Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla experience was great until I ordered a car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll try to extrapolate my experience to non-Tesla products for the sake of the argument:
How quick would you return or request a replacement for a TV that would turn on 50% of the time when you press the remote?
How quick would you give up on a refrigerator that you had use of for about 1/3 of your total ownership time and was otherwise constantly in for repairs? Would the spoiled food and all other consequences of its lack of availability be acceptable to you? Would you take a rental refrigerator or perhaps use the spare one in the garage and be ok with that?
Would you comfortably ride a bike (an expensive one at that) that had creaking struts and half-dangling brake calipers?

I could go on all day ...

I'll bite on the TV analogy.

You bought a 4K TV, OOOOHHHH, 4K....amazing feature.....

You can get 4K from Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Blu-rays. So you've overpaid for a feature with limited functionality......do you curse out Samsung?

You get mad at the lack of functionality on a Tesla that was promised, but is being held back by people outside of Tesla......why does Samsung get a free pass, but Tesla gets cursed out?

You can still watch TV. You can still drive your Tesla (it just can't drive you).

I'll bite on the TV analogy.

You bought a 4K TV, OOOOHHHH, 4K....amazing feature.....

You can get 4K from Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Blu-rays. So you've overpaid for a feature with limited functionality......do you curse out Samsung?

You get mad at the lack of functionality on a Tesla that was promised, but is being held back by people outside of Tesla......why does Samsung get a free pass, but Tesla gets cursed out?

You can still watch TV. You can still drive your Tesla (it just can't drive you).

You missed my point. It's not the lack of functionality that I see as an issue (or at least not as a deal breaker at this point in the development of this new type of vehicle). It's the fact that the existing functionality (especially that of the basic variety) works so poorly at times.

Keeping with the analogy, yes, I do overpay for cool functionality, and happily so. My house is obscenely littered with OLEDs and plasmas and I love them all. They all work properly though, just as intended. The most fantastic OLED panel will not allow you to enjoy it if it cuts out halfway through a movie and otherwise flickers every 20 seconds.

You missed my point. It's not the lack of functionality that I see as an issue (or at least not as a deal breaker at this point in the development of this new type of vehicle). It's the fact that the existing functionality (especially that of the basic variety) works so poorly at times.

Keeping with the analogy, yes, I do overpay for cool functionality, and happily so. My house is obscenely littered with OLEDs and plasmas and I love them all. They all work properly though, just as intended. The most fantastic OLED panel will not allow you to enjoy it if it cuts out halfway through a movie and otherwise flickers every 20 seconds.

Sounds like you researched your TVs and knew when to jump in on the technology and get the maximum enjoyment out of it.

And on the car, it sounds like....your approach was different.