Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The BBB legislation seems even more unlikely to pass now that congress untied it from the infrastructure bill. It could still happen and I hope it does, but I may not delay my MYP any longer to find out. $8K back would be nice, but at the end of the day I can afford the car without it.
Coming up on midterm elections next year. The politicians sense of self-preservation will kick in and something will get passed. It may not be the text we've seen now but it will likely be close. POTUS also mentioned the progressives have signed on and said they would pass the BBB assuming the CBO numbers line up with the White House's numbers. Its coming, just a matter of how watered down it gets.

Reactions: EvEv
Decided to ask my SA about the process of putting my MY delivery on hold to wait for the EV credit should the bill pass. The SA said they can only hold if it is within 90 days of when the order was placed and the hold period cannot exceed 30 days. I'm already beyond the 90 day point so not an option for me. Just wanted to share the info since I saw several different discussions about placing holds.
This seems to be another case of who you talk to, as SA's don't seem to be consistent on this matter. I have seen similar reports from other SA's stating exactly what you stated, but I have also seen other people's accounts that have had multiple holds for months on end with original order dates being close to a year old. I think this is a case of just keep trying until you get the answer you want.

Decided to ask my SA about the process of putting my MY delivery on hold to wait for the EV credit should the bill pass. The SA said they can only hold if it is within 90 days of when the order was placed and the hold period cannot exceed 30 days. I'm already beyond the 90 day point so not an option for me. Just wanted to share the info since I saw several different discussions about placing holds.
My hold is good for nearly 60 days (Jan 1) so I suspect you’re getting some bad info.

I emailed my SA yesterday requesting a hold until Jan 1 for my mid-Oct MYP order. Got hold placed in a matter of minutes, no questions asked.

Sometimes if you ask whether or not you can do something or what the policy is, they have to make up what to tell you. But if you request a specific action, they will likely just do it. :)

Here is a current summary from Electrek... $12,500 EV tax credit still alive, but not yet approved. ;)

"House speaker Nancy Pelosi began Friday’s congressional session with plans to vote on the $1.75 trillion “Build Back Better Act” and concurrently the $12,500 federal EV tax credit within it. However, a small group of moderates in the House refused to support the legislation without a cost estimate from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO). As a result, the House approved a procedural vote required to open Biden’s “Build Back Better Act” to passage, following an official CBO cost estimate. Those moderates opposed all signed an assurance that they would vote in favor of passage once the score is released. This vote for the larger overall spending package should take place when Congress resumes after a week-long recess.

The Build Back Better Act and its potential $12,500 EV credit still awaits passage following the CBO score and official Congressional approval. A lot can change between now and the official signature in the oval office, but here are the latest terms introduced earlier this week. Note – these exact terms are not confirmed until the bill has been officially passed:

• Federal tax credit for EVs jumps from $7,500 to $12,500
    • Keep the $7,500 incentive for new electric cars for 5 years
    • Add an additional $4,500 for EVs assembled in the US using union labor
    • Another $500 for EVs using battery packs with 50% of components (including cells) made in the US
  • Zero-emission vans, SUVs and trucks with MSRPs up to $80,000 qualify (increased from previous policy)
  • Electric sedans priced up to $55,000 MSRP qualify (stays the same)
  • The full EV tax credit will be available to individuals reporting adjusted gross incomes of $250,000 or less, $500,000 for joint filers (decreased from $400,000 for individuals/$800,000 for joint filers currently in place)
  • EVs must be made in the US starting in 2027 to qualify for any of the $12,500 credit
  • Eliminates tax credit cap after automakers hit 200,000 EVs sold, making GM and Tesla once again eligible"

I emailed my SA yesterday requesting a hold until Jan 1 for my mid-Oct MYP order. Got hold placed in a matter of minutes, no questions asked.

Sometimes if you ask whether or not you can do something or what the policy is, they have to make up what to tell you. But if you request a specific action, they will likely just do it. :)
Same emailed SA to hold till Jan 2nd week and within few minutes hold placed

You get an SA assigned when you place an order. They reach out to you via phone, text, or email in a day or two - apparently not in all cases.
Dang...nope. This will be my second tesla....and I placed an order for a MYP and MS on the same day (sep 6th). Got a "Thank you for your order" email that day, a "Welcome to the Tesla Family" the next day....neither had SA info in it.

Dang...nope. This will be my second tesla....and I placed an order for a MYP and MS on the same day (sep 6th). Got a "Thank you for your order" email that day, a "Welcome to the Tesla Family" the next day....neither had SA info in it.
I've got a call next day from a local sales who I met a few months earlier. He texted me this: "I wanted to text you so you would have my text number which is the best way to reach me if you have questions, etc. Our phones are forwarded out of the state so it's easiest to text me back with a call request and I will get back to you. "

It is likely that your SA is a local person. You may try find it out at a local SC.