Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I received an email threatening cancellation if they don't hear from me by 11/16. This is further proof to me that they are just stumbling forward as I have a hold until 12/1. I emailed this info back to them, since they can't see it. o_O
I received exactly the same email this morning.
I'm going to figure out if I want to get back in the queue, or explicitly wait for clarifying legislation and risk cancellation.
And it may not hurt me if I can sell the car for more than I pay, then get back in line. I can wait.

I think the email is a direct indication that they know there's a looming problem with deliveries in December and maybe November as well.
But they made the Hold rules..... yet it's Tesla, rules change to suit them.

Reactions: Noflash
This bill might get stripped down now with the way the elections are looking in VA and NJ. I am not sure if moderate D's will want to get associated with EV tax credits now.
Unions want it. Unions funded Biden and a host of other D's in the House and Senate.
Climate activists want it. They want anything pitched as saving the planet, particularly if they see it in their own pocketbooks.

It's all subject to change, big time. But I believe it's likely to survive in some form.
So does Tesla and other EV manufacturers that raised their prices in anticipation of tax credits/rebates.

This bill might get stripped down now with the way the elections are looking in VA and NJ. I am not sure if moderate D's will want to get associated with EV tax credits now.
I bet the opposite. If Democrats want to survive the midterms next year, this will strengthen their resolve that they need to pass something big. Of course the Senators from WV and AZ may still disagree.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
I bet the opposite. If Democrats want to survive the midterms next year, this will strengthen their resolve that they need to pass something big. Of course the Senators from WV and AZ may still disagree.
West Virginia is coal country. That's why Manchin wanted wanted a lot of the clean energy provisions removed, but the EV credit remained. More EVs in West Virginia = more coal used.

Reactions: jawnly211
West Virginia is coal country. That's why Manchin wanted wanted a lot of the clean energy provisions removed, but the EV credit remained. More EVs in West Virginia = more coal used.
I believe Manchin is a bit more principled than that. He definitely wants to preserve jobs in WV, and that includes coal.
BTW China buys half the coal the USA produces, and will continue to as they're building many more coal-fired electrical energy plants currently, despite their 'Climate Change' promises.
So WV is gonna sell more coal regardless. It just won't go to US plants.

But I'm inclined to believe Manchin when he says it's the larger issues of misleading the public and driving the Nation into unsustainable debts that are informing his stance.
Note that CNN and other MSM would be shouting on the rooftops if people in WV were complaining. They are not.

BBB polls well in WV and the benefits fairly popular. It's ironic as Manchin's constituents would benefit greatly and he's killing off things that will help.

Joe votes against anything that hurts his wallet like energy and prescription drugs. He also loves getting TV time. So this is the perfect storm of him continuing to obstruct.

I've lived in WV since 2003 with Joe Manchin as Governor and now Senator. It's always the same.

Reactions: torifile
BBB polls well in WV and the benefits fairly popular. It's ironic as Manchin's constituents would benefit greatly and he's killing off things that will help.

Joe votes against anything that hurts his wallet like energy and prescription drugs. He also loves getting TV time. So this is the perfect storm of him continuing to obstruct.

I've lived in WV since 2003 with Joe Manchin as Governor and now Senator. It's always the same.
Yet somehow he gets re-elected, time and again.
Seems yours is the minority opinion.

They are complaining as sticking to coal is making their energy very expensive.
Since www.cnn.com is the only MSM outlet promoting this idea, it would seem to be a manufactured news line.
Cherry-picked 'people are saying' (well, what people?).

Since www.cnn.com is the only MSM outlet promoting this idea, it would seem to be a manufactured news line.
Cherry-picked 'people are saying' (well, what people?).

A quick google of "west virginia coal getting more expensive" brings back several hits. Yes it's the CNN post, which is always going to be left-leaning. But there are several others on the first page alone, all with late October 2021 publication dates, and most with similar stories of increasing spending on coal power plant upgrades, and how that's being passed along to the end user.
Here's another one from Forbes:

Reactions: samwise-g
A quick google of "west virginia coal getting more expensive" brings back several hits. Yes it's the CNN post, which is always going to be left-leaning. But there are several others on the first page alone, all with late October 2021 publication dates, and most with similar stories of increasing spending on coal power plant upgrades, and how that's being passed along to the end user.
Here's another one from Forbes:
Fricken Manchin...what a whore to the fossil fuel industry. This part sums it up perfectly...

“This is not just hurting West Virginia, it is sinking the whole climate agreement and our ability to reduce CO2 emissions. He’s trapped by a handful of coal-burning utilities and it has global implications. It is shameful.”

Reactions: Noflash
Fricken Manchin...what a whore to the fossil fuel industry. This part sums it up perfectly...

“This is not just hurting West Virginia, it is sinking the whole climate agreement and our ability to reduce CO2 emissions. He’s trapped by a handful of coal-burning utilities and it has global implications. It is shameful.”
Agreed, but he also sees the danger or those bills that will cause unsustainable budget deficit if not addressed carefully. Those bills as written are dangerous and irresponsible, and we (the people) will be the only ones who will suffer, not the politician, not the elites.

Agreed, but he also sees the danger or those bills that will cause unsustainable budget deficit if not addressed carefully. Those bills as written are dangerous and irresponsible, and we (the people) will be the only ones who will suffer, not the politician, not the elites.

Folks like me have been harping against budget deficits for more than decade but has any administration listened? No. The last admin bloated it with corporate tax cuts that just went to buying back shares (doh - who couldn't have foreseen that). This bill isn't any different. The last time we had a budget surplus was in 2001 - and that surplus wasn't used to pay down the debt.

• Love
Reactions: k.alexander