Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did I hear this right, with the new bill they are working on now, the tax credit will be received in 2023 for any sale in 2022 and not during point of sale for the year of 2022?
But starting 2023, it will be point of sale credit?
Yeah it looks like the very last line of the section states that the part about a refundable upfront credit goes into effect after 12/31/2022. It mentions the government sending advance payments to dealers so they probably need time setting it up

I remember seeing this thread back when it was started in February. I figured, "I don't care, I want the car now, I'll get it now." Well, I got it in March and ordered it at the end of February when the LR AWD was $48,990 -- so I guess I did better than if I had waited for tax credits considering the same configuration starts at $57,990 now - a $9,000 price increase.
Or you can been like some of us who ordered back then and placed our order on hold to take advantage of the low price and the potential tax credit 😄.

Reactions: Spidey616
I talked to my SA today and he said that if I delay my delivery, I will be put at the of the line... my EDD has pushed back 3 times and now is 11/7 - 12/5 ... I think I will let it to delay by itself and will xing my fingers so that my delivery is in Jan 2022...

Is this what you guys have been doing?? Is it true what my SA said ?

If you don't accept your delivery, are you put at the end of the line???
I told my SA I can't take delivery after Dec. 5th because I'll be on vacation until January and may not even be able to respond if they give me a vin. He's put that in the notes and said that won't be a problem.

What happens if only the Infrastructure Bill passes and Not the Build Back Better. These have been so closely tied together for so long. Which Bill are the EV credits in?
It’s not in the infrastructure bill. It’s in the other one. The bill that the EV credits are in is the one that may not get a vote any time soon. I was hoping for the credit to pass but I’m not going to hinge my car purchase plans on it.

Reactions: doomsday997
It’s not in the infrastructure bill. It’s in the other one. The bill that the EV credits are in is the one that may not get a vote any time soon. I was hoping for the credit to pass but I’m not going to hinge my car purchase plans on it.
Yep and remember even if the house passes it has to go to the senate where some provisions wil likely get cut by joe Manchin and the senate parliamentarian then it will be kicked back to the house again…

Yep and remember even if the house passes it has to go to the senate where some provisions wil likely get cut by joe Manchin and the senate parliamentarian then it will be kicked back to the house again…
I think best case scenario is before thanksgiving. Even the house moderate democrats are asking for CBO score which can take some time, then to Senate and after Manchin's edit back to house. That too if all goes well and we have to see what all will be there after the edits !

yes thats where I heard it too. Point of sale credit sounds much more appealing than waiting all the way till 2023.
I guess, but you can manipulate things yourself to not "wait" until following year's tax time. Have less withheld from your paychecks to give yourself $7,500 more in take home pay. I typically try to have my withholdings during the year get close to equaling my projected tax burden for that year, as I don't like giving interest free loans to the government (nor having to write them a check).

Reactions: tangible1
Or you can been like some of us who ordered back then and placed our order on hold to take advantage of the low price and the potential tax credit 😄.

Or take deliver of a SR MY in January and have it appreciate $12k above what I paid. Enjoy it all year and sell it for $57k and ordered a MY Performance, rolling the equity into the next Tesla 😂 + potential tax credits, basically getting a MYP for way cheaper lol

Well, the infrastructure bill was just passed. There is a commitment from the progressives to pass the BBB bill no later than the week of November 15th.
At least this is something concrete. Not only did they say they’d vote that week, they said they’d vote on the currently proposed bill.

Say what you want about pelosi. She can count votes and if it comes to a vote, it will pass. How different is the currently proposed House bill from what was passed in the senate?

Or take deliver of a SR MY in January and have it appreciate $12k above what I paid. Enjoy it all year and sell it for $57k and ordered a MY Performance, rolling the equity into the next Tesla 😂 + potential tax credits, basically getting a MYP for way cheaper lol
Or drop $7500 into a Roth IRA in 2013, pump it all into Tesla stock at $33 per share. Have over a million in tax free dollars to spend on whatever car I want and not care about price increases or tax credits. Just kidding, I just wanted to play in the “one up” game too.

They will pass something. EV credits have bipartisan support. Not passing a bill is political disaster for the Dems.

If the progressives and moderates want to give each other the middle finger, they deserve to lose out in the midterms.
The problem is, it is questionable whether all the Dems ARE Dems. They seem to be one real Dem short in the senate.