Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Tesla Europe Registration Stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The eu-evs site only shows 43 Model 3s in the Netherlands for January 2020. Our table shows 152. I'm used to seeing the numbers be slightly off, but this is a huge discrepancy. Does anyone know why?

Model S and X are off by 1 each, which is the kind of thing I've seen in the past and have also seen comparing eu-evs with teslastats.no.
Isn't that because eu-evs uses license plate registrations while our table uses actual 'deliveries' and writing the car on the new owner's name? E.g. a car could be registered on 27-12-2019 (eu-evs.com), but ascribed to the owner on 15-01-2020 (this table registry).

Portugal, June 2020
upload_2020-7-2_16-33-24.png

• Informative
Reactions: Troy
UK June sales data published by the SMMT today: UK new car market down a third as tentative restart reveals subdued demand - SMMT
Other Imports line: 2,838 units. Tesla deliveries are typically about 300-400 units lower per quarter, which when applying a bias for higher deliveries towards the last month in the quarter would give us a difference of about 150 units in June. That would indicate about 2,700 cars delivered (S, X and 3). We have an exact number for Model 3 deliveries (2,517) from the list of top 10 best selling models (Model 3 is the 9th best selling car in June).

Later edit to add: when looking at registration/delivery numbers from other European countries, it seems obvious that Tesla focused most of their deliveries to the UK at the end of Q2, most likely so that they can take advantage of the changes to the UK Benefit-in-Kind (BIK) tax (from 16% before April 2020 to 0% currently for EVs). From what I've read, Tesla only sent one ship to Europe this quarter due to the factory closure until mid-May, so it makes sense that the ship was mostly loaded with RHD versions.

Last edited:
@Troy @hobbes

I've added the UK December estimates via the usual method (6259), however it appears the Model 3 was the absolute best seller over there for December, so we already have the offcial figures for that model alone (5798). Should i just add the Tesla total estimats and the Model 3 actuals to the entry form while leaving S and X blank? Will the form do the math like that? Or should I just do a separate entry for Model 3 based on the official numbers? That should leave 461 for S+X but the form would need to split that.

• Informative
Reactions: hobbes
Hi @mrdoubleb. Both methods will work with some attention to details.

The numbers for the same country need to be submitted as a single entry if the form needs to calculate any model from the Tesla number. The form won't look at other rows when calculating a model from a Tesla number. Therefore, if you submit Model 3 in one row as published data and the Tesla number in another row as an estimate, there will be two different numbers for Model 3.

If both are approved, whichever entry was submitted later will be used. Normally, these two Model 3 numbers won't match. However, you can force them to match by either entering the Model 3 number as an estimate together with the Tesla number or by specifying the Model 3 number in column T after the Tesla number is submitted.

This would work:
Entry 1: (Your estimate that includes Tesla and Model 3 numbers) OR (Your estimate for Tesla only plus after that entry is submitted, Model 3 number is added to column T)
Entry 2: Published data for Model 3 (<< it is important that this entry is after the other one)

Of course, you could skip Entry 2 and just go with Entry 1 because Gov UK numbers will be added in the future anyway. Therefore using the SMMT numbers as actual numbers is not needed but it's up to you. Now that Entry 1 is sorted, you could submit Entry 2 with the actual Model 3 number.

@mrdoubleb, it looks good as a data source. I compared past numbers and they are a little low but not by much and we replace these later with gov.uk data anyway. So, I added it to the source page as an alternative media source until we have the official numbers.

By the way, the spreadsheet doesn't work well if Model 3 is in one entry and Model Y another.
The official UK numbers were published by the SMMT this morning, and I just submitted the Model 3 registrations to the table. As expected, the total Model 3 registrations were significantly larger (by about 300) than reported at newautomotive.org; the guys running that site seem to use registration plate numbers to sample the DVLA database, meaning that any cars with personalised reg. plates will be missed from the total count.

This wiki belongs to the thread EU Market situation and outlook. Click HERE (CTRL-click to open in new tab) to add new data using a Google form.
  • Any forum member can contribute. We encourage you to do so!
  • Your entry will appear after the data is double-checked by other volunteers.
  • If the data you submitted has changed, submit a new entry for the same month.
  • You can submit a new entry for an existing month if you believe your data is more accurate.
Thanks for your participation!

Project Manager: Hobbes
Technical Manager: Troy aka @TroyTeslike

Notes:
  • Troy (2 Sep 2021): Added Model Y.
  • Troy (6 Apr 2016): The European Alternative Fuels Observatory (EAFO) has started publishing stats HERE, although it is not as up to date as our data.
  • Troy (20 Feb 2016): To view this topic better, you can switch to the expanded view. The button is all the way down, in the bottom left corner.
mWz8scW.gif

Previous years' data is available here: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020)

pubchart

1643892747412.png

@hobbes, where is the Link for 2021 ?? 🤔

Greets from Germany

Last edited:
Reactions: petit_bateau
Unless @hobbes or @Troy object, i am proposing a hybrid approach for the June UK data as we have bits and pieces from multiple sources. SMMT has not updated their registrations site yet, but the have published a press release that shows Model Y at #2 in the month with 4194 deliveries. "Other imports" were 5775 from which our Google sheet calculates 5453 Teslas, but I would expect that to be a bit too high as the formula is unaware of the Shanghai situation. New Automotive has a specific number, 5163 for Tesla in June, which is in the context above, knowing the SMMT figures seems reasonable and more plausible than our formula's estimate. So for once they may have the actual real data.

So my proposal is to go with 4194 Model Y, which is a fact, and 5163-4194=969 Model 3. I have made an entry accordingly.

I don't like NewAutomotive.org as a data source for the UK because they were proven to be less accurate than SMMT Other Imports method when SMMT released both the Model 3 and Model Y numbers for the UK in March. Here are actual registrations in March:

Actual registrations in March 2022 were 6464+6457= 12,921
NewAutomotove.org here was at 12,033. They were off by -888 units or -6.9%.
SMMT Other Imports was at 12,836. They were off by -85 units or -0.7%

We should stick to what SMMT shows which is 5,453 units in June. 4,194 of that was Model Y. That leaves us with 1,259 Model 3.

da69WHA.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911