Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Extended warranty (Helvetia) when car *not* bought from new

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Looking at the warranty small print 10. EWI Limitations and Exclusions

Vehicles that were not purchased directly from Tesla accompanied by a New Vehicle Limited Warranty, or vehicles that have been labeled or branded as dismantled, fire-damaged, flooddamaged, junk, rebuilt, salvage, reconstructed, irreparable or a total loss;

I read this as anyone with a secondhand car is excluded. I am considering taking out the two year warranty but need to clarify this first as my car was bought private party. Can anyone clarify.

Thanks Spanish

To further confuse, this is from the FAQ

Can anyone purchase Extended Warranty Insurance?

Model S, 3, X and Y owners whose Tesla was delivered less than 4 years ago and has less than 80,000 km on the odometer, can buy Extended Warranty Insurance. Owners who purchased a used vehicle directly from Tesla are not eligible to purchase Extended Warranty Insurance.

So owners who bough secondhand from Tesla cannot.

To further confuse, this is from the FAQ

Can anyone purchase Extended Warranty Insurance?

Model S, 3, X and Y owners whose Tesla was delivered less than 4 years ago and has less than 80,000 km on the odometer, can buy Extended Warranty Insurance. Owners who purchased a used vehicle directly from Tesla are not eligible to purchase Extended Warranty Insurance.

So owners who bough secondhand from Tesla cannot.
Used vehicles purchased from Tesla would not have a "New Vehicle Limited Warranty", so these two statements are entirely compatible. A used car bought from Tesla would have a "Used Vehicle Limited Warranty".

Is it any good? Does anyone know how it works?
Our 4 years is up in May.
Ideally at this price I take the Tesla to the service centre and they do the warranty work and then hand me back to the car. What I don't want is... I take the car to the Tesla service centre. They do the work, they bill me, I pay the bill then I start a protracted argument with Helvetia over why they should reimburse me 100% of the cost. 3 months later and numerous emails and calls later, as a gesture of goodwill they agree to pay 75% of the bill!

If it is the latter then I wont bother buying. If it is the former then I will buy.

I am in UK so my experience may be different to elsewhere. I bought the 4 year/50K miles extended warranty from Helvetia when I bought my used Model X from Lakeside in March 21 and before that on my used Model S. As mentioned it is a very good warranty (in the UK at least). I had to remind Tesla service center everytime I was in for a service that the car had extended warranty (they didnt seem to register it on the system). I had to show the certificate and they photocopied it and eventually it was recorded on file. I have had numerous things fixed over the years (including left side air suspension units on the S! which I was surprised it covered - may have got lucky there!). Nothing for me to pay. Hope this helps.

Turns out that there is no restriction on the number of owners. As long as you buy before the end of your bumper-to-bumper warranty expires. It's also transferable so will help if you want to sell...
The original post Clause 10 also excludes vehicles assembled from parts I.e. it had to have been bought from Tesla as a whole car originally. Less of a problem than it used to be. Potential for mis-selling insurance you can never benefit from otherwise (think PPI).

Did you get a Key Facts sheet? Interesting its a Lichtenstein based arm of a large Swiss insurer that has been operating in the UK under a temporary FCA passporting system that is currently due to end in Dec 2023 (presumably under a group registration FCA Register - Helvetia Assurances S.A). I wonder if they’ll continue offering an extended warranty after then or if there might be a gap while they update product/terms/marketing info etc.

Links for prosperity: Tesla Extended Warranty which links to Inzmo selling Helvetia Insurance.

This post is not advice.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Exy1
Now I am trying to figure out, is the insurance period an extension of the original warranty/insured period from Tesla?

For example, if my 2019 MX original factory warranty ends March 1, 2024 and I have only 60,000 KM on it, and I buy Helvetia's warranty/insurance for 3 years/60,000 KM, does that mean it is valid until March 1, 2027 and up to 160,000 KM?

Or is it 3 years/60,000 KM from the purchase date?

Attached are the terms and conditions. The relevant section:

"4. Upon purchase of the EWI, the coverage is retroactive to the Effective Date, provided that You are eligible and purchase this EWI within the Purchasing Period, and if applicable, You are the recipient of a valid transfer of this EWI pursuant to the terms of this EWI. The Insurance Period commences on the Effective Date and remains in effect pursuant to the extended period and mileage option selected herein; under no circumstances, including the transfer of this EWI, will this EWI be extended beyond the original Insurance Period or beyond 8 years or 160’000 km (100’000 mi) commencing from Tesla’s original delivery of the Vehicle. This EWI may not be renewed by You. Articles 5 through 16 shall survive any termination or expiration of this EWI. If repair or replacement cost exceed the cover limit at the time of the Failure, Your insurance will expire with Helvetia indemnification (total loss). "