Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Fails Again.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Serious:
This is a common event in our neighborhood. I stop/park and wait until they clear my property. I won't get home any quicker by tailing (har) them. Usually it's horses though. But sometime folk walking their dogs. They have the right of way, and I don't want to risk spooking an animal.

Reactions: int32_t and 22522
  • Funny
Reactions: jgs
I keep thinking I should mount one of these outside the driver's window for such occasions.
s-l1000.jpg

But seriously, it would be nice to have a secondary horn button that plays a polite "ahem" sound instead of the usual "GTFO!!!!!!!" horn noise.

Edit to add:

My gen 1 Volt had a pedestrian horn that worked well for that and for getting geese to move.

Oh, I see it's been done. Now I really want it! Is the horn a programmable speaker, or a unit that only can produce one noise, I wonder?

I keep thinking I should mount one of these outside the driver's window for such occasions.
s-l1000.jpg

But seriously, it would be nice to have a secondary horn button that plays a polite "ahem" sound instead of the usual "GTFO!!!!!!!" horn noise.

Edit to add:

Oh, I see it's been done. Now I really want it! Is the horn a programmable speaker, or a unit that only can produce one noise, I wonder?

This isn't my video, (I have a Model S now instead of a Volt) but it shows how it worked. Chevy removed it from the Gen 2 Volt for unknown reasons.

Reactions: jgs

Here's what I'm putting together (below). It's fully programmable (but no programming skill needed), just drag and drop audio files to the device via USB):

I've already ordered the parts to build a pre-production unit for testing, and if that goes well, I'll package it all up into a neat little package for simple installation into a Tesla. Pretty much any short soundbyte can be added (up to four sounds/channels).

Other options by request:

Here's what I'm putting together (below). It's fully programmable (but no programming skill needed), just drag and drop audio files to the device via USB):

I've already ordered the parts to build a pre-production unit for testing, and if that goes well, I'll package it all up into a neat little package for simple installation into a Tesla. Pretty much any short soundbyte can be added (up to four sounds/channels).

Other options by request:

Needs the Kitt scanner sound :cool:

So I'm pulling into my alley way this evening and unbeknownst to my neighbor, who is slowly walking her dogs down the alley, and because the car is so quiet, neither she nor the dogs realize I am creeping behind 10 feet behind them for about 100 feet. Do I honk? No, that would jar them... I can wait for them and I will quietly stalk all of them at 2 mph down the alley.

Then, Elon (McFail) Musk decides to put a GPS specific homelink option in the car so just as my neighbor is passing in front of my the garage, it opens suddenly and the dogs run away! She looks back and I waive embarrassingly because she realizes I've been behind her for 100 feet and thinks I just now opened the garage door to tell her to get the hell out of the way. She apologizes and jogs off to try to catch her dogs.... I yell down the alley, "I'm sorry! The car opens the garage door automatically via GPS"

She has no idea what I'm talking about.

Thanks Elon.
The Volt has a very elegant solution of a soft horn at the end of the turn signal stalk. It works well and is not jarring.

Reactions: HankLloydRight