Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Extension Cord now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
Ever since the Model S was released in 2012, one of the problems we Tesla owners have had is how to charge our cars when we are parked over 20' feet away from a receptacle. We've had various solutions including dedicated extension cords for particular receptacles (like a dryer receptacles) and in the general case, lugging around a heavy NEMA 14-50 receptacle with a bunch of adapters for other plugs. None of the solutions were great.

Quick Charge Power (I am not at all affiliated with them, I just happen to know the owner since he lives in my neck of the woods) is now taking pre orders for a Tesla cord extension cord with custom manufactured Tesla proprietary plug ends. So now we only need ONE extension cord, it isn't as bulky or as heavy as a NEMA 14-50 extension cord, and we don't need any funky adapters, just whatever Tesla adapters we want.

Tesla ELONG™ Tesla Extension Cable

That is interesting. The first issue I see off the top of my head would be thermal safeties. I believe the Tesla mobile connector has thermal sensors in it that would shut charging down if there is a thermal issue. Using the extension cord, you now lose the thermal sensors in proximity to the charge port in the car.

Interesting. This could be handy for me in the wintertime.

Long story short - my Wall Connector is mounted on the right side of my garage, which means I park on the ... right side of the driveway. My wife usually parks on the left side (when we have more than half a Buick.)

When we know it's going to snow or ice though, I usually move the vehicles to the middle of the driveway between the two doors, front-to-back. This way I can get the snowblower out of the garage, around all the cars and really only have to hand shovel what I pull off the car.

This extension cord would give me just enough flexibility to park anywhere I want in the driveway. Could be an interesting thought.

Interesting. This could be handy for me in the wintertime.

Long story short - my Wall Connector is mounted on the right side of my garage, which means I park on the ... right side of the driveway. My wife usually parks on the left side (when we have more than half a Buick.)

When we know it's going to snow or ice though, I usually move the vehicles to the middle of the driveway between the two doors, front-to-back. This way I can get the snowblower out of the garage, around all the cars and really only have to hand shovel what I pull off the car.

This extension cord would give me just enough flexibility to park anywhere I want in the driveway. Could be an interesting thought.

I suspect that this can only handle 32A or at most 40A. Meant for mobile connectors. You could use it with a wall connector but you’d have to limit amps to 40 or do. As usual with Quick Charge Power they have no specs.

Ever since the Model S was released in 2012, one of the problems we Tesla owners have had is how to charge our cars when we are parked over 20' feet away from a receptacle. We've had various solutions including dedicated extension cords for particular receptacles (like a dryer receptacles) and in the general case, lugging around a heavy NEMA 14-50 receptacle with a bunch of adapters for other plugs. None of the solutions were great.

Quick Charge Power (I am not at all affiliated with them, I just happen to know the owner since he lives in my neck of the woods) is now taking pre orders for a Tesla cord extension cord with custom manufactured Tesla proprietary plug ends. So now we only need ONE extension cord, it isn't as bulky or as heavy as a NEMA 14-50 extension cord, and we don't need any funky adapters, just whatever Tesla adapters we want.

Tesla ELONG™ Tesla Extension Cable

Will it work at a Supercharger?

So in talking with Tony Williams, the company owner, they will be making three versions of the elong. They'll have a 32A, a 48A and an 80A version. So @dmurphy, if you did want to use it with your Wall Connector at maximum power (48 amps), you'd get the 48A version.

For me personally, I'd only use it on the road with my Mobile Connector so all I need (and want, since it would be lighter) is the 32A version.

Also, if you tried to plug it into a Supercharger, the Supercharger would somehow detect that an extension is being used and not work, which is a good safety feature.

So in talking with Tony Williams, the company owner, they will be making three versions of the elong. They'll have a 32A, a 48A and an 80A version. So @dmurphy, if you did want to use it with your Wall Connector at maximum power (48 amps), you'd get the 48A version.

For me personally, I'd only use it on the road with my Mobile Connector so all I need (and want, since it would be lighter) is the 32A version.

Also, if you tried to plug it into a Supercharger, the Supercharger would somehow detect that an extension is being used and not work, which is a good safety feature.

That is an excellent feature indeed! And to be honest, for the few days a year I’d need to use it, even the 32a version would be fine. I’d just set the amp limit in the car. Not a big deal.

thanks for asking — sounds like another great product on the way!