Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious if any Tesla vehicle will qualify for the full $7500. It looks like the $7500 is split into two $3500 allowances:

Allowances:
  1. $3,750 of the new credit is based upon the vehicle having at least 40% of its battery critical minerals from the United States (or countries with a free trade agreement with the United States.) Looks like for today, most of Tesla's critical minerals come from China? Tesla releases list of battery material suppliers, confirms long-term nickel deal with Vale
  2. $3,750 of the new credit is based on at least 50% of the battery components of the vehicle coming from the United States (or countries with a free trade agreement with the US.) I'm guessing the Tesla models that pass the pricing threshold qualify here.

Free trade agreement countries: Free Trade Agreements

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311 and blodg1
I'm curious if any Tesla vehicle will qualify for the full $7500. It looks like the $7500 is split into two $3500 allowances:

Allowances:
  1. $3,750 of the new credit is based upon the vehicle having at least 40% of its battery critical minerals from the United States (or countries with a free trade agreement with the United States.) Looks like for today, most of Tesla's critical minerals come from China? Tesla releases list of battery material suppliers, confirms long-term nickel deal with Vale
  2. $3,750 of the new credit is based on at least 50% of the battery components of the vehicle coming from the United States (or countries with a free trade agreement with the US.) I'm guessing the Tesla models that pass the pricing threshold qualify here.

Free trade agreement countries: Free Trade Agreements
Those parentheses should be removed given how important that will be for some of the manufacturers.

Those parentheses should be removed given how important that will be for some of the manufacturers.
Rivian is getting borked if this new EV tax credit bill passes. They'll lose the current $7.5k credit and not be eligible for the new one due to where they source their batteries from. Think it's hard to just find a qualifying battery supplier in less than 4 months.

Interesting enough, the percentages increase year over year. I'm curious if the 2027 minerals requirement is going to be feasible for any OEM. I imagine it will take a couple years to stand up these new mining and refining factories but I guess we'll see.

• The 40% minerals requirement increases to 50% in 2024, 60% in 2025, 70% in 2026 and 80% in 2027.
  • The 50% battery components requirement increases to 60% in 2024, 70% in 2026, 80% in 2027, 90% in 2028 and 100% in 2029.

Last edited:
Maybe if inflation eases, Tesla can bump the base M3LR price down just a bit from 57 to 55... - huge net win for customers.
There is so much Tesla could do to bump the price down a few thousands. They could sell a M3LR- for $55,000. If you need to get all those things back, you pay after purchase $2000 unless you want to go with a M3LR- without heated seat, without basic AP, without sentry mode, go from 0-60 in 6 seconds...

Interesting enough, the percentages increase year over year. I'm curious if the minerals requirement is going to be feasible for any OEM. I imagine it will take a couple years to stand up these new mining and refining factories.

• The 40% minerals requirement increases to 50% in 2024, 60% in 2025, 70% in 2026 and 80% in 2027.
  • The 50% battery components requirement increases to 60% in 2024, 70% in 2026, 80% in 2027, 90% in 2028 and 100% in 2029.

Probably not a problem for Tesla.

For example: Tesla eyes $1b-plus of Australian minerals.

Tesla currently draws three quarters of its lithium supply from Australia, alongside a third of its nickel needs – all part of the roughly $5000 worth of minerals and metals in every one of the company’s electric vehicles.

“Australia is capable of supplying almost all of it,” Ms Denholm said.

But where the nickel comes from is probably more important, since I think there is more nickel than lithium in most of the packs.

But even there Tesla has contracts to help qualify: Tesla Secures 5-year Lithium Supply Deal Starting Next Year With Australia's Liontown.

Earlier this year, Tesla agreed to buy nickel supplies from Talon Metals Corp’s (OTC:TLOFF) Tamarack mines in central Minnesota, a first such U.S.-based nickel supply deal for the Austin, Texas-based EV company.

And if their LFP supply switches to local production, now that patents have expired, that could qualify as well.

Really, this goes hand-in-hand with what Tesla has been trying to do all along: To localize the supply chain as much as possible.

Yep, resurrected indeed :)

Will apply for Tesla's purchased after December 31, 2022 though. So for future buyers, make sure you take delivery in 2023 in case your income and vehicle qualifies.

Yeah - assuming the bill survives the next month or two getting thru congress without further changes.

It will be interesting to see what this does to used Tesla prices - there's $4k in there for used EV's I think... That would seem to improve used Tesla affordability a bit (once the bill goes into force)

picked mine up in may and love it - good luck to those who may get the credit
I picked my MY last month. The promise of this bill was a major reason for me to order the car last fall. I failed. Manchin is ************.
I have a CT reservation though... hope the bill will pass before some time in 2024. Also, we now know the price of the Cybertruck - $79,990.

Reactions: jawnly211
I picked my MY last month. The promise of this bill was a major reason for me to order the car last fall. I failed. Manchin is ************.
I have a CT reservation though... hope the bill will pass before some time in 2024. Also, we now know the price of the Cybertruck - $79,990.
I also had delayed my M3 delivery to 2022 in hope this passes and will be retroactive. Well, it was not meant to be.