Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still have an active order from July of 2020, so these time frames do not seem accurate.

EDIT: Ordered July 2020, attempted delivery August 1st, rejected due to paint defects, placed back in cue, added hitch. Added FSD at $8k the morning the price went to $10k, just before the increase. Every 6 weeks (give or take) I get a text from Tesla asking if I'm ready to proceed with my order.
Maybe they
I'm in a similar situation. I placed an order for a MYLR 5 seat on 3/22/21 and had my sales advisor place it on hold the same day as I would like to take delivery June-August which is when a lease ends. I recently considered taking delivery a little earlier, in May, however then with news of the Biden infrastructure plan I'd like to see what happens in the event I can save some cash. The one thing I'm curious about however is from the many news articles I've been reading about the plan, it mentions "point of sale" rebates often, meaning it won't be a tax credit like the previous $7,500 one. I'm curious if "point of sale" means the point at which you order the vehicle (and pay the $100) or the point at which you take delivery?

This would obviously make a difference in terms of the potential $7,500 or $10,000+ rebate. If it turns out to be based on the original order date, I'll be putting in a new order and taking the $100 hit.
I think the order date has nothing to do with the rebate/tax credit. The order is for Tesla to get a car ready for you. Until you pay for the entire car, it’s not recorded as a sale.

• Informative
Reactions: AprilMay and suprax
I am thinking about putting in the order tonight or within a week. I know I want a MY by August and I can lock in the pricing now and just delay delivery.

I think there is a possibility the bill gets passed before end of April. Either way, I worry Tesla also has an "alert" for the bill and raises prices even if slightly to benefit from the instant demand. I bet they will know a day or so beforehand with high confidence that it will be getting passed and they may raise prices in advance of it passing too. Any thoughts?
I'll be amazed if the Infrastructure bill passes in anything like it's current form before the end of April, forget about the Green or Cares acts.... Congress isn't going to take up 2 large partisan bills at the same time. I think you'll have plenty of time as the EV Credits (I forget which bill they are in) crawls towards some sort of conclusion. There will be months of grandstanding, infighting and alterations before it even comes to a vote. If it were me (and I'm glad I didn't wait as I love the car) I'd order after it passes one house of Congress.

I'm in a similar situation. I placed an order for a MYLR 5 seat on 3/22/21 and had my sales advisor place it on hold the same day as I would like to take delivery June-August which is when a lease ends. I recently considered taking delivery a little earlier, in May, however with news of the Biden infrastructure plan I'd like to see what happens with that in the event I can save some cash.

The one thing I'm curious about however is from the many news articles I've been reading about the plan, they mention "point of sale" rebates often, meaning it won't be a tax credit like the previous $7,500 one was. I'm curious if "point of sale" means the point at which you order the vehicle (and pay the $100) or the point at which you take delivery? It kind of sounds like "point of sale" = initial order.

This would obviously make a difference in terms of the potential $7,500 or $10,000+ rebate. If it turns out to be based on the original order date, I'll be putting in a new order and taking the $100 hit on my first order.

Point of sale is the point at which you take ownership, to be clear the point at which you receive the car and sign the final paperwork, bill of sale. Think of your order more as a reservation, not an order. In fact, that's how Tesla see's it in their system and how you will see it in your Tesla account until you take delivery. RNXXXXXXXXX stands for "Reservation Number" XXXXXXXXX.

• Informative
Reactions: AprilMay and suprax
Yeah, it is 3 months now. My sales guy told me today that since it’s now 5-9 week wait for a MY, I essentially have 4+ months. Clearly a VIN could be assigned earlier, but he said it will definitely take a few weeks because they just unloaded Q1 inventory. So I “should” be good for an August delivery.

I’ll probably wait a week or two then put the order in.
I don’t know. I was driving to the service center yesterday to pick up my Y after having the charger door realigned. There was a full semi of new Y’s being delivered to SoCal (all older headlights btw). Unless there’s supply constraints, they are churning these out. Geography seems to be the biggest factor for where you fall in the timeframe. MYP and 7 seater having a longer timeline as well it seems.

