Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy/Solar City idiots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$22K ($22.8 actually) for 16kWh was just the hardware purchase price. You then have to pay shipping via freight (which isn't much in comparison) and then have someone licensed/certified by Sonnen install it. I was quoted $1500 for installation. So you're basically looking at ~25K for 16kWh installed. LG dropped their prices to be more competitive about a month ago it seems. Sonnen needs to do the same.

The good news is that I've found a source for the LG batteries. Apparently LG is now only supplying these to resellers on an as needed basis (no shelf stock basically) to be installed as part of LG approved systems. Basically, the reseller designs a system and LG approves it before sending the battery. The good news for me is that a few DIY shops were stocking the batteries before this change. A couple still have stock left and have no problem selling them.

@doubleohwhat did you get the LG chem and storedge system? I currently have the storedge inverter for my Solar and the LG chem batteries seem to be more available now. Also the certification process is very easy (20 question). Tesla doesn't have any certified installers in Michigan, and Tesla is complacent about getting installers certified, so LG chem may be the fastest route. I'm getting tired of power outages.

Yes, I got tired of the run around with Tesla energy and ended up going with the LG/StorEdge system. I don't regret it a bit.

The system works flawlessly and is actually more efficient than a powerwall system since it's all DC until it's converted for export to the house. There are ton of other positives as well compared to a powerwall system. The only downside is that it's a bit more expensive (but you can get it now and install it yourself). I installed mine myself. I payed a local electrician to check over my plans before I started and my work after I finished/before final inspection.

I've attached a photo of my system. Happy to answer any questions you might have.

Attachments

• IMG_20180316_002343.jpg
    IMG_20180316_002343.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 277
Yes, I got tired of the run around with Tesla energy and ended up going with the LG/StorEdge system. I don't regret it a bit.

The system works flawlessly and is actually more efficient than a powerwall system since it's all DC until it's converted for export to the house. There are ton of other positives as well compared to a powerwall system. The only downside is that it's a bit more expensive (but you can get it now and install it yourself). I installed mine myself. I payed a local electrician to check over my plans before I started and my work after I finished/before final inspection.

I've attached a photo of my system. Happy to answer any questions you might have.

What size are those battery packs? the 9.8 kWh versions?

How fast is the switchover to battery backup when the power goes out, have you tested this?

What kind of TBC control does the system have for TOU support? This is a question that even "Pick My Solar" couldn't answer for me.

My only regret is a DC battery system is totally incompatible with my micro-inverter panels, so it's PW or nothing currently.

What size are those battery packs? the 9.8 kWh versions?
9.8kWh total, 9.3 usable. They have 0.5 kWh locked out on the low end. Based on my own math I can charge the two batteries combined to 18.5 kWh. That's within .1 kWh of the specs so I have no complaints.

How fast is the switchover to battery backup when the power goes out, have you tested this?
We've ran on backup due to storm related outages probably a dozen times. If the inverter is already discharging a battery, the transfer happens in less than a second. If the inverter is charging a battery or not utilizing any battery, the transfer takes about 1.5 seconds. The specs say <2 seconds and that definitely seems to be the real world number.
What kind of TBC control does the system have for TOU support?
100% configurable down to 15 minute intervals. You can create custom storage profiles that define how the storage behaves. Tons of flexibility and it only takes a couple of minutes to switch between profiles. I've attached some screenshots of the storage profile configuration pages on the monitoring portal. The profiles shown are ones I created for my system.

More info here:
https://www.solaredge.com/sites/default/files/storedge_charge_discharge_profile_programming.pdf

Note that the inverter does have to have internet access in order to control it from the monitoring portal. You *can* do everything via the screen on the inverter itself but it's a pain in the arse. Connectivity options include WiFi, ethernet, cellular and a long range ZigBee bridge that connects to a router.

My only regret is a DC battery system is totally incompatible with my micro-inverter panels, so it's PW or nothing currently.
Nope. You can AC couple the LG/SolarEdge storage ("StorEdge") solution. See page 34 of this document:
https://www.solaredge.com/sites/def...ons_connection_and_configuration_guide_na.pdf

Several people have set one of these battery systems up with enphase micro-inverters. It's a supported configuration by SolarEdge. So there aren't any hoops to jump through for support. The only reason I know this is because I was considering enphase micro-inverters myself before ultimately going with SolarEdge optimizers.

