TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla factory to LA in a 40kWh? Any thoughts or ideas?

Discussion in 'California' started by htsai14752, Jan 30, 2013.

1. htsai14752

htsai14752 Member

I ordered a 40 kw battery pack. I don't ever plan on taking this car for long road trips however, I would like to take delivery of this vehicle at the tesla factory and make the long drive back to LA. Any recommendations on how to do so or if I should even consider doing this? I could take the easy way out and pick up from my local store but what's the fun in that. :biggrin:

2. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

I suppose it depends on whether you plan on driving @55mph or 70mph. Driving 55mph presents problems on the 5 freeway, but the difference is probably an extra recharge. I'd want to plan on a 2 day trip. All you need to do is find KOA campgrounds or RV parks with electrical hookups. I'd assume there are resources on the internet to find charge locations.

Personally, I'd opt for local delivery and just try to arrange a round trip flight to take the factory tour, which would be the big draw for me. Driving through the Central Valley is extremely boring, and the 101 would make for a much longer trip.

3. smoothoperator2

Take the 101 and use the Rabobank Stations.

4. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

5. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Recargo app shows a lot of charging places along hwy 101

6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Rabobanks along the 101 have 70amp Clipper Creek chargers that were originally for Roadsters, but most have been converted to J1772. You can find them all on the Tesla Highway map - blue markers are 70amp.

Tesla Highway - Google Maps

7. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

Drive 60 mph on 101 and stop at the Rabobank charging stations that support 70A charging over J1772. There is a long stretch in the middle of the trip without any public charging stations so you need to carefully check whether you will have enough range to make it. You might have to stay overnight somewhere along the way and charge at 120V at a motel. Life's an adventure.

8. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Twin chargers are key. Those 70 amp EVSEs become 40 amps if you only have one charger, and some of them are probably 208 volts instead of 240, which slows things down further.