Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Filing Shows Plans for Restaurants

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Elon Musk has talked about a Tesla diner for years and now it seems the company is moving closer to making it a reality.

Filings by the electric car company last week with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office indicate Tesla is considering “restaurant services, pop-up restaurant services, self-service restaurant services, take-out restaurant services.”

The applications filed were related to using Tesla’s logo for food service.

In April, Musk replied to a tweet showing a line of Tesla vehicles waiting to charge. He mentioned a “major new Supercharger station coming to Santa Monica soon!” Additionally, Musk said the station would have a 50’s diner or drive-in playing movies.

Tesla previously dabbled in food and drink with the release of a Tesla-branded tequila called “Teslaquila.” In October 2018, Tesla filed an application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to trademark the brand name “Teslaquila.” The liquor was finally released in 2020 at $250 a bottle and sold out quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that is a knock on a Service Center, then you live in the wrong state. I am in Worthington, Ohio and the Columbus Service Center does a phenomenal job!

Indeed it was. Took me 3 months to get parts ordered last time I needed something, had to buy a used part on ebay to get me through their ordering process.

I don't mean it took 3 months to be delivered...I mean it took 3 months for them to respond to my parts request - which i had to submit via email - and actually get things ordered.

A few years back we stopped at Kettleman City with 40 stalls(250kW) and a nice owners lounge. Also air and window cleaning stuff. There was a nice lady making cappuccinos in the bistro. They also had vending machines with pretty good sandwiches. We visited with some owners and had a great time. Charging was so fast we moved our car.
Service centers now have body shops and I love the app for making appointments. Hardly need service ever but had mobile service come up to fix a thumb knob. Incredible service and no steelership charges. No stress service.
I would like more organic type foods in the new restaurants. Starbucks is great and we like the Impossible breakfast sandwich.
Tesla should consider something like Chipotle type meals also. Just charge your Tesla account making service fast even using Tesla app menu to have ready on arrival.
Root beer floats please.
Tesla already has something like 70000 employees; they may need double that.

I think its great that Tesla continues to think outside the box, so to speak. But restaraunts at SuperChargers will be few adn far between for years. Just not enough consistent volume to make it work. I've been to Kettleman numerous times over the past year and sometimes there are only a handful of us charging. Sure, on the holidays they can be full, but spending thousands of dollars for kitchen equipment, hiring/training staff, just to be used on weekends is a non-starter.

I hope their kitchens use solar wherever possible for electricity, and no fossil fuels (propane/natural gas stoves) at all.
In our household we got rid of propane and oil and with our Solar system, heat pump water heater, and all electric appliances our electricity is net zero.
With Tesla energy making photovoltaic, battery systems and controlling software their facilities might make a larger profit than a regular restaurant. Add the Tesla Semi for deliveries and it seems a no brainer. Elon's brother also farms and could provide fresh produce.
Its a beautiful thing.

This would be great, Supercharge and restaurant there :) Saves time walking to a place etc.
Looks like Tesla is moving forward as the chainlink fence around the Tesla property has come down at 14th and Santa Monica Blvd and two 18 wheeler flatbeds with temporary urban chargers are sitting in the middle of the property.
3E0AF9CE-C47F-424D-AAE7-73D8B6651AC6.jpeg

Attachments

• C9057F80-6A0A-4109-A319-80FD05994097.jpeg
    C9057F80-6A0A-4109-A319-80FD05994097.jpeg
    747.9 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: dm28997
I don't know why they mention Teslaquila. That was just a pun made concrete.

Dining is a challenge for EV charging. Capacity constraints mean networks encourage people to charge fast and leave, but when sitting down for a meal, you don't want to be rushed to get back and move your vehicle. So a charging hub with sit-down dining and a large number of 75kW chargers could provide something useful.

Or, like 90% of restaurants, it could fail within a year because the food sucks.

Still, it's worth a try. If it works, there's probably a large number of closed-down restaurant locations that could be turned into EVteries. (I'm coining the term.)