TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Factory Visit

Discussion in 'Model S' started by amitb00, Jan 7, 2014.

1. amitb00

amitb00 Member

My S-85 will be available in late Feb. I live in Florida and have an upcoming trip to CA in Feb second week. I am thinking to visit Tesla factory if they allow trips. Does any one know if they do it? I briefly went to their website and it was saying that public tours not available. I am not sure if prospective owner tour is available. I have asked them as well but it takes two days to respond.
    Cheers,
    Amit

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

New owners who pick up their car at the factory can get a tour on the day they pick up. Hopefully as a new owner you will be able to arrange for a tour next month. Let us know what response you get from Tesla.

3. amitb00

amitb00 Member

Hmm... I will not be picking up the car though. Let me find out, what it the official response by Tesla and then will update.

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I think they've done this for other buyers. If not, you just have to find someone who is taking factory delivery who will allow you to be their guest.

5. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

Call your local gallery. Or service center. If your purchased your car from a gallery call them and ask them to help you set this up. Since you have confirmed your order they will set it up for you. We took delivery on 11/15 and took a factory tour on 10/21 when we were in California on vacation. I received an email from someone at the. Factory and he set everything up for me and even vent the rules a bit on my daughters height (she was an inch to short) so we wouldn't miss it. And I'm so glad we didn't such an amazing factory!!

6. amitb00

amitb00 Member

I sent an email to Tesla. They called me in 2 hours and scheduled a factory visit at 11 am on 13 Feb. Trips are hour long. I will give details of the visit later on. Very excited about the visit.

7. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

Suggest you check out this thread that I started. Welcome to the "club" from a fellow Floridian.

Factory Tour Wiki

8. amitb00

amitb00 Member

My visit went well on 13-Feb. It is indeed an amazing factory. So impressive to see how Kuka robots make more than 50% of the car. Whole car gets assembled in 3-4 days. Most time is taken in painting. One other interesting thing was that before shipping cars to EU they disassemble (take out the tire) which is assembled back in EU to get some tax credits there. They bought the factory which is valued at more than a Billion Dollar at just 40 m dollars. Staff there was so friendly. I hope you can see the below pictures.
    https://www.facebook.com/amit.baranwal.587/posts/729194893779560
    Too bad they don't allow pictures inside the factory. I told them that they are missing a huge free PR opportunity and they agreed and said they are working on it.
    Looking forward to 10-Mar for the car.

9. Park2670

Park2670 Member

Im not an owner yet, but am looking to take a tour. I know that they only offer it to owners at this point, has anybody had the ability to go not being an owner?

10. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Owners taking the tour are allowed to bring guests. You can try to find an owner taking delivery and see if you can tag along.

11. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

So there is supposed to be a sign that says how many they are currently building per day, any chance you got a glimpse at the sign to provide an update on that part of production?

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I did not see such a sign during my factory tour on Dec 21, 2013.

13. Kalud

Kalud Member

I did visit the Factory in late-January and really enjoyed it! I saw that sign, but, like any one that visited the factory, there is a strict no-pics and non-disclosure agreement of proprietary information for 90 days after the visit.

14. chickensevil

Well come April, I expect a full report :p

stupid NDAs... Haha, was worth a shot right?

15. Kalud

Kalud Member

:rolleyes:

16. amitb00

amitb00 Member

There are two shifts every day and factory runs 5 days a week. There current capacity is 100-150 cars a day.

17. Spenny818

Spenny818 Member

I will be visiting California October 19-27, staying about 30 minutes from Fremont. If anyone is expecting delivery in that window and is planning on a factory tour, I would love the opportunity to tag along as a guest! It would definitely turn my vacation up to 11! :biggrin:

18. DrGuest

DrGuest Member

This is a great description of a very recent tour in November 2014 on BLDGBLOG
    Here are a few great quotes from the blog,

"The coolest thing about a tour of the Tesla factory out in Fremont, California, is the huge metal-stamping machine—a behemoth piece of equipment that applies more than five thousand tons of pressure in order to mold metal parts in an instant. "
    "
    The instantaneous hydraulic detonation of what sounds like a chord thus rings out from this infernal musical instrument, augmented by the foot-shuddering bass of the stamp itself, which sends small earthquakes rolling out through the floor."
    "The idea behind the tour was not only to see robots at work but to experience the spatial logic of a factory, its interior the size of 80 football fields broken down into sequential functions and clusters, with color-coded circulation diagrams painted directly onto the concrete floor. "
    "You see "laser-calibration trees," or knobby poles branching with small geometric ornaments; they are used by laser-scanners for re-booting themselves after measuring the frames of new cars. "
    "At the very end of the process, you see massive, Japanese-made robots lifting entire finished Teslas overhead as if they're feathers. Each machine has been named by Elon Musk after X-Men characters: there is Thunderbird and Cyclops, Storm and Colossus, Xavier, Changeling, Ice Man, Wolverine, and Angel. "
    "
    At one point, our tour guide gestured out at literally dozens—perhaps hundreds—of new robots still under plastic wrap, all awaiting training and installation. The factory is expanding dramatically as Tesla gears up for the release of theirnew SUV.

We have "an army of robots under plastic," the guide said enthusiastically, and he laughed. If there's ever a robot uprising, he joked, this is probably not the best place to be."

http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2014/11/amongst-machines-visit-to-tesla-factory.html

19. chickensevil

Love it when people employ great writing style on these things! :D

20. DrGuest

DrGuest Member

+1 :)