Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I think about it, if they don't get the union $$$ added, there's not a ton of benefit (from a Congressional standpoint) to get an EV deal done this year. Other than GM & Tesla, everyone else is currently eligible for the $7,500 tax credit. In that light, I could see them sacrificing the EV upgrades for now. OTOH, they might also sell it as having limited increased cost--at least in the early years--and manage to keep it.
I think what "Unclepaul" said has some weight on this matter. If they don't pass the new bill, the Chinese EV's would continue to benefit from current $7.5K credit possibly "getting a beach head in USA."

Reactions: cusetownusa
From what I can see, the EV Tax Credit has little to do with the environment and everything to do with protecting aganist the pending hordes of Chinese EVs from getting a beach head in USA.
According to Sandy Monro, there are lots of Chinese EVs in their pipeline, and they are wanting to take over the US market soon.
Purpose of the EV Tax Credit is to get US producers a leg up in getting their own production up to speed. The Tax Credit will incentivize them to build additional factories with US workers. Government wants to stop companies like Ford from going to cheaper Mexico to build their cars while unemployment is such a problem in the US.

The Union carve out is simply pandering to US Unions that give over 95% of their campaign donations to Democrat candidates.
Cheap imports would still qualify for $7500 incentive so the only aspects that provide incentives for US-first production would be the $4500 union labor and US made $500 battery credit. So no, I don't agree with the conclusion "everything to do with protection against the pending hordes of Chinese EV's". Those imports will still come, incentives or not, and start carving out the bottom end of the market until Tesla or another US based company starts producing cars that go after that segment in sufficient quantity.

• Disagree
Reactions: mwdietertg
Cheap imports would still qualify for $7500 incentive so the only aspects that provide incentives for US-first production would be the $4500 union labor and US made $500 battery credit. So no, I don't agree with the conclusion "everything to do with protection against the pending hordes of Chinese EV's". Those imports will still come, incentives or not, and start carving out the bottom end of the market until Tesla or another US based company starts producing cars that go after that segment in sufficient quantity.
The pending legislation would exclude all Chinese EV's from receiving incentives.

I am of the understanding that $7500 will be retroactive (due to the 200,000 vehicle cap being removed from the old EV credit) but additional bonus credits are not.
I think this is called wishful thinking. The cap is removed the same day the new policy replaces the old one, I see no any reason for the lawmakers to look backward.

I think this is called wishful thinking. The cap is removed the same day the new policy replaces the old one, I see no any reason for the lawmakers to look backward.

I agree. Until the old credit is officially sunset there is no reason to do a look back. Jan 1 2022 would be a clear time for that to happen as the tax year is over and the old can be sunset and the new enacted for 2022. No since is complicating the current tax year for people that knowingly bought an EV that was elegible or not based on the current incentive.

The pending legislation would exclude all Chinese EV's from receiving incentives.
First I've seen that explicitly mentioned. There are proposals and permutations which include additional incentives for US made / union made aspects. but the base 7500 is maintained, irrespective of where it's manufactured.

[EDIT] NM I see it here in the Forbes article, good catch!

11. Chinese made EVs would be ineligible for the tax credit.

Senator John Cornyn, the Republican Senator from Texas, introduced an amendment (p. 55) that excluded Chinese produced EVs from the tax credit. In a rare move of bipartisanship, this amendment was passed unanimously.

First I've seen that explicitly mentioned. There are proposals and permutations which include additional incentives for US made / union made aspects. but the base 7500 is maintained, irrespective of where it's manufactured.

Senator John Cornyn, the Republican Senator from Texas, introduced an amendment (p. 55) that excluded Chinese produced EVs from the tax credit. In a rare move of bipartisanship, this amendment was passed unanimously.
Wow...first I have heard of that as well. I am assuming, if passed, this could cause some of the Chinese EV companies to build factories in the US.

Reactions: Corndart

I googled it for you --> Latest on Tesla EV Tax Credit (November 2021) - Current and Upcoming in 2022

They just need to purchase Polestar 2 in 2021 and it's good! Assuming the new bill gets passed...
Is the current proposed legislation written to replace existing legislation or does the old 200k per manufacturer regime continue until each manufacturer exhausts their 200k? i.e., Do people who would have qualified for the credit in 2021 suddenly find themselves excluded because the vehicle they are considering is above the MSRP limit or their income is above the AGI limit?

I googled it for you --> Latest on Tesla EV Tax Credit (November 2021) - Current and Upcoming in 2022
Yes, I did update my post, super interesting and I'm surely widely supported. Let the EV trade wars begin!

Reactions: Sexy_owner
Is the current proposed legislation written to replace existing legislation or does the old 200k per manufacturer regime continue until each manufacturer exhausts their 200k? i.e., Do people who would have qualified for the credit in 2021 suddenly find themselves excluded because the vehicle they are considering is above the MSRP limit or their income is above the AGI limit?
Yes, the pending legislation would replace the old one and remove 200k cap.

• Helpful
Reactions: leaftoy
I think what "Unclepaul" said has some weight on this matter. If they don't pass the new bill, the Chinese EV's would continue to benefit from current $7.5K credit possibly "getting a beach head in USA."
Chinese vehicles will arguably gain more by removing the cap than US automakers stand to gain by a US-made tax credit that, at best, will lead to issues with trade agreements and, at worst, be nullified in order to comply with those agreements. The Chinese have always been willing to cut prices to undercut competition (and drive them out of business). Why should they do any differently with EVs?

Chinese vehicles will arguably gain more by removing the cap than US automakers stand to gain by a US-made tax credit that, at best, will lead to issues with trade agreements and, at worst, be nullified in order to comply with those agreements. The Chinese have always been willing to cut prices to undercut competition (and drive them out of business). Why should they do any differently with EVs?
If I had to choose between $25000 Tesla 2 and $25000 Chinese EV, I would go with Tesla 2, Thank you!

No Senate bill or amendment has any standing if the House passes the BBB boondoggle and sends it to the Senate for consideration under Reconciliation. Only amendments to that bill matter, and there is no current China exclusion in the House bill. If the Senate had passed their own bill, which they didn't, there would be a Conference Committee to deal with the difference, amendments to a bill under discussion have zero standing if the Bill isn't passed. In fact, a Senate bill never would have gone to a vote because of the filibuster.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
So this bill will harm the williness of anyone/family above the income limit to choose an EV. Once someone purchase the EV without getting the tax credit, then the net resale value will decline sharply. Especially this person would not consider the cheaper EV, since the majority of the buyers would get the tax incentive on a new EV.