Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla - Extended Order Status v0.2 [user developed chrome extension]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've ordered my M3 LR AWD for a couple of weeks now and I found myself refreshing the order page and looking in the source code for the VIN ever since. Given that I am a developer as my full time job, I thought about ways to automate it and make it easier to check for the VIN. I saw that there is a VIN bookmark thingy, but the downside of that is that it's still 1 extra click to get the info, whereas this solution adds the information on the page directly.

Therefore I created a Chrome Extension that can be installed on your browser which adds more information about the order on the page of your order (check the attached image or the extension link). Right now everything is in english only and it has this functionality:
  • Shows the VIN, if one, from the source code. Technically, it looks at the Tesla.ProductF.Data.Vin property
  • Shows the previously assigned VINs, if any. This is due to some people complaining that they once saw the VIN, and all of a sudden it disappeared. Technically, it creates a localStorage entry (on your machine only) and stores the VINs there.
There are many other data points in the Tesla.ProductF object, so I am open to ideas and suggestions as how to enrich the functionality. I also want to highlight that the extension is approved by the Google Extensions Team and it is GDPR compliant. The data is only read from your tesla object and shown on your order page.

Link to the extension: Tesla - Extended Order Status

I only tested it with my order, so if you see something misbehaving, you can reply here or contact me via DM. Also, this solution should work on orders of all Teslas (S, 3, X, Y), so I'm not sure this is the best part of the forum to add the post.

Please let me know what you think :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-02 at 21.30.30.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-02 at 21.30.30.png
    137.5 KB · Views: 1,668
It looks like I can't edit my post, so I'll just keep this reply for the installation instructions and potential changelog updates.

Installation instructions:

1. Install the extension with the link provided in the main post
2. Visit your tesla's order page (/teslaaccount/profile?rn=RNXXXXXXX)

You should be able to see the extra information at the top of the page :)

Update to v0.2

- Shows the current date of delivery, if one
- Shows the previous dates of delivery, if any
- Visually improved the styling and structure of the data

Update to v0.2.1

- bugfix: showing real delivery date, if one, instead of the estimated date (thank you @ChrisSFoot for providing valuable data)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work! I like how it will keep a log of the assigned VINs - cool feature.

It's completely unnecessary, but I've been keeping track of the various delivery estimate dates as they change, offline. Perhaps an enhancement to automatically keep a log of these would be helpful? Or maybe it's just me 😅

It looks like I can't edit my post, so I'll just keep this reply for the installation instructions and potential changelog updates.

Installation instructions:

1. Install the extension with the link provided in the main post
2. Visit your tesla's order page (/teslaaccount/profile?rn=RNXXXXXXX)

You should be able to see the extra information at the top of the page :)

(moderator note: Welcome to TMC, and thanks for sharing your work with the community. You wont be able to update the second post in this thread either because of the way the forum software works, however, if you have updates you would like to add to that post please send them to me via PM and I can add it to that post for you. For example, further changelog info, or installation info you want to pass on that needs to be seen at the beginning of this thread, etc).

Reactions: S.Lav
Update to v0.2

- Shows the current date of delivery, if one
- Shows the previous dates of delivery, if any
- Visually improved the styling and structure of the data

New image with the version 0.2 attached
I got very excited navigating to the page this morning and noticing a change, i thought I had a VIN but it ended up being the new layout.

The new look is great and adding Delivery date tracking is fantastic. Thank you!

I've tried the extension and I like where you're going with it! It doesn't work very well for me though, I have a delivery appointment of May 21st and found my VIN in the final invoice document, however, the extension says no vin assigned and delivery in June

I've tried the extension and I like where you're going with it! It doesn't work very well for me though, I have a delivery appointment of May 21st and found my VIN in the final invoice document, however, the extension says no vin assigned and delivery in June
Hi Chris, thank you for trying it out! And this is exactly why I posted the topic here, hoping people with different data than me would reply. It would be fantastic if you were open to share the data object with me via PM, so that we can compare what you have and what I have.

Unfortunately, I forsee this happening more times in the future as I don't know their API data shape, therefore I don't know how the data behaves in different situations.

Hi Chris, thank you for trying it out! And this is exactly why I posted the topic here, hoping people with different data than me would reply. It would be fantastic if you were open to share the data object with me via PM, so that we can compare what you have and what I have.

Unfortunately, I forsee this happening more times in the future as I don't know their API data shape, therefore I don't know how the data behaves in different situations.
No worries, I've sent you my data for you to peruse. It's a pretty complicated Json object eh!

Oh, dude, you rock. One feature request: Is there a way for you to

A) show the latest information it has within the component without us having to navigate?
B) Refresh it asynchronously (or in the background, say once a day?)... I suspect that this will work only while the user's login session is active, but you can always show an alert when that expired? If most folks here are like me, we refresh *many* times a day :)

Thanks again!!!