Attachments

• Screenshot (22).png
    Screenshot (22).png
    123.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Screenshot (23).png
    Screenshot (23).png
    194.2 KB · Views: 171
  • Screenshot (24).png
    Screenshot (24).png
    66.9 KB · Views: 176
  • Screenshot (25).png
    Screenshot (25).png
    131 KB · Views: 166
  • Screenshot (26).png
    Screenshot (26).png
    176.8 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NuShrike
We've ran on backup due to storm related outages probably a dozen times. If the inverter is already discharging a battery, the transfer happens in less than a second. If the inverter is charging a battery or not utilizing any battery, the transfer takes about 1.5 seconds. The specs say <2 seconds and that definitely seems to be the real world number.

What's the switchover time for a PW2?

9.8kWh total, 9.3 usable. They have 0.5 kWh locked out on the low end. Based on my own math I can charge the two batteries combined to 18.5 kWh. That's within .1 kWh of the specs so I have no complaints.

100% configurable down to 15 minute intervals. You can create custom storage profiles that define how the storage behaves. Tons of flexibility and it only takes a couple of minutes to switch between profiles. I've attached some screenshots of the storage profile configuration pages on the monitoring portal. The profiles shown are ones I created for my system.

More info here:
https://www.solaredge.com/sites/default/files/storedge_charge_discharge_profile_programming.pdf

Note that the inverter does have to have internet access in order to control it from the monitoring portal. You *can* do everything via the screen on the inverter itself but it's a pain in the arse. Connectivity options include WiFi, ethernet, cellular and a long range ZigBee bridge that connects to a router.

Nope. You can AC couple the LG/SolarEdge storage ("StorEdge") solution. See page 34 of this document:
https://www.solaredge.com/sites/def...ons_connection_and_configuration_guide_na.pdf

Several people have set one of these battery systems up with enphase micro-inverters. It's a supported configuration by SolarEdge. So there aren't any hoops to jump through for support. The only reason I know this is because I was considering enphase micro-inverters myself before ultimately going with SolarEdge optimizers.
Wow, this is so much more granular and mature than I had thought.

So the key is the StorEdge is the brains, whereas I kept looking for it in the LG batteries. This is exactly what I had hoped to do with a micro-Sonnen system paired to a PowerWall 2 back-end, but nobody knows how to wire it. Those guys at "Pick My Solar" didn't give me any information for how LG AC-coupling would work. This really helps.

Looks like at least 2 StorEdge's are necessary to do whole-home backup equivalent to 2 PW2s, as each StorEdge inverter is limited to 7+kW each?

as each StorEdge inverter is limited to 7+kW each?
When on backup (grid down) the output is limited to 5kW per inverter with 6.6kW surge (useful when a motor turns on).

So two inverters and four batteries would provide 37.2 kWh at 10kW offline (grid down) and around 14kW online.

Now, the StorEdge system also doesn't do true "whole-home" backup. The loads you want backed up have to be in a critical loads panel. We basically gutted our primary panel and only left the HPWC, electric oven, the outdoor AC unit and a handful of outlet circuits that are never used. We have natural gas and the the indoor HVAC line is in the critical loads panel. So we have heat and the ability to circulate air when the grid is down.

Btw, if you need a very large amount of storage and output, then you may want to contact LG Chem about their "ESS Battery Rack" system:
Product | ESS Battery | LG Chem

A bit more info here:
LG Chem ESS Energy Storage

This is exactly what I had hoped to do with a micro-Sonnen system
Yeah. I looked into a Sonnen system and no one on this side of the pond knew much about it.

What's the switchover time for a PW2?
Very Fast!

I couldn't find any specs at a quick glance, and all Tesla says is "in a fraction of a second", but generally, fast enough that my desktop computer doesn't miss a beat, and you don't see the lights flicker.

The first outage occurred only days after we had it installed, and we didn't realise until neighbors knocked on our door because we were the only house with power on in our neighborhood - about 5,000 properties were without power for two hours.

One outage we had was after a major grid fault - the voltage dropped from nominal 230 V (was actually around 250V) to 180V before it went out, and on this occasion we did notice the lights flicker, and my PC rebooted - but that could have been before it cut over.

