Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me get this straight. You follow the legislation every day in WSJ. But we should just sit tight, ignore work in progress, and wait until final product. What makes you you and us us?
Ignore the internet nonsense, as I ignore the WSJ reporting of all the minutiae.
It's all inside baseball and gossip until Votes are conducted by the House, the Senate, and signed by the President.
Even then, it can be quite a while until it becomes reality.
You can't plan around any of it.

So how is one wholly speculative article justification for any of the posts in this thread?

Reactions: cusetownusa
Whether Model Y tax credits return or not is a policy decision made by politicians.

You can’t separate the two.
1. The facts about the status of the pending bills and what they factually include or do not include.

2. A debate, or sharing opinions, on whether the bills should include one thing or another.

The debate can go in the policy forum (or in communications to your congress members).

The sharing of factual information, or even informed speculation, is appropriate under this thread title.

Current framework details released this morning:. EV credit remains.

Current framework details released this morning:. EV credit remains.

The wording makes it sound like the new rebate is for union made vehicles only (though that is unlikely to be the case). Also “middle class families” hints at an income limit substantially lower than what was in Sept discussions.

The wording makes it sound like the new rebate is for union made vehicles only (though that is unlikely to be the case). Also “middle class families” hints at an income limit substantially lower than what was in Sept discussions.
Although not all the legislative details are worked out, this framework supposedly has the support of all 50 Senators that are Dems (or caucus with them). This provides a degree of optimism that it may actually pass through reconciliation, and may also get support from house progressives. Hopeful!

"the framework’s electric vehicle tax credit will lower the cost of an electric vehicle that is made in America with American materials and union labor by $12,500 for a middle-class family."

Sounds like what the House Ways and Means Committee reported out last month. The provisions were written based on the idea of no new taxes for anyone making $400k or less. That's why the income caps were proposed that way in the House.

"the framework’s electric vehicle tax credit will lower the cost of an electric vehicle that is made in America with American materials and union labor by $12,500 for a middle-class family."

Sounds like what the House Ways and Means Committee reported out last month. The provisions were written based on the idea of no new taxes for anyone making $400k or less. That's why the income caps were proposed that way in the House.
for vehicles delivered may 24th 2021- current?

Specific wording for EVs from the White House. Note until it’s in writing firm Congress it doesn’t mean much.

Specifically, the Build Back Better framework will:

• Deliver substantial consumer rebates and ensure middle class families save money as they shift to clean energy and electrification. The consumer rebates and credits included in the Build Back Better framework will save the average American family hundreds of dollars per year in energy costs. These measures include enhancement and expansion of existing home energy and efficiency tax credits, as well as the creation of a new, electrification-focused rebate program. The framework will cut the cost of installing rooftop solar for a home by around 30 percent, shortening the payback period by around 5 years; and the framework’s electric vehicle tax credit will lower the cost of an electric vehicle that is made in America with American materials and union labor by $12,500 for a middle-class family. In addition, the framework will help rural communities tap into the clean energy opportunity through targeted grants and loans through the Department of Agriculture.

This part bothers me :mad:

Why can't I claim the EV tax credit for my Tesla?​

Tesla is by far the largest EV maker in the US today. However, those who purchase an EV from the automaker will not be eligible to claim the car on their taxes. That's because the current law for the credits phases them out after a particular automaker sells over 200,000 qualifying vehicles. In Tesla's case, it sold its last qualifying vehicle back in 2019, leaving no additional tax credits to take advantage of. The same goes for General Motors. A Chevy, GMC, Buick or Cadillac EV is not eligible for the EV tax credit as of today. The automakers continue to lobby for new legislation to make credits available to them once again.

Tesla is by far the largest EV maker in the US today. However, those who purchase an EV from the automaker will not be eligible to claim the car on their taxes. That's because the current law for the credits phases them out after a particular automaker sells over 200,000 qualifying vehicles. In Tesla's case, it sold its last qualifying vehicle back in 2019, leaving no additional tax credits to take advantage of. The same goes for General Motors. A Chevy, GMC, Buick or Cadillac EV is not eligible for the EV tax credit as of today. The automakers continue to lobby for new legislation to make credits available to them once again.
I believe that references the current tax incentives which would run through this calendar year. If the BBB plan is taking the suggested legislation from the House then the caps are raised on Jan 1 2022.

I wouldn't read into that too much. Articles like that are written for SEO purposes. That's just the correct state of the tax credit for Tesla. Not the new legislation