Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Outside of sales lost, does adding FSD or discounting it cost Tesla any extra money? Sounds like software that Tesla basically needs to install/activate in the car? Offering self driving at $2k might actually make them money. If it costs them nothing, assuming less than 1 in 5 Tesla owners have FSD, they'd stand to gain. Again, this is under the assumption that it doesn't cost them money to activate it.
They've said before that Autopilot will always be free because it's a safety feature. I believe Elon said it himself

There are costs associated with it, R&D and people costs. The OTA updates doesn’t just happen, there are significant changes and will continue so.
As far as margins, who knows, but the point is that FSD isn’t something that cost Tesla nothing.
I'm not saying that FSD isn't insanely expensive to produce. I'm saying that there is a short window of 2 months that they are going to need to do something to entice users to take delivery before the tax credit comes into effect.

I don't know the ratio of users that buy FSD vs not, but I don't think that over 20% of users purchase FSD. If Tesla would offer $2,000 FSD to buyers that are forgoing the tax credit, they might actually be making MORE money than they would have after the credit. Tesla would be pocketing an extra $2,000 from each buyer for taking delivery early, money that they would more than likely not be making from those same customers after 1/1/22.

I'm not saying that FSD isn't insanely expensive to produce. I'm saying that there is a short window of 2 months that they are going to need to do something to entice users to take delivery before the tax credit comes into effect.

I don't know the ratio of users that buy FSD vs not, but I don't think that over 20% of users purchase FSD. If Tesla would offer $2,000 FSD to buyers that are forgoing the tax credit, they might actually be making MORE money than they would have after the credit. Tesla would be pocketing an extra $2,000 from each buyer for taking delivery early, money that they would more than likely not be making from those same customers after 1/1/22.
I don’t recall where I saw it but I remember a graph that showed % of buyers who get FSD. It used to be really high. Like 80% and steadily went down as prices increased. I think the latest was about 10%. I could be misremembering though.

I have it on my MY and wouldn't buy it again. I'd want enhanced AP for the lane change, but the rest is much less important. The city driving beta has been teased for 1.5 years, and now to get it, you have to have a 99 or 100 safety score. It is literally impossible for me to get that score because FSD cannot handle merging when traffic is tight, and it dings me as soon as I take over to merge. Frustrating for sure.

This is the only logical thing that Tesla can do to incentivize US buyers from not delaying delivery without costing the company any money. Free supercharging has a direct cost to the company so they won’t do that. Most buyers probably wouldn’t be buying FSD anyway so this way they pocket an extra $2k from buyers who wouldn’t have purchased it in the first place.
Not only does it minimize the direct cost, it's also the only thing they could throw in with enough perceived value to the consumer to tempt them to forgo the proposed tax credit. As someone with a wall charger in my house, I'd be utterly shocked if I used $5k of Supercharging over the life of the car.

Reactions: Viv1984
Not only does it minimize the direct cost, it's also the only thing they could throw in with enough perceived value to the consumer to tempt them to forgo the proposed tax credit. As someone with a wall charger in my house, I'd be utterly shocked if I used $5k of Supercharging over the life of the car.
I was trying to calculate how much I'll use even over estimating my drive and how often I'll charge (100 trips, $2.50/trip) that'll take longer than I've ever kept a car to make a difference.

Free/reduced FSD, free enhanced auto pilot, or something else like PPF... I'm definitely taking delivery. If there is nothing, I'm torn. My car's value will depreciate and I may lose the local credit I'm getting.

I have it on my MY and wouldn't buy it again. I'd want enhanced AP for the lane change, but the rest is much less important. The city driving beta has been teased for 1.5 years, and now to get it, you have to have a 99 or 100 safety score. It is literally impossible for me to get that score because FSD cannot handle merging when traffic is tight, and it dings me as soon as I take over to merge. Frustrating for sure.
I got 100 and the beta. I have to disengage every few minutes around my town and take over from situations that may harm my car (curbing wheels) or my family (running off road, roundabouts, etc.) and piss off other drivers (stopping 30 feet in front of a stop light, waiting to turn left across traffic, etc.). If you like trying out new things, being a beta tester and sharing information all while paying Tesla 200 per month, this is for you. I opted out, though I appreciate those that are willing to put in the work and manage the work / stress.

• Helpful
Reactions: ishareit
It's my understanding that it was funded again last month...
Beginning 11/2/21 it restarts in California ..... sort of.
Maximum for a Tesla has been reduced to $750 from $1500 for any vehicle purchased after 11/1/21.
For vehicles purchased before 11/1, the $1500 maximum remains valid.

However, there is currently no statement regarding all the applications submitted earlier in the year, how much funding is available, whether it's sufficient to cover all prior PLUS all NEW applications, etc etc.

There is also no statement regarding when funding will be applied and paid. "See Your Retailer" is all that's noted.

I'm sure people can't wait to visit the DMV for a payment. ;-)

Dumb questions time. If the new ev tax credit comes through, my delivery date is 11/22 - 12/20. If I'm notified of delivery after 12/1, I think I have 30 days to accept, which would put me in Jan. If they notify in Nov I have to put on hold and then am subject to price increases and if course delays. (unless they are willing to work with me) .. Is this all correct?

Dumb questions time. If the new ev tax credit comes through, my delivery date is 11/22 - 12/20. If I'm notified of delivery after 12/1, I think I have 30 days to accept, which would put me in Jan. If they notify in Nov I have to put on hold and then am subject to price increases and if course delays. (unless they are willing to work with me) .. Is this all correct?
Putting your order on hold does not subject you to price changes, the order is still locked in unless you make configuration changes (color, wheels, etc)

When you come of hold, I assume you're at the back of the line?
There is some mixed information about this - I have seen some report that if you get a VIN assigned and and then go on hold, once you remove the hold you will be assigned the next available match (~2-3 weeks). This happened to me when my hold automatically expired in September. If you don't get assigned a VIN and place a hold earlier in the process, you may be at the back of the line when you remove it.