Cutting back to grid is always seamless - no flicker, no sign other than a loud click in the gateway if you're standing right next to it.

I have the SE7600A-USS2. The USS model was designed for the 1st generation powerwalls but the newer firmware allows for the LG Chem batteries to be used. I know both the USS and USS2 model have the same computer inside. The same firmware works for both.

That would be it then. Mine has two 25A fuses.

I wonder if the storedge portion can be upgraded. The guts of SolarEdge inverters are somewhat modular and I know you can field replace the computer in the top section. So it may be possible. Might be worth a call to SolarEdge.

Last edited:
That would be it then. Mine has two 25A fuses.

I wonder if the storedge portion can be upgraded. The guts of SolarEdge inverters are somewhat modular and I know you can field replace the computer in the top section. So it may be possible. Might be worth a call to SolarEdge.
When I called the technical support team, they said that I wouldn't be limited in power, but I have a feeling that they didn't know all the details. I'll just proceed and see what happens. My house doesn't pull much power.

My inverter also has the two dip switches and not the three.

If you think you can live with the limitation then I'd definitely give that a shot first.

Btw, I received another PM asking about how the dual batteries are wired inside of my combiner box. I'm just going to post the info here for all. The wiring for dual LG Chem batteries is the same as the wiring for dual powerwalls. Just ignore the "multi-conductor cable" bit. The powerwalls came with a pre-made cable. I just used 1000V PV wire. I've attached a screenshot of the powerwall manual.

This is the box I used:
Midnite Solar MNPV12 Combiner Box

With these fuse holders and fuses (four fuse holders, four fuses):
Midnite Solar Touch Safe 30A Fuse Holder for Din Rail 1000VDC
Midnite Solar 20A Ferraz Fuse, 1000VDC

For the communication cable I used 600v rated ethernet:
Midnite MNCAT5-600 USE-2 Cable, sold per foot

PV wire:
PV Wire by the Foot 10AWG, WHITE, 1000V
PV Wire by the Foot 10AWG, RED, 1000V
PV Wire by the Foot 10AWG, GREEN, 1000V

Obviously all of this can be found elsewhere as well.

When configuring the batteries in the inverter you'll need to set an ID number for each battery. I've attached a screenshot of the document that shows the correct ID number for each battery.

Attachments

• Screenshot (27).png
    Screenshot (27).png
    284.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 1521232703618-StorEdgeWiringandOnSiteCheckQuickGuide-2LG-NA.png
    1521232703618-StorEdgeWiringandOnSiteCheckQuickGuide-2LG-NA.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 154
That policy I can understand. Spanish tile is notoriously difficult to walk on without breakage and expensive to repair. SC is out for high volume, so they install only on easy roofs like asphalt composition and concrete tile, but nothing could be easier than new construction with flat concrete tiles scheduled to install AFTER the roof racks and conduits are in place.

Tesla Energy and most other solar installers won't install on Spanish tile roofs for the reasons you state. However other reputable solar installers including SunPower do on Spanish tile roofs simply by removing he Spanish tile roof and installing asphalt roof where the panels are going, then "picture frame" the Spanish tiles around the solar panel area. Not rocket science and they simply add the cost of this additional roof work to their solar cost. No good reason Tesla Energy couldn't do the same.

Very Fast!

I couldn't find any specs at a quick glance, and all Tesla says is "in a fraction of a second", but generally, fast enough that my desktop computer doesn't miss a beat, and you don't see the lights flicker.

The first outage occurred only days after we had it installed, and we didn't realise until neighbors knocked on our door because we were the only house with power on in our neighborhood - about 5,000 properties were without power for two hours.

One outage we had was after a major grid fault - the voltage dropped from nominal 230 V (was actually around 250V) to 180V before it went out, and on this occasion we did notice the lights flicker, and my PC rebooted - but that could have been before it cut over.

Cutting back to grid is always seamless - no flicker, no sign other than a loud click in the gateway if you're standing right next to it.

This is interesting. Our IT department spoke with TE regarding a bank of Powerwalls for our server room and Tesla turned us away, citing a slow Powerwall response time. Quoting Tesla Energy's email: "The Powerwall is not an instant response – in other words your servers would turn off then back on once the Powerwall starts delivering electricity to them. The typical response time is ~200ms. UPS systems have response times less than 16ms."