Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to register, as I've been following this thread like a hawk for a month now.

Quick story, live in MI, ordered Memorial Day, got Vin matched yesterday. I've been waiting this long, and I think something will happen with a tax credit, that I decided to delay my order and try to take delivery in 2022. I would've been happy to take delivery over the summer, but a 4 1/2 month wait, made me figure I might as well wait 3 more months.

I figure as long as they dont put a vehicle price cap of $40k on the vehicle, I have time to figure out a way to lower my AGI and make the other rules work.

Reactions: rjpjnk
In the beginning of 2021 I thought I'd wait to see if any EV tax credit would pass before ordering but every draft, with the exception of the latest house bill, have included a price cap or income cap that would exclude me anyways. I gave up on waiting and ordered a MY in June.

House bill proposal:
  • Adjusted gross income cap: $400,000
  • Car price cap:
    • Sedans — $55,000
    • Vans — $64,000
    • SUVs — $69,000
    • Pickup trucks — $74,000
Senate bill proposal:
  • Income cap: $100,000
  • Car price cap: $40,000
I expect that if an EV tax credit does ultimately pass, it will fall somewhere in between the two proposals and will be simplified.

My guess: $150,000 income, $50,000 price caps with a flat EV tax credit of $9k for qualifying vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Decided to register, as I've been following this thread like a hawk for a month now.

Quick story, live in MI, ordered Memorial Day, got Vin matched yesterday. I've been waiting this long, and I think something will happen with a tax credit, that I decided to delay my order and try to take delivery in 2022. I would've been happy to take delivery over the summer, but a 4 1/2 month wait, made me figure I might as well wait 3 more months.

I figure as long as they dont put a vehicle price cap of $40k on the vehicle, I have time to figure out a way to lower my AGI and make the other rules work.
I would say you were being optimistic, but I thinkTwice would say you are being very very optimistic.

In the beginning of 2021 I thought I'd wait to see if any EV tax credit would pass before ordering but every draft, with the exception of the latest house bill, have included a price cap or income cap that would exclude me anyways. I gave up on waiting and ordered a MY in June.

House bill proposal:
  • Adjusted gross income cap: $400,000
  • Car price cap:
    • Sedans — $55,000
    • Vans — $64,000
    • SUVs — $69,000
    • Pickup trucks — $74,000
Senate bill proposal:
  • Income cap: $100,000
  • Car price cap: $40,000
I expect that if an EV tax credit does ultimately pass, it will fall somewhere in between the two proposals and will be simplified.

My guess: $150,000 income, $50,000 price caps with a flat EV tax credit of $9k for qualifying vehicles.
I don't know. thinkTwice would say you're being very very optimistic.

How long can I put it on hold and does that put me at the back of the line?
It doesn't put you in line at all. You'll be locked in for pricing but you won't have any place or vehicle assigned in production until you release the hold. At that point in theory you'd go to the back of the line, but like all companies Tesla produces vehicles in batches of similar types and your configuration would dictate at that point how long it is until you get the vehicle.

Reactions: samwise-g
How long can I put it on hold and does that put me at the back of the line?
In my case, I definitely wasn't sent to the back of the line after I had my order on hold for a couple weeks in August. When I put it on hold, my EDD was late October/early November. When I took it off hold, new orders were getting an estimate of January but my new EDD was late November.

While not being sent to the end of the line is good from a wait standpoint, it makes it very difficult to manage one's delivery date.

Last edited:
Reactions: samwise-g
In my case, I definitely wasn't sent to the back of the line after I had my order on hold for a couple weeks in August. When I put it on hold, my EDD was late October/early November. When I took it off hold, new orders were getting an estimate of January but my new EDD was late November.
Based on a response in another similar thread, it looks like the VIN assignment can be key....

@PNWLeccy said "I think that if anyone is thinking of putting their order on hold, they should wait until you have a VIN assigned to do it. As @SanCarlosJeff said, you can then release your assigned VIN and will be reassigned one shortly after. If you try to put an order on hold before receiving a VIN, it seems to reset your waiting period somewhat."

Another data point, I had put my order on hold Sept 20th, I had delivery scheduled for Sept 26. I may have had a vin assigned but I had never clicked the Vision agreement screen (worried this would prevent ability to hold). I had placed a 14 day hold, in order to get some clarity on this bill. Te hold expired yesterday and my EDD updated this morning. My EDD is now March 14, 2022. I have definitely been put in back of the line contrary to some reports. ODD was July 12 for reference.

Another data point, I had put my order on hold Sept 20th, I had delivery scheduled for Sept 26. I may have had a vin assigned but I had never clicked the Vision agreement screen (worried this would prevent ability to hold). I had placed a 14 day hold, in order to get some clarity on this bill. Te hold expired yesterday and my EDD updated this morning. My EDD is now March 14, 2022. I have definitely been put in back of the line contrary to some reports. ODD was July 12 for reference.
Your order isn't considered placed until you see the screen that shows tabs for "Next Steps" and "Completed Tasks". I didn't want to submit financing info for my MY only to have to redo it, which is why I placed the order in May and won't be taking delivery until November. I ended up just picking cash, and will change it later when I get a VIN.

Your order isn't considered placed until you see the screen that shows tabs for "Next Steps" and "Completed Tasks". I didn't want to submit financing info for my MY only to have to redo it, which is why I placed the order in May and won't be taking delivery until November. I ended up just picking cash, and will change it later when I get a VIN.
Yeah it was all completed, I had a VIN assigned and delivery scheduled for 26th. This was told to me on the phone but I never saw it on webpage as the Vision Agreement blocked progress.

My EDD stopped showing about 3 weeks ago. OD was 8/29. When I play with the edit on my order, it shows that if add induction wheels, my EDD says April. Is that accurate? My initial EDD was (12/13-1/7). I’m only asking in order to try and get in on the EV Tax credit.

My EDD stopped showing about 3 weeks ago. OD was 8/29. When I play with the edit on my order, it shows that if add induction wheels, my EDD says April. Is that accurate? My initial EDD was (12/13-1/7). I’m only asking in order to try and get in on the EV Tax credit.
If you change your configuration you go back to the end of the line and might pay current prices. So I've heard.