Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla + EZPass = uglified. Need ideas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, this is functional: 165536B5-DC83-474C-A19E-2D16CDA86676.jpeg

But WOW does it hurt to look at when approaching the most beautiful car I’ve ever hoped to own. Some thoughts for alternatives: bumper mount, silver spray paint, black plastidip, 3d print a new case.... any other ideas? Should I just move it to the recommended location?

• Funny
Reactions: emorog
So, this is functional: View attachment 311509

But WOW does it hurt to look at when approaching the most beautiful car I’ve ever hoped to own. Some thoughts for alternatives: bumper mount, silver spray paint, black plastidip, 3d print a new case.... any other ideas? Should I just move it to the recommended location?
Not sure about where you live, but the toll gates on bridges here are equipped with cameras as backup. If your toll pass can't be read for whatever reason (including not having it mounted), the camera takes a picture of your license plate. As long as you have a valid FasTrak account associated with that car, they will simply deduct the appropriate toll amount from your account. :)

EDIT: Oops, misread your last sentence. I thought you said, "Should I just move to a recommended location?" :)

Not sure about where you live, but the toll gates on bridges here are equipped with cameras as backup. If your toll pass can't be read for whatever reason (including not having it mounted), the camera takes a picture of your license plate. As long as you have a valid FasTrak account associated with that car, they will simply deduct the appropriate toll amount from your account. :)

EDIT: Oops, misread your last sentence. I thought you said, "Should I just move to a recommended location?" :)

The Transurban Express Lanes in Virginia will send you a hefty ticket if your transponder can't be read, even if you have a license plate that is registered with EZPass. They'll give you one (1) "good will" waiver of fees, but after that, tough luck. They also review the image of your car and question you if they can't see the transponder in the windshield, trying to claim that it's improperly mounted. I explained that I painted mine black and they backed off.

Reactions: hoang51
The Transurban Express Lanes in Virginia will send you a hefty ticket if your transponder can't be read, even if you have a license plate that is registered with EZPass. They'll give you one (1) "good will" waiver of fees, but after that, tough luck. They also review the image of your car and question you if they can't see the transponder in the windshield, trying to claim that it's improperly mounted. I explained that I painted mine black and they backed off.

Yup, things are different in NoVA.

I forgot to mentiom that it’s the FLEX pass with the switch. I can’t find a vinyl pouch for it like I see on amazon. Appreciate all the ideas - keep ‘em coming!

Y’all sure are backwards up on the east coast. In Texas we have a very small sticker with a RFID chip that goes inside the windshield by the rear view mirror.
https://www.txtag.org/en/about/basics_installing.shtml

Eh, I prefer having the style tag that EZPass uses. I use a suction cup mount so that I can easily move it to a new vehicle (transferred the tag from my old car to my Model 3) or use it in a rental or loaner vehicle. Plus it works on pretty much the entire east coast.

Put it in the recommended area. You can’t see it from the left seat, and looks semi-normal from the outside.

This is where mine is located as well. However I think the issue that @davedavedave has is because he is in VA they have this weird different version of EZPass that has an actual switch on it that you need to flip for certain scenarios. So I believe people with that style EZPass need to be able to easily reach their tag to flip the switch. Glad that those of us in the tri-state area don’t need to deal with such nonsense :D

Yup, things are different in NoVA.

I forgot to mentiom that it’s the FLEX pass with the switch. I can’t find a vinyl pouch for it like I see on amazon. Appreciate all the ideas - keep ‘em coming!

I'm in NoVA and have the EZ Pass Flex (HOV freeloading!). I use this suction cup mount between two of my cars. It attaches to the windshield nicely and firm.

https://www.amazon.com/JL-Safety-EZ-Flex-Port-pictures/dp/B00CJIXAYO/

I paid about $8 for it back in 2015 on eBay.

Reactions: Big Earl