TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla + EZPass = uglified. Need ideas!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by davedavedave, Jun 21, 2018.

1. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

So, this is functional: 165536B5-DC83-474C-A19E-2D16CDA86676.jpeg

But WOW does it hurt to look at when approaching the most beautiful car I’ve ever hoped to own. Some thoughts for alternatives: bumper mount, silver spray paint, black plastidip, 3d print a new case.... any other ideas? Should I just move it to the recommended location?

• Funny x 1
  2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  3. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Not sure about where you live, but the toll gates on bridges here are equipped with cameras as backup. If your toll pass can't be read for whatever reason (including not having it mounted), the camera takes a picture of your license plate. As long as you have a valid FasTrak account associated with that car, they will simply deduct the appropriate toll amount from your account. :)

EDIT: Oops, misread your last sentence. I thought you said, "Should I just move to a recommended location?" :)

4. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

5. Big Earl

The Transurban Express Lanes in Virginia will send you a hefty ticket if your transponder can't be read, even if you have a license plate that is registered with EZPass. They'll give you one (1) "good will" waiver of fees, but after that, tough luck. They also review the image of your car and question you if they can't see the transponder in the windshield, trying to claim that it's improperly mounted. I explained that I painted mine black and they backed off.

• Like x 1
  6. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

Yup, things are different in NoVA.

I forgot to mentiom that it’s the FLEX pass with the switch. I can’t find a vinyl pouch for it like I see on amazon. Appreciate all the ideas - keep ‘em coming!

7. deezevoltz

deezevoltz Member

I keep my VA EZ Pass in the console and wave it out the window above the car when going through tolls. Some tolls, like in Ohio, wouldn't read through my windshield reliably near my dash cam.

8. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Has anyone tried mounting their EZPass tag to the glass roof?

9. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  10. PoitNarf

Eh, I prefer having the style tag that EZPass uses. I use a suction cup mount so that I can easily move it to a new vehicle (transferred the tag from my old car to my Model 3) or use it in a rental or loaner vehicle. Plus it works on pretty much the entire east coast.

11. Dogwhistle

Dogwhistle Member

Put it in the recommended area. You can’t see it from the left seat, and looks semi-normal from the outside.

• Like x 4
  12. PoitNarf

This is where mine is located as well. However I think the issue that @davedavedave has is because he is in VA they have this weird different version of EZPass that has an actual switch on it that you need to flip for certain scenarios. So I believe people with that style EZPass need to be able to easily reach their tag to flip the switch. Glad that those of us in the tri-state area don’t need to deal with such nonsense :D

• Like x 2
  13. Dogwhistle

Dogwhistle Member

I don’t mind it in the recommended area. It would drive me nucking futs if I had to look at it attached to the back of my display! Just do a reach-around to flip the switch, if that’s what’s needed.

• Funny x 1
  14. Big Earl

... and all the way to Illinois! :)

• Like x 1
  15. hoang51

hoang51 Member

I'm in NoVA and have the EZ Pass Flex (HOV freeloading!). I use this suction cup mount between two of my cars. It attaches to the windshield nicely and firm.

https://www.amazon.com/JL-Safety-EZ-Flex-Port-pictures/dp/B00CJIXAYO/

I paid about $8 for it back in 2015 on eBay.

• Like x 1
  16. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

Is this really a problem? Just snug it up on the passenger side behind rearview mirror... Never see it

Now the ridiculous PA windows stickers on the other hand.... F'em!

• Like x 1
  17. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

Ya - Florida too. Much smarter!

18. aseth

aseth Member

I stuck my MA transponder to the back of the “ipad”. Can’t see it from inside the car and it works perfectly.

19. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I coloured mine in with a black marker. Different spot and shape than yours but it’s amazing what a colour change can do.

20. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Nice! Ordered three so I can move my one pass around.