Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Equipment & Window Clearances in New York State

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the latest in our saga trying to get a solar + PW setup installed in NY -- the electrician from the installation group basically told us that none of the original blueprints are valid, in that we're unable to mount the inverter, gateway, or disconnect anywhere on the side of the house due to clearances. Our home has windows basically wrapping around on all sides, leaving no uncovered wall spaces. While there is plenty of space for equipment beneath the windows (they are standard sizes), any edges of equipment would be within three feet of a window.

I'm familiar with what the 2020 NEC says about power meter & service mast placement, and think we have a good story there (add conduit to the mast to make it pass inspection), but where does this leave us with the ancillary equipment? Wouldn't they be subject to the same rules (i.e. we can place them there provided there is no exposed wire - conduit only) as "service equipment". Surely I can't be the only person with windows in so many places. In fact, a number of photos google-able, and even on the Tesla web site and product docs, seem to show gateways and PWs installed within (3) feet of a window...

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

example here

Welcome to Tesla Motor Club Energy!

Can you put them in your garage? I don't know about your area, but some jurisdictions allow them adjacent to garage windows.
If you have a basement, make a battery room in your basement.
Or just put them at least 36" away from the house on a separate support is one option. Several of us here went that route.

Good luck!

BG