Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla (European) Wall Charger with NON Tesla EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The European wall connector is very flexible and can be used with different grid connections. All of these configurations can charge Tesla vehicles, but some are not compatible with other EVs. I would contact Tesla to find out if your specific installation should be compatible with other EVs or not.

The manual implies that it can be used to charge other EVs.

However, units installed under Tesla's destination charging programme appear NOT to charge non-Tesla EVs. Speculation is that there is an undocumented switch setting or possibly different software load that enables this mode, while ordinary end-user units are suitable for any EV, though I don't think this has been totally proven. In the UK at least, units are still in short supply (available only if you quote your VIN to show elligibility).

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Switching to electric mobility will help you save up to 80% of your annual gasoline bill. In many countries, electric vehicles can profit from governmental incentives and tax rebates which contributes to drive the total cost of ownership below the one of regular petrol car. Also, despite the advanced technology they carry on board, electric vehicles are cheaper to maintain than traditional cars. The engine has just one moving part and there is no gearbox: these simplifications means lower maintenance costs. Interesting here.

The manual implies that it can be used to charge other EVs.

However, units installed under Tesla's destination charging programme appear NOT to charge non-Tesla EVs. Speculation is that there is an undocumented switch setting or possibly different software load that enables this mode, while ordinary end-user units are suitable for any EV, though I don't think this has been totally proven. In the UK at least, units are still in short supply (available only if you quote your VIN to show elligibility).
I read the manual some time ago and saw that setting too. But reading it today doesnt say that anymore.