I don’t know. I was driving to the service center yesterday to pick up my Y after having the charger door realigned. There was a full semi of new Y’s being delivered to SoCal (all older headlights btw). Unless there’s supply constraints, they are churning these out. Geography seems to be the biggest factor for where you fall in the timeframe. MYP and 7 seater having a longer timeline as well it seems.
After I put my order in today the website changed from 5-9 weeks to now 6-10 weeks. Maybe there is very strong demand creating a large backlog.

And that means I could order FSD to lock in price and a few weeks before pickup be like "just kidding im poor now" and have them remove it?
The cars are being continually built and order configurations are sizing batches. If you delay your order then that car you ordered is just being sold to someone else who also asked for that configuration. After the car is scheduled for its first delivery, it may sit up to 3 days after that day. If the buyer who matched it passes on it then it will be assigned to the next build match in the queue. Theoretically a specific car could continually sit 3 days each time indefinitely, but statistically someone will want to drive it home. Based on no data whatsoever, I’d guess with the high demand, most cars aren’t sitting past more than 1 or 2 buyers if that.

As far as ordering FSD, yes you lock in that price, but if you don’t want it anymore then you may forfeit your order fee of currently $100 to change your order and also reset your wait time. If you end up not wanting it at the very end, maybe they won’t care because it’s just a software change and maybe you have to pay $100 to change the order. I’m not entirely sure if they will put you in the back of the queue or not because ultimately someone will have that build matching an order somewhere else in America, so they can sell it to someone who has also been waiting.

Last edited:
The cars are being continually built and order configurations are sizing batches. If you delay your order then that car you ordered is just being sold to someone else who also asked for that configuration. After the car is scheduled for its first delivery, it may sit up to 3 days after that day. If the buyer who matched it passes on it then it will be assigned to the next build match in the queue. Theoretically a specific car could continually sit 3 days each time indefinitely, but statistically someone will want to drive it home. Based on no data whatsoever, I’d guess with the high demand, most cars aren’t sitting past more than 1 or 2 buyers if that.

As far as ordering FSD, yes you lock in that price, but if you don’t want it anymore then you may forfeit your order fee of currently $100 to change your order and also reset your wait time. If you end up not wanting it at the very end, maybe they won’t care because it’s just a software change and maybe you have to pay $100 to change the order. I’m not entirely sure if they will put you in the back of the queue or not because ultimately someone will have that build matching an order somewhere else in America, so they can sell it to someone who has also been waiting.
What happens to pricing when you remove just FSD? I thought some people were having the price reset to current pricing when they modified their configuration (color, 5 or 7 seater, LR or P)? Would he lose his initial pricing if Tesla raises their prices?

UPDATE: Tesla reached out to me this morning with the attached message. This morning, I was busy, I skimmed but thought they were saying the reservation would be canceled. But upon second glance, it looks like I can still extend out my reservation. I'm going to give that a shot.
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 12.53.30 PM.png

What happens to pricing when you remove just FSD? I thought some people were having the price reset to current pricing when they modified their configuration (color, 5 or 7 seater, LR or P)? Would he lose his initial pricing if Tesla raises their prices?
I am not sure. I do know if you change your physical configuration, then yes, you get updated to current pricing and need to pay any differences. However, not sure about FSD. I know I can add FSD to my current order and I won't have to pay the $500 recent price increase, just the $10,000 FSD upgrade. So I am not sure about software changes.

UPDATE: Tesla reached out to me this morning with the attached message. This morning, I was busy, I skimmed but thought they were saying the reservation would be canceled. But upon second glance, it looks like I can still extend out my reservation. I'm going to give that a shot.

I responded to that email stating that we were still excited to bring home a Model Y. That we have decided to wait until the local store, in Memphis, is completed so that we can take delivery locally.

Tesla responded quickly stating that they would keep the reservation open and to let them know when we were ready to proceed.