Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Tesla Europe Registration Stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, @mrdoubleb. It's up to @hobbes. The EU website (link) also shows 110 units YTD like we do. I thought maybe they are late to update but that couldn't be the reason because the last month is not 10 units. Maybe the data source has messed up their YTD numbers.

I am just about to go on vacation :). Don´t have time to think about it now, I leave it up to you @Troy to make a decision or wait till I´m back in 2 weeks. See you!

In that case, @mrdoubleb it's up to you. You could leave it as it is and the YTD number will match the EU site or you could submit 16 units instead of 6 for May and the YTD number will match the data source. The 16 units could be submitted as an estimate. Then if we can find out the actual number for May, we could change it.

• Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
In that case, @mrdoubleb it's up to you. You could leave it as it is and the YTD number will match the EU site or you could submit 16 units instead of 6 for May and the YTD number will match the data source. The 16 units could be submitted as an estimate. Then if we can find out the actual number for May, we could change it.
Ill wait for a couple more days to see if the EU registrations' site refreshes. I am not sure it has the August numbers yet as it has been showing 110 cars for weeks and weeks now.

It's amazing to see the numbers for Europe. Granted, it's the handlful of countires contributing to total number of sales (no surprise there as to which countries), but the figures are stunning! Thanks for collecting that info guys!

Hi. I have checked the European Union website EAFO and it looks like they are running 2 months behind. Their YTD Model S number is 7272 units. At the end of July, we had 7172 and August was 748, September was 2466 units. They are missing August and September.

Similarly, their YTD Model X number is 6027 units. After July, we were at 6078. August was 556 and September was 2221 units. Again, they are completely missing August and September Model X numbers.

I have compared 2016 numbers and those are very close. They have 12,508 Model S in 2016 (see the screenshot below). We have 12,526 (source). They have 3,750 Model X, we have 3,700. In other words, eventually, they will catch up but of course, the 2 months delay is not very good.

@Spidy, thanks. I have updated the link.

AqXOU0r.gif

Speaking of EAFO, I've been going over their Iceland detail in greater precision, and it looks like their data is a sum of both the new and used market (both on total EV sales and market penetration). Is this what they do for all markets?

I haven't really been following well the work on this site with the "wiki", since I joined after it got started - all I've gathered is that you all are collecting, somewhere, data on Tesla reservations. Do you collect general EV numbers as well? Is this data downloadable - say, as a database that can be connected to, CSV, or whatnot?

This weekend I sent out an inquiry to our transportation department to see if I can get access to their raw data so I can get more precise figures, as I want to track our scaleup here better than the existing sources make possible (both EVs in general and Teslas in particular). If I did get access to the data, would you be interested? While our total EV sales numbers are a meaningful fraction of Europe's total, Teslas only make up a very small fraction because of the complete lack of Tesla infrastructure here. So it won't affect your Tesla count very much at this point in time.

Is your goal only to capture new sales, or also used? Because, at least in the case of Iceland, the EAFO data appears to match our transportation department's figures for new and used combined. Also, doesn't EAFO only list the top 5 most popular models? So if a Tesla isn't top 5 it doesn't show in your data?

The offical registration site in Spain is the DGT Dirección General de Tráfico . Going to "Portal estadístico" + "Vehículos" + "Matriculaciones" + "Microdatos" you can download all the registrations selecting the month you want ("Ficheros mensuales" part). You can download the register format in "Diseño de Registro" too.

Once you have the data, you sould filter the Tesla cars by brand (marca) or VIN (bastidor).... and for 2017 you get:

month S X
01 1 3
02 18 9
03 42 6
04 15 7
05 17 14
06 33 30
07 35 12
08 5 13
09 26 28
10 22 15
Total 214 137

Regards,

Hi, @mblancom. Thanks for the information. I have looked at the website and it appears to be the official website of the Department of Transport. I have compared the results to this and this website. These other two websites show lower numbers. At first, I thought maybe the official website shows all existing registrations instead of new registrations but that's not the case because it shows 1,114,051 registrations so far in 2017 and the population of Spain is about 47 million which means around 2.4% new registrations per capita which is consistent with other countries. That means it shows only new registrations. Therefore we should use the website you have mentioned instead of the other two websites.

It's a shame the website is not very user-friendly. The method you have used to extract the numbers is OK if we do that once a year but it is too much work for every month. I have tried a different method which is a little easier but the downside is that we will only get the Tesla number instead of the Model S and Model X numbers. This is less than ideal but we already do that for 4 other countries.

I created a step by step guide to explain how to collect registrations data for Spain from the website you mentioned. If you want to try it, click here and then follow the 9 steps explained here. Next year we might use this method if we can't find something easier. We will need to add Spain to the main tables.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
Hi, @KarenRei. After this year is over, you could post a message here for Tesla registrations in Iceland in 2017, if you know that number. Only new registrations count. Thanks.

Sure, will do as soon as the December numbers come in :) It's not going to be a lot since Teslas are such a small share of our EV purchases (silly people who want maintenance available without crossing an ocean! ;) ), but good to keep track of them anyway! :)