Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla existing inventory and FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DR: Tesla can and will remove FSD from their used inventory cars if you call and ask.

I recently ordered a new model 3LR and have been waiting with everyone else for delivery in June. However I like checking tesla's used inventory in my area to see if anything good is available. I'm sure many of you have noticed that their used inventory includes the price for FSD and there is a lot of speculation as to whether you can get this option removed from a used tesla.

Well two nights ago I saw a red 2021 M3P on there that was used as a demo car for tesla for a slightly discounted price, but it had the FSD price tag. I had had a few drinks earlier and impulsively hit buy and paid the $100 order fee for it. However I didn't want FSD on it. So yesterday I called up the tesla sales team and asked if they are able to remove the FSD from the car and take $10,000 off the price tag since it's just software and would be easy enough to remove and they told me no it was not possible. So I asked if I could just cancel the order because I really didn't want FSD and I was ok having wasted $100 on a stupid impulse buy and waiting for my car due in June. After I asked to cancel the order he said he was going to talk to his supervisor to see if there was anything they could do, and he had good news for me! They CAN remove FSD off of their used inventory. So if you're looking to buy used but don't want to pay the FSD price tag, spend the $100 fee to order it and then ask. If they give you a hard time, ask to cancel and you should get what you want.

So now I'm expecting delivery of my M3P this week instead of waiting until mid-late June for a M3LR! Very happy with my decision. Just thought I'd share my experience with this and I hope it helps some of you who may also want to do this.

• Informative
Reactions: TechOps and DanCar
If the order fee was $100 then you must be talking about a NEW/untitled car used as a demo and not a used/titled car. A used car would have a $500 order deposit. As far as new/demo cars go, Tesla has always been willing to remove FSD. Used inventory was less certain but at least within the past year or so, they've been willing to remove it on those as well. They also don't automatically add FSD on (eligible) used cars like they used to. However, right now with chip shortage and other factors, the used car market is a bit crazy and has become more of a seller's market.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I agree with @CapeOne on this. This was an existing inventory car (as the thread title says) but it is likely being sold as NEW (title) so yeah they will remove FSD from a car with a new title.

Whether they will do it from a used car remains to be seen. Thats likely why they had to check with the supervisor, because I think tesla will not remove FSD from a used car, but new vs used is a legal definition and is not necessarily related to whether the car has miles on it or not.

TL ; DR. OP you have confirmed that you can buy a demo car that is being sold as new can have FSD removed from it, this doesnt have anything to do with used cars having it removed, which even if they will do that, it likely wont be a 10k reduction in price.