Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard rumors of potential new EV incentives at the federal and state level but can't seem to find anything concrete. I can't even remember where I saw it, but I was reading an article about this week's price increase for Model Y and the article speculated that it was because a new federal rebate of $8000 was going to come into play. The article also mentioned Illinois's EV credit.

Does anyone have more concrete information on this?

Guys, sorry if it's been answered before, I'm scared to go over of 35 pages of responses. Does anyone know if Model Y would qualify for $7500 new tax credit (if passed) based on $64,000 price tag limit for SUVs or $55,000 limit for sedans. Placed my order couple weeks ago and with white interior +1K and blue color +1K I went just above $55K price tag.

Guys, sorry if it's been answered before, I'm scared to go over of 35 pages of responses. Does anyone know if Model Y would qualify for $7500 new tax credit (if passed) based on $64,000 price tag limit for SUVs or $55,000 limit for sedans. Placed my order couple weeks ago and with white interior +1K and blue color +1K I went just above $55K price tag.
No one knows.

Wait till something passes (hopefully end of this month, <holding breath>), until then the specifics have not been set in stone so no one knows, AND that's assuming something actually passes.

Where did that rumor come from? Are you thinking if legislation does pass it'd be based on model year, not year purchased? I believe 2022's are going to be November based on my research.
Respectfully, I don't believe legislation will be based on model year (never done that way, too complicated, especially with Teslas, etc.); it will be based on purchase date or year.

I've seen May 24 2021 as a retroactive purchase date for prospective tax credit. Surprised to read some people think it won't be the case. While I'll still enjoy my Model Y, $7500 would be a cherry on top.
There is no way it will be retroactive. It's meant to be an incentive for people to buy and not a reward for people that have already made the purchase. It would make no sense to apply this retroactively... sorry. Plus the current proposal (which starts 1/22) is likely to get scaled back even more if not cut all together.