Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Epic road trip to Disneyland and back, $3.40 out of pocket for electricity.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't see this posted here yet.

3100KM's driven, 60 hours traveling, 16 superchargers visited, 5 family meals, $3.40 in electricity costs for the drive, 2 Motel Stays, 1 Mass attended and my family of six arrives at Disneyland to continue the adventure.

Living the dream. Just another day in our lives.
For us to travel 3090KM in our old family vehicle (Dodge Grand Caravan 2008) it would have cost around C$500.00 in regular unleaded gas. In our Truck a Dodge Ram 1500 it would have been more like $600.00. Counting this was a trip there and back it would have totaled C$1000.00 in gas vs the C$3.60 it cost us. Not bad.
the $3.40 is how much it costs us to charge the car to 50% full which is where I needed it to be to get me to the first supercharger. So that's the cost of electricity we put in to get to Disneyland and back.
PS - our other electric car is a Leaf. Had it for al out 4 years now (a 2011). That car is fantastic training grounds for Tesla ownership. It really helps you appreciate all the cool things Tesla has in the car.

Then the drive back, presumably the a similar 16 superchargers visited the other way?

I ended up using auto pilot for about 80% of the trip, and it was awesome.

It's two hours+ video so I haven't watched it all.

about 47 mins in first video he gets to grants pass, OR with 1 mile remaining when he plugs into the supercharger. Before that he'd been overcharging on all his segments. Nice to see him getting in to a lower range remaining supercharge finally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike1 posted in the Canadian section of this forum, met him the other day at the Calgary, AB, Canada Store opening. great guy. even better wife for letting him get a Tesla and bunking up in the car for that long. i am trying to convince my wife to do the same trip.

arrive at Corning on way back with zero miles (hit zero with 3 miles still to go)... you've got a great wife to go through that and keep a positive attitude. (13 minute mark on second video).
Mike, THANK YOU so much for sharing your experiences.