Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last I had checked that ev incentives/rebates hadn’t been picked up once being voted out of committee. Not to say it won’t happen but that’s not a great sign.
Where does one check?

I previously linked this article from about 13 days ago, with a quote:

“Upfront incentives to purchase, for passenger vehicles — that was not in the bipartisan plan, but hopefully will be part of the reconciliation plan,” she said, referring to Democrats' larger funding bill.
-Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm
Energy chief touts electric vehicle funding in Senate plan

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Is this likely to get resolved (one way or another) by mid-November to mid-December? I released my hold on a Model Y and that's the estimated delivery date at the moment. I'm not betting on either, but it would be awesome if it were Austin made and had the federal tax credit.

Is this likely to get resolved (one way or another) by mid-November to mid-December? I released my hold on a Model Y and that's the estimated delivery date at the moment. I'm not betting on either, but it would be awesome if it were Austin made and had the federal tax credit.
Nope.

If there’s anything Big fed is good at doing, it’s wasting time, money, and getting peoples hopes up.

Just ask the folks who thought they were really going to get their student loans knocked out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv1984
Nope.

If there’s anything Big fed is good at doing, it’s wasting time, money, and getting peoples hopes up.

Just ask the folks who thought they were really going to get their student loans knocked out.

That sucks, I don't need the tax credit, it would just be nice to have. I'm more hoping the new Texas built cars will be produced by my delivery date. I'm tired of waiting for the bill to pass and wanted the car by my birthday in December.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
That sucks, I don't need the tax credit, it would just be nice to have. I'm more hoping the new Texas built cars will be produced by my delivery date. I'm tired of waiting for the bill to pass and wanted the car by my birthday in December.
If anything you would want to delay delivery until January 2022. This way, if anything does pass, there may be more of a chance it going into effect for next tax year. Or even if it passes in Feb/Mar it might be retroactive until Jan 1st, but doubtful anything retro back to 2021.

I originally ordered in April "hoping" for a tax credit by first week of August. I was going to time the release of my hold to time with a tax credit by then. When this clearly wasn't going to happen, I released my hold beginning of June and had the car a couple weeks later. I'm very happy with my decision as I didn't need a tax credit to afford the car, I was just trying to make the most of it. And now I've had the car for 8 weeks and loving it.

bummer for all those waiting.
Thanks for sharing.
The last paragraph is significant:

Thankfully, Sen. Fischer's amendment is non-binding and is unlikely to be greeted warmly by the House of Representatives. Meanwhile, European market share of plug-in vehicles has now risen above 10 percent thanks to effective policies that require OEMs to reduce their average fleet emissions or suffer massive fines.

$100,000 income limit is typically $200,000 family income, no big deal. However $40,000 cap would defeat the point of the credit, that is to encourage purchase of EVs so that their adoption will accelerate. Battery costs have not reduced enough YET for good cars to be competitive at less than $40,000. The only decent car that makes it it a zero option limited range Model 3.

Our legislators are pathetically ignorant of EV car issues.

$100,000 income limit is typically $200,000 family income, no big deal. However $40,000 cap would defeat the point of the credit, that is to encourage purchase of EVs so that their adoption will accelerate. Battery costs have not reduced enough YET for good cars to be competitive at less than $40,000. The only decent car that makes it it a zero option limited range Model 3.

Our legislators are pathetically ignorant of EV car issues.
Guess Tesla will have to offer the SR+ at $38,790 before destination to compete. Oh well.

Reactions: coalesce99
Contrary to some's popular belief, the EV tax credit is still alive and well as part of the $3.5 T social infrastructure package that can be passed by the Democratic majority.

Dems propose new $12,500 electric car rebate, Tesla left with $4,500 disadvantage

I hope it happens too. But until POTUS signs the final legislation any kind of changes are possible. This legislation changed a lot from what we last saw. I’m not saying it won’t happen, just that we should watch and see how it all shakes out.

As we get closer to the dates Dems have said they want to get this legislation through that will give me an idea of if I’m putting a hold on my MY order. Delivery currently slated for late November to early December. So there’s time to see how legislation shakes out and make a decision.

Good luck everyone.

Edit: here’s a good Reddit thread where folks are breaking down the current legislation