Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For would-be Tesla buyers, EV incentives are unnecessary...
I look at it this way, the tax credits are an incentive to buy an EV. Why should someone who chooses a Tesla not get the same consideration and assistance for the cost?. It should not favor purchase from one manufacture or another. Remember that it is a benefit paid to the buyer encouraging their "green" choice.

I look at it this way, the tax credits are an incentive to buy an EV. Why should someone who chooses a Tesla not get the same consideration and assistance for the cost?. It should not favor purchase from one manufacture or another. Remember that it is a benefit paid to the buyer encouraging their "green" choice.
I'm generally not in favor of the government providing individuals direct incentives that aren't directly tied to providing people food, medical, or shelter necessities but that is ofc my personal political bias. We'd be far better off stimulating cleaner energy production, investing in the grid infrastructure that's severely atrophied and fallen behind in large portions of the country, than giving Tesla owners 7500 back for a car they'll buy anyhow. But people like money so here is how it breaks down in my mind:

Hand-up = in this context, incentive for people that would otherwise buy a gasser (usually because of budget constraints) to get on the green bandwagon. It's not cheap being green, therefore IMO it's somewhat rational to target lower priced vehicles and even using "means tested" as an accellerant to EV adoption for larger segments of the population.

Hand-out = in this context, you're really not influencing "gasser vs EV". Tesla buyers are generally well heeled financially, and would buy the vehicle anyhow.

Of course it's far simpler and a more populist approach for lawmakers to sprinkle money from the sky on everyone, but equating that with really moving the needle on EV adoption and a cleaner energy future is a bit of a specious argument IMHO.

Last edited:
I'm generally not in favor of the government providing individuals direct incentives that aren't directly tied to providing people food, medical, or shelter necessities but that is ofc my personal political bias. We'd be far better off stimulating cleaner energy production, investing in the grid infrastructure that's severely atrophied and fallen behind in large portions of the country, than giving Tesla owners 7500 back for a car they'll buy anyhow. But people like money so here is how it breaks down in my mind:

Hand-up = in this context, incentive for people that would otherwise buy a gasser (usually because of budget constraints) to get on the green bandwagon. It's not cheap being green, therefore IMO it's somewhat rational to target lower priced vehicles and even using "means tested" as an accellerant to EV adoption for larger segments of the population.

Hand-out = in this context, you're really not influencing "gasser vs EV". Tesla buyers are generally well heeled financially, and would buy the vehicle anyhow.

Of course it's far simpler and a more populist approach for lawmakers to sprinkle money from the sky on everyone, but equating that with really moving the needle on EV adoption and a cleaner energy future is a bit of a specious argument IMHO.
you're absolutely not wrong on any of your opinions but the Unions and their political lackeys want to sprinkle money from the clouds.
Because 'it's doing something', it 'saves Union jobs', and it's.......FREEEEEEEE. Right....
And once a subsidy gains traction, Congress NEVER kills it. Witness methanol - we're eating gasoline additives now. Oh, my bad, using our food sources to make additives.

The time for EV subsidies should be over since in reality the tipping point is passed..... but not for the Legacy automakers as yet.
So expect more taxes to pay for more subsidies.
And expect a rise in electricity rates to cover the politically-imposed solar energy buybacks from homeowners, along with weak infrastructure improvement costs.

BTW, all the subsidy programs are really a backdoor TAX on the lower income strata of society. They get all the costs but few if any benefits.

Reactions: mrwug
Assuming this article is up to date (tax credits dropping by $3500 in 2027 seems to be new, possibly to cut the size of the bill), looks like union $4500 still there, the insultingly low $500 for US made vehicles is still there, we don't know if there is a downward adjustment on income limit from where it was in Sept (to cut the size of the bill/improve optics).

• Informative
Reactions: Corndart
Assuming this article is up to date (tax credits dropping by $3500 in 2027 seems to be new, possibly to cut the size of the bill), looks like union $4500 still there, the insultingly low $500 for US made vehicles is still there, we don't know if there is a downward adjustment on income limit from where it was in Sept (to cut the size of the bill/improve optics).

This is too vague to be super useful.

Doesn’t even cover what an EV is or list minimum battery sizes which the legislation does cover. If you read this faulty basic text, PHEVs get the full $12,500 which is truly insane.

Reactions: cusetownusa

Internet clickbait / blabber.
There is no legislation even CLOSE to getting dome on the subject. It will ALL be different.
The only beneficiary is the OP, which gets to monetize the post.

• Disagree
Reactions: Corndart
Internet clickbait / blabber.
There is no legislation even CLOSE to getting dome on the subject. It will ALL be different.
The only beneficiary is the OP, which gets to monetize the post.
Did you even look at the linked jct.gov page? Are you following current events on how close they are to an infrastructure bill?

The major sticking point seems to be taxing the uber wealthy, which is mind boggling to me how anyone can oppose unless they're beholden to special interests, but there is a line item for EV credits that is quite miniscule in the overall scope of the budget proposal.

Did you even look at the linked jct.gov page? Are you following current events on how close they are to an infrastructure bill?

The major sticking point seems to be taxing the uber wealthy, which is mind boggling to me how anyone can oppose unless they're behold to special interests, but there is a line item for EV credits that is quite miniscule in the overall scope of the budget proposal.
There are so many sticking points, they change daily.
Yeah, I follow the legislation every day in the WSJ.
You should ignore MSM, they are in it for the clickbait monetizing alone.

WHEN and IF any subsidies survive the legislative process, we will be immediately informed by every Media outlet on the planet.
Until then, it's ALL IN PLAY.
Don't waste your time trying to follow a bouncing ball down the rabbit hole.

I'm about to hit month 3 of my MYP order, still no delivery date in sight. So if something passes, might as well wait another month or so to get the credit. Or I have a LR on order that says March/April delivery... I could just cancel the Performance and save even more.

WHEN and IF any subsidies survive the legislative process, we will be immediately informed by every Media outlet on the planet.
What is MSM? Lots of unnecessary caps...

Let me get this straight. You follow the legislation every day in WSJ. But we should just sit tight, ignore work in progress, and wait until final product. What makes you you and us us?