power when required. The company has quite a few sites.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC