Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Engineers. Here's what I want.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

McRat

Jan 20, 2016
LA
I'm rare, but probably not alone. EV folk are rare. So are motorsport folk.

Gimme that M310 model. However, have a track option. I do not care if it costs a lot more.
Dump the PUP (amenities). Rear seats? Superlight. Perhaps $50 seats that are worthless to sit in but very light.
Adjustable ride height with simple tools.
Stability control and traction control should be able to turn completely off.
LSD differential. Torsen preferred. Or dual rear motors.
Warranty waiver for a higher motor output available OEM.
Strip off anything you can legally.
Cheap shiit tires and rims. But make the rim wide. This way I can put good racing tires on legally.
Optional TESLA body wrap with area for numbers.
Optional punch-outs and larger cooler.
Big brakes. Dual metal, or carbon ceramic.

That is worth $79,000 to me if it weighs 3600lb and has 10% more kW than the standard version.

I'd like it named the Pikes Peak Edition. Or why the hell not? The McRat Edition. No prisoners.

I'm rare, but probably not alone. EV folk are rare. So are motorsport folk.

Gimme that M310 model. However, have a track option. I do not care if it costs a lot more.
Dump the PUP (amenities). Rear seats? Superlight. Perhaps $50 seats that are worthless to sit in but very light.
Adjustable ride height with simple tools.
Stability control and traction control should be able to turn completely off.
LSD differential. Torsen preferred. Or dual rear motors.
Warranty waiver for a higher motor output available OEM.
Strip off anything you can legally.
Cheap shiit tires and rims. But make the rim wide. This way I can put good racing tires on legally.
Optional TESLA body wrap with area for numbers.
Optional punch-outs and larger cooler.
Big brakes. Dual metal, or carbon ceramic.

That is worth $79,000 to me if it weighs 3600lb and has 10% more kW than the standard version.

I'd like it named the Pikes Peak Edition. Or why the hell not? The McRat Edition. No prisoners.

You actually don't want a LSD because an open differential is stronger. A LSD makes sense in a gas car because It can't make the quick toruqe changes that an EV can.

Reactions: dhrivnak
An LSD is critical for cornering speed, trust me. If your tires are sticky enough for good g's in the corners, the inside tire is light and starts spinning wildly and you lose all your punch on the exit.

Reactions: DR61
Unfortunately the 8 they'd sell probably doesn't make the engineering effort worthwhile...
Race on Sunday sell on Monday...there's a sales multiplier in motorsport, and this would be an inexpensive way for Tesla to take advantage of that. It sounds similar to the original Japanese Honda Civic Type R...but with the benefit of stiffness in the M3 due to the battery, additional bracing/engineering might even be unnecessary.

@McRat you live a long way from me so I look forward to watching your hillclimbing success on youtube :)

Unfortunately the 8 they'd sell probably doesn't make the engineering effort worthwhile...

That means performance is not a market that Tesla wants to pursue. Wait. That's how they got where they are today.

Tesla can't make a living on P100D's. Why bother? Because people want them, and the Halo Effect.

An M310 spec'd the way I laid it out, would kill gas cars on short course events. And it would be riot to blast around in. Superior to the Roadster at half the price.

The thing that holds a Roadster or Model S back on the track is the cooling system. The motor and/or power electronics get too hot very quickly, and the system backs down the power to limit overheating. The net result is you might just get a single lap in before the power starts backing down.

Letsee, take a $44k car, rip out the interior, customize the wheels, brakes, cooling and wheel wells. That is doable for $80k.

Track ready, no warranty, motor that is a different spec and design from the proven... that's not realistic.

Letsee, take a $44k car, rip out the interior, customize the wheels, brakes, cooling and wheel wells. That is doable for $80k.

Track ready, no warranty, motor that is a different spec and design from the proven... that's not realistic.

Wait. You think that's something new or rare?

Name a MFR who doesn't do it.

An LSD is critical for cornering speed, trust me. If your tires are sticky enough for good g's in the corners, the inside tire is light and starts spinning wildly and you lose all your punch on the exit.

How about two motors and torque vectoring? or even four motors for that matter. It's already been done in a performance BEV, but the price point of entry ain't cheap. lol!!

How about two motors and torque vectoring? or even four motors for that matter. It's already been done in a performance BEV, but the price point of entry ain't cheap. lol!!

AWD is too much weigh per cost benefit in this arena.

Two motors in the back is the best technical solution, but a single motor with a Limited Slip Differential, helps keep cost and weight down.

It will be a handful. With no babysitters, it will behave like a 911 Porsche with a buttload of torque. But seriously, do you want to live forever? :D

Reactions: DR61
Um... TESLA?!

A Roadster is a lightweight 2 seater RWD.

No. Not all MFR's have made track versions. But most have. Tesla made a Drag Race version with the Ludicrous designation.

Do some research. Porsches are more than $250,000 if you want the track versions.

Let me see...

BMW M3 series... $91,000 for the track version.

Last edited: