Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This bill proposal is a real mess.

- I cannot figure out why EVs seem to be mentioned, but Hydrogen, Hybrid, Plugable Hybrid,
or cars with features like Solar Panels, or providing Vehicle-to-grid (V2G) capabilities....
are not really described since they all more or less contribute to a greener environment?

- Why making distiction with shape and price of vehicules?

A sedan can be either a luxury car or a tiny compact car, may be weight or efficiency should be a better criteria than price.
What about hatchback, are they considered as sedan.
What about coupes or convertibles cars, which are basically sedans with two doors.

Why making a distinction between a van and a pickup truck which are very similar.
Because depending of your business you want a van to protect content or a pick up to carry cumberson loads.
Also a van carry more passengers, removing car polution, but get a lesser advantage than trucks.

And vans a typically for families where trucks are for businesses which can deduct expenses from taxes.
Why not making a differences then if the car is used for family or for business purpose.

And the price limitation for each category should apply only to additional options,
but should not be affected by the choice of battery size otherwise people living in northen states
will get a disaventage as they need the extra range while in southern states you don't need extra battery.
Same if you need an AWD when livung in snowy states compared to 2WD in sunny states.

So basically, why not make it very basic and simple like previously with a 200,000 car sold limitation or a 5 years limitation.
Price, shape, battery range, motor size..., should be only user choice depending on multiple criteria and needs.

The only difference for me would be if the vehicle is for personal transportation or for business,
because for business usage you can deduct expenses, while for personal usage
you already paid income taxes before you can spend the remaning of your income to buy a vehicule.

If a business can both deduct cost from taxes and also get tax return when buying a vehicule, kind of double dipping,
why then not having business buying cars for their employees as part of their salary like in other countries.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
This bill proposal is a real mess.

- I cannot figure out why EVs seem to be mentioned, but Hydrogen, Hybrid, Plugable Hybrid,
or cars with features like Solar Panels, or providing Vehicle-to-grid (V2G) capabilities....
are not really described since they all more or less contribute to a greener environment?

- Why making distiction with shape and price of vehicules?

A sedan can be either a luxury car or a tiny compact car, may be weight or efficiency should be a better criteria than price.
What about hatchback, are they considered as sedan.
What about coupes or convertibles cars, which are basically sedans with two doors.

Why making a distinction between a van and a pickup truck which are very similar.
Because depending of your business you want a van to protect content or a pick up to carry cumberson loads.
Also a van carry more passengers, removing car polution, but get a lesser advantage than trucks.

And vans a typically for families where trucks are for businesses which can deduct expenses from taxes.
Why not making a differences then if the car is used for family or for business purpose.

And the price limitation for each category should apply only to additional options,
but should not be affected by the choice of battery size otherwise people living in northen states
will get a disaventage as they need the extra range while in southern states you don't need extra battery.
Same if you need an AWD when livung in snowy states compared to 2WD in sunny states.

So basically, why not make it very basic and simple like previously with a 200,000 car sold limitation or a 5 years limitation.
Price, shape, battery range, motor size..., should be only user choice depending on multiple criteria and needs.

The only difference for me would be if the vehicle is for personal transportation or for business,
because for business usage you can deduct expenses, while for personal usage
you already paid income taxes before you can spend the remaning of your income to buy a vehicule.

If a business can both deduct cost from taxes and also get tax return when buying a vehicule, kind of double dipping,
why then not having business buying cars for their employees as part of their salary like in other countries.
You assume that the policy is designed to move car buyers towards cleaner alternatives. The union-made provision makes it pretty clear that there are other non-environmental considerations at play.

I think the case for the Model Y is pretty straight forward. They know that people are willing to pay at the current prices so Tesla is incentivized to capture most of the benefit. Tesla is going to absolutely make use of their potential savings tab on their order pages.
  • MY LR AWD: Tesla knows people will be willing pay approximately $53,990 for the base so they can raise the price as much as $7000 to $60,990 and still allow for the $8000 maximum of upgrades coming in just under the $69,000 limit for SUVs. This would only net the customer $1000 of benefit to wait until 2022.
  • MY P: Tesla could raise the MY P $6000 from $60,990 to $66,990 allowing for the maximum of upgrades ($2000). This also maintains most of the price difference between the LR AWD and P. This would only mean a $2000 benefit to the customer to wait until 2022.
So I think the decision for Model Y orders is going to be more in the range of are you willing to wait for $1000 or $2000 to which I would guess most Model Y owners wouldn't worry about too much.
Two questions:

Are we sure that the MY would qualify as an 'SUV'? It seems to exist in the crossover space between a car/SUV, so not sure what is officially used to decide this...

Have an order due in Jan so obviously hoping for the tax credit, and it's currently $990 over the $69k limit (assuming the limit is based on subtotal before destination/doc/order fees; is that accurate?)...trying to decide if I should remove white interior or wheel upgrade while I still can without incurring cost increases if the price of the car or FSD goes up....

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 9.49.07 AM.png

Two questions:

Are we sure that the MY would qualify as an 'SUV'? It seems to exist in the crossover space between a car/SUV, so not sure what is officially used to decide this...

Have an order due in Jan so obviously hoping for the tax credit, and it's currently $990 over the $69k limit (assuming the limit is based on subtotal before destination/doc/order fees; is that accurate?)...trying to decide if I should remove white interior or wheel upgrade while I still can without incurring cost increases if the price of the car or FSD goes up....

View attachment 709551

Get in touch with your rep (assigned when you placed your order and see if you can drop FSD. It has no bearing on manufacturing as it is software only. The add FSD with your tax credit.

According to this link...

The credit provides up to $7,500 in a tax credit when you claim an EV purchase on taxes filed for the year you acquired the vehicle. So, if you bought an EV this year, in 2021, you would claim the purchase when filing your 2021 taxes next year. Not sure if they are giving an example only or if its written to be retroactive to include 2021 purchases.

• Informative
Two questions:

View attachment 709551
Probably makes more sense to remove FSD. Even if FSD increases in price, then you still get the config of the car you want and qualify for the rebate. Then just use the rebate to pay for your separate FSD purchase. Plus you'll get $10,000 plus tax in points on your credit card. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: eab6287
According to this link...

The credit provides up to $7,500 in a tax credit when you claim an EV purchase on taxes filed for the year you acquired the vehicle. So, if you bought an EV this year, in 2021, you would claim the purchase when filing your 2021 taxes next year. Not sure if they are giving an example only or if its written to be retroactive to include 2021 purchases.
Currently the wording of the legislation is not retroactive. That could change though. Previous versions were retroactive.

House Republicans are fiercely opposing a proposal that would expand electric vehicle tax credits, arguing it favors the wealthy and asks taxpayers to subsidize products they don't want.

I think it's also funny that this story came out of Detroit. Which groups of taxpayers don't want to transition from ICE to EVs?? That argument is a blanket statement that is false.

I am not sure how correct this article is but it appears that the proposed effective date is May 24, 2021... Lot of confusion on this credit..