Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla faces $89k in fines for incident that injured workers at Fremont facility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
by Dana Hull

FREMONT -- Tesla Motors has been fined $89,000 by the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health for seven safety violations related to a workplace incident that injured and burned three workers last November.

Three employees at Tesla's Fremont factory were injured Nov. 13 when a low-pressure aluminum casting press failed, spilling hot metal on the workers and causing their clothing to catch on fire.
"Molten metal was released splattering the three victims, the victims' clothing caught fire, they stopped and rolled on the floor," reads the Cal-OSHA report. "The safety department called 911. The Fremont Fire Department arrived within 10 minutes approximately

Tesla employees Jesus Navarro, Kevin Carter and Jorge Terrazas were taken to Valley Medical Center in San Jose with second and third degree burns. Navarro, who had multiple burns on his hands, stomach, hip, lower back and ankles, was hospitalized for 20 days.

Cal-OSHA's investigation, which was recently completed, found that Tesla failed to ensure that the low-pressure die casting machine was maintained in a safe operating condition and allowed its employees to operate the machine while the safety interlock was broken. The employees were not wearing face shields or safety jackets when working near the molten metal. The supervisor admitted that he had not completed any written safety inspections of the department and had not been trained or read Tesla's Injury and Illness Prevention Program.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_25677719/exclusive-tesla-motors-faces-89-000-fines-incident

I hope its over but I don't think so in this lawsuit-happy country. If I spent 20 days in a hospital with 2nd and 3rd degree burns I might hire a lawyer too. Tesla will have to pay a lot more for this one before its over folks.

I hope its over but I don't think so in this lawsuit-happy country. If I spent 20 days in a hospital with 2nd and 3rd degree burns I might hire a lawyer too. Tesla will have to pay a lot more for this one before its over folks.

Agreed. The fines might be reduced - but its the work comp settlements that are going to cost a bit. Temporary disability for a bunch of them, probably some with permanent disability from burns/scars and psych. Of course, the work comp insurance is going to pay that out, not Tesla.

My understanding is that all three workers have long since returned to work. I'd imagine all their medical expenses were paid for by Tesla along with any other costs. If you recall, Elon Musk was at the hospital visiting. I'm quite sure he saw to it that the employees and their families were well looked after.

Humans make mistakes. That doesn't imply that Tesla wasn't taking the matter seriously.

Well I'm not saying they weren't taking it seriously before, but clearly there's room to be more serious about it. Not providing the workers with proper PPE and having no equipment inspection policy is a pretty glaring and obvious oversight that suggests that Tesla was talking H&S a little too lightly. Whilst I'm not demonising Tesla for making a mistake (I totally understand how it happened, Tesla is a very young manufacturer who is growing very quickly), I am advocating that they learn from it.

Agreed. The fines might be reduced - but its the work comp settlements that are going to cost a bit. Temporary disability for a bunch of them, probably some with permanent disability from burns/scars and psych. Of course, the work comp insurance is going to pay that out, not Tesla.
Ultimately Tesla bears the costs. If the site has too many injuries and work comp payouts, insurance premiums for business go up.