Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now this is actually a brilliant idea. It would essentially allow Tesla to sell FSD on every car, they’d make more money at zero marginal cost, the cost to the buyer stays the same, and buyers are getting something of value so optically it doesn’t just look like Tesla jacked up prices to offset the tax credit.
Not IMHO. I still have to pay / finance that additional $7,000 up front. If I buy today I won't see that $7,000 come back until I file my 2021 tax returns.

Well we already saw the Performance get a little more expensive... maybe they’re positioning just in case the credit does come back. Maybe another $1,000 bump to the Performance and a $1,000 bump to the LR in the next couple months?

I doubt anything unique to the Performance actually increased in cost to Tesla...

Has anybody tweeted at Elon (or reached out to Tesla) on this topic? Seems like there are at least a good number of folks who are prepared to order, but are waiting to see what happens with the tax credit = delayed sales. Alternatively, some who are ordering are simply planning to reject/defer delivery once matched if the bill progresses or looks to pass in the near term = logistical headaches and delayed sales.

While I realize Tesla/Elon have no control over what Congress does, their actions are impacting Tesla (and GM for that matter). I've kicked around the idea of trying to assemble a group of buyers who fall in this category, putting together a Google sheet to provide some validity and attach a $ number to it---share this with folks on Ways/Means committee and prompt them to add a date for purchase eligibility in the Bill and then supply to Elon, and ask for some help---for example, if all such buyers place an order in Q1, take delivery in 2021 and it ends up that the delivery date pre-dates eligibility on the Tax Credit (if it passes) then Tesla would offer a $7k discount on the purchase of FSD or some other benefit to these buyers (perhaps year of supercharging?). Thoughts? I realize they don't have to do anything, but for some of us who are looking to buy, we don't have to either--my car is perfectly fine, was just going to make a change and was ready to purchase when this new tax credit legislation was introduced.

Has anybody tweeted at Elon (or reached out to Tesla) on this topic? Seems like there are at least a good number of folks who are prepared to order, but are waiting to see what happens with the tax credit = delayed sales. Alternatively, some who are ordering are simply planning to reject/defer delivery once matched if the bill progresses or looks to pass in the near term = logistical headaches and delayed sales.

While I realize Tesla/Elon have no control over what Congress does, their actions are impacting Tesla (and GM for that matter). I've kicked around the idea of trying to assemble a group of buyers who fall in this category, putting together a Google sheet to provide some validity and attach a $ number to it---share this with folks on Ways/Means committee and prompt them to add a date for purchase eligibility in the Bill and then supply to Elon, and ask for some help---for example, if all such buyers place an order in Q1, take delivery in 2021 and it ends up that the delivery date pre-dates eligibility on the Tax Credit (if it passes) then Tesla would offer a $7k discount on the purchase of FSD or some other benefit to these buyers (perhaps year of supercharging?). Thoughts? I realize they don't have to do anything, but for some of us who are looking to buy, we don't have to either--my car is perfectly fine, was just going to make a change and was ready to purchase when this new tax credit legislation was introduced.

Keep an eye on "existing inventory", if that starts to grow, then it shows a drop off in demand that could be tied to waiting for take cuts. If existing inventory remains tight for some cars (S, X, and Y), then Tesla likely has no reason to do anything "special" between now and when it's firm if there will be a tax cut or not. This time either gives Tesla more wiggle room to retool S/X production before too much of a backlog builds up for those new cars, or build some inventory so they have some waiting at stores for short turn arounds. It also gives some time for Model Y to build up some local store inventory. While Tesla is very much a "just in time" manufacturer, they do like to have some amount of cars on site for walk in sales or to shorten that order to delivery time to like 1 to 2 weeks time frame. Otherwise we would see them cutting Model 3 productions to keep that on site inventory near zero.

Tesla to get access to $7,000 tax credit on 400,000 more electric cars in the US with new incentive reform - Electrek

Just wanted to see anyone's thoughts on this. Just picked up a model y in Jan. Will they be retroactive for the year? It still needs to pass legislation, but that would suck if it isn't retroactive. Anyone holding off on their purchase?
Yes I am, I have an alert from Congress.gov to watch progress of bill. When it passes I'm immediately placing an order

Reactions: imola.zhp
Yes I am, I have an alert from Congress.gov to watch progress of bill. When it passes I'm immediately placing an order
I am thinking about putting in the order tonight or within a week. I know I want a MY by August and I can lock in the pricing now and just delay delivery.

I think there is a possibility the bill gets passed before end of April. Either way, I worry Tesla also has an "alert" for the bill and raises prices even if slightly to benefit from the instant demand. I bet they will know a day or so beforehand with high confidence that it will be getting passed and they may raise prices in advance of it passing too. Any thoughts?

Reactions: suprax
You don't have to wait, place your order now and when your sales associate, client advisor or whatever Tesla sales employees call themselves calls, tell him or her that you want to delay your delivery for 6 months.

I ordered last July, the car they tried to deliver to us in August had paint issues so we held off and then I was waiting for this update, and then that update, no rush for us, we are getting by with one car just fine. Now I'm waiting on this legislation to pass. I have FSD locked in at $8k so basically free FSD if I keep FSD.

I am thinking about putting in the order tonight or within a week. I know I want a MY by August and I can lock in the pricing now and just delay delivery.

I think there is a possibility the bill gets passed before end of April. Either way, I worry Tesla also has an "alert" for the bill and raises prices even if slightly to benefit from the instant demand. I bet they will know a day or so beforehand with high confidence that it will be getting passed and they may raise prices in advance of it passing too. Any thoughts?
Technically, the order agreement will say you have 3 months to take delivery of the vehicle after first attempt to notify. I heard it used to be 6 months. They could technically assign you a VIN and delivery date after your order is placed then your clock would be running. They then have the right to cancel your order and consider the order fee earned. Not sure how strictly they have been enforcing this as I think the change from 6 to 3 months was right around the new year. You could try to work with an advisor to have your account immediately placed on hold, but I still don't think that guarantees anything.

I would just hold off on placing the order as long as possible before you think any incentives are gaining traction to give yourself a bigger window. In any case, it's a $100 bet you're playing.

Technically, the order agreement will say you have 3 months to take delivery of the vehicle after first attempt to notify. I heard it used to be 6 months. They could technically assign you a VIN and delivery date after your order is placed then your clock would be running. They then have the right to cancel your order and consider the order fee earned. Not sure how strictly they have been enforcing this as I think the change from 6 to 3 months was right around the new year. You could try to work with an advisor to have your account immediately placed on hold, but I still don't think that guarantees anything.

I would just hold off on placing the order as long as possible before you think any incentives are gaining traction to give yourself a bigger window. In any case, it's a $100 bet you're playing.
Yeah, it is 3 months now. My sales guy told me today that since it’s now 5-9 week wait for a MY, I essentially have 4+ months. Clearly a VIN could be assigned earlier, but he said it will definitely take a few weeks because they just unloaded Q1 inventory. So I “should” be good for an August delivery.

I’ll probably wait a week or two then put the order in.

Yeah, it is 3 months now. My sales guy told me today that since it’s now 5-9 week wait for a MY, I essentially have 4+ months. Clearly a VIN could be assigned earlier, but he said it will definitely take a few weeks because they just unloaded Q1 inventory. So I “should” be good for an August delivery.

I’ll probably wait a week or two then put the order in.

I still have an active order from July of 2020, so these time frames do not seem accurate.

EDIT: Ordered July 2020, attempted delivery August 1st, rejected due to paint defects, placed back in cue, added hitch. Added FSD at $8k the morning the price went to $10k, just before the increase. Every 6 weeks (give or take) I get a text from Tesla asking if I'm ready to proceed with my order.

I'm in a similar situation. I placed an order for a MYLR 5 seat on 3/22/21 and had my sales advisor place it on hold the same day as I would like to take delivery June-August which is when a lease ends. I recently considered taking delivery a little earlier, in May, however with news of the Biden infrastructure plan I'd like to see what happens with that in the event I can save some cash.

The one thing I'm curious about however is from the many news articles I've been reading about the plan, they mention "point of sale" rebates often, meaning it won't be a tax credit like the previous $7,500 one was. I'm curious if "point of sale" means the point at which you order the vehicle (and pay the $100) or the point at which you take delivery? It kind of sounds like "point of sale" = initial order.

This would obviously make a difference in terms of the potential $7,500 or $10,000+ rebate. If it turns out to be based on the original order date, I'll be putting in a new order and taking the $100 hit on my